Three best rides w/in 2hrs of Austin...- Mtbr.com
    Keep on Rockin...

Three best rides w/in 2hrs of Austin...

I'm in Austin right now and need some help finding a few good rides. Tomorrow (weather permitting) I'll be checking out the Greenbelt off Barton Creek as I heard it has some pretty good riding.

Over the following few days I'll have the opportunity to get outside of the city and would like to ride some other trails. I'm looking for challenging single track. What two other spots/rides would you suggest with 2 hours or so? I've checked into Austinbike.com and it's a great site but I'd still like someone to point me toward what they feel are the "best" spots.

We are thinking of heading south toward Fredricksburg to check out
    Enchanted Rocks Natural Area for a hike. Any good trails near that area?

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville about an hour out of Austin. Great trails.

http://www.boomersrockyhill.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Flat Rock and Cameron Park

Flat Rock
    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/comfort/index.asp#_self

Also, Cameron Park in Waco
    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/cameronpark/index.asp

Both about an hour and half from Austin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    We are thinking of heading...
    "We"?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

meh... whatever
    the best BY FAR within 2 hours of austin is cameron park. nothing else even comes close.

get a current trail map at www.keepwacowacko.com

its got the current race course on it (the outback blowout is in april) but its accurate and has all the new trails.

if you have any questions pm me or call the guys at bicycles outback 254.772.2453

because its a trail system rather than an out and back its best if possible to go with a local. im healing from a road bike incident involving a ditzy broad or id offer a tour.

there is a club ride that meets every sunday at the redwood shelter in cameron park at about 1:45 for a ride. groups break up according to self assessed ability.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Jan 2006
    Muleshoe Bend is a great ride as well.
    Flat Rock is great as is Rocky Hill.

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks folks,

If it stops raining I'll be getting out. Planned on riding Thurs but was a bit too wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Miker,
    Have you tried City Park here in Austin? Very technical, Very fun and difficult going up.
    If you go to Rocky Hill Ranch be sure to get a map.
    Good Luck,
    MCtigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Why would you drive from austin with so much in austin???

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Why would you drive from austin with so much in austin???
    as a native austinite might i respond with "quantity doesnt always equate to quality."

im not ragging the trails, theres some really decent riding in austin. the greenbelt is great to have right in the middle of the city. but theres some really awesome riding within an hour and a half of austin that is WELL worth the drive.
    Last edited by monogod; 03-24-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Keep on Rockin...

The last two days...

rode the Greenbelt. Very nice stuff. Today was better than yesterday as I hooked up with a local who showed me around. Good guy. Great time. I couldn't help it and just had to stop for a swim in the creek. There are a lot of creek crossings so my shoes got a good washing. Unreal that you could have such a spot right here in the city. I may go back tomorrow but will likely check out some of the other spots within the next two days.

Thanks to everybody.

meh... whatever
    Unreal that you could have such a spot right here in the city.
    hey mikerj, if you liked that go ride cameron park.. youll love it. groovy single track, much more up and down, lots of tree cover, everything from tight (some parts of shist and kite) to flowy (california 56, johnnie, some parts of shist and kite, powder monkey, webers run) to some nutso stuff too (trails like bat cave, babbler, lock 'em up, cambodia, and ho chi min). quite a few with some decent elevation change too (highlander, buzzard, erect, kidney, powerline). no creek crossings, but you can swim in the brazos!

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks monogod and everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    hey mikerj, if you liked that go ride cameron park.. youll love it. groovy single track, much more up and down, lots of tree cover, everything from tight (some parts of shist and kite) to flowy (california 56, johnnie, some parts of shist and kite, powder monkey, webers run) to some nutso stuff too (trails like bat cave, babbler, lock 'em up, cambodia, and ho chi min). quite a few with some decent elevation change too (highlander, buzzard, erect, kidney, powerline). no creek crossings, but you can swim in the brazos!

Well, yesterday we (wife and I) headed out toward Giddings. She had some relatives there she wanted to say hello to so we figured we'd be out that way and may as well hit up the Rocky Ranch by Smithville to save on some driving. With sketchy weather we didn't want to drive two hours to a place farther away only to have to turn around when we got there if it started to rain. If we had more time we definitely would have liked to hit up the other suggestions. The trails were nice and I was glad we went. They were mostly very smooth and flowy with tight, windy single track. Good for the rigid bike I brought. Being from PA I get more than enough rocky, technical riding. Flowy, smooth single track is what PA lacks so it worked out well. I'm going to link the other suggestions and try to hit them up on my next visit.

Thanks again,

Mike

mtbr member
    RHR is not in the same league with Cameron Park. CP is as real mtb as it gets in TX.

Keep on Rockin...

Next visit...

Quote Originally Posted by poff
    RHR is not in the same league with Cameron Park. CP is as real mtb as it gets in TX.
    The weather sort of played into our decision. Cameron Park did look the best on paper and I was planning on going. Next time I'm in Austin.

Mike

meh... whatever
    The weather sort of played into our decision. Cameron Park did look the best on paper and I was planning on going. Next time I'm in Austin.

Mike
    lemme know when youre coming back through, and ill give you the $2 tour.

doctor just cleared me to road bike, and ill be back on the trails in a few more weeks, and back up to full speed by mid summer.

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    lemme know when youre coming back through, and ill give you the $2 tour.

doctor just cleared me to road bike, and ill be back on the trails in a few more weeks, and back up to full speed by mid summer.
    I'd come back for the food alone. I think I spent too much time at Cheuy's, like 5 times in one week.

meh... whatever
    I'd come back for the food alone. I think I spent too much time at Cheuy's, like 5 times in one week.
    and then there's baby a's, shady grove, pizza nizza, veggie heaven, mothers, tom's, green mesquite, double daves, romeos, ropollo's, and... and... and...

Members who have read this thread: 0