Texas Spring Race Circuit- Mtbr.com
    Big Boy

Texas Spring Race Circuit

I just registered for my first mountain bike race at Warda in a couple weeks. I will be racing category 3 19-29 y/o. If I like it I plan on doing at least 3 or 4 more races in this spring circuit for TMBRA. Anybody raced here before? How many people should I expect to be racing against? Which races in the spring are the big ones with more people? Also, how good is the competition in category 3? I am a clyde and not in super shape, but i have pretty good technical skills. I dont expect to podium but i dont wanna be DFL either. Honestly, I am a bit nervous so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I am also super stoked and since i registered i have been riding/exercising alot more to drop some weight. Any insight would be appreciated.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just go have fun in Cat3 the top of the category are usually Cat 2 sandbaggers. You'll be frustrated if you have technical skill during a race because what typically happens on technical features is everyone dismounts and walks it which even if you *can* clean it you have people in your way. Learning how to dismount and run up technical stuff would be good training if you want to make passes.

I'd be sure to register for at least the Mellow Johnny's classic and the Pace Bend race which IMO are two of the best courses in the series if you like anything remotely technical.

Big Boy
    Thanks for the good advice. I cant find any distances for the race lengths. But, the tmbra site says cat 3 is usually between an hour to an hour and a half long ride. So, are all the races about 9-15 miles?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That distance sounds about right. Pace Bend is ~10 per loop and Mellow Johnny's is ~8.5 per lap.

mtbr member
    I've done a few races before, but this will be my first time riding Warda. You can probably expect 10 to 20 people in your age group. Practice your start. Have one foot (preferably your "weaker foot") clipped in and stand with the other foot on the ground. Then hop up, get clipped in and start pedaling. Make sure your bike is in a gear your comfortable in because the start is usually a mass sprint.

Don't wear yourself out too early, or you'll pay for it sooner than later. Pace yourself. If a rider wants to pass you he will (or should) call out his pass. Acknowledge the request. It's usually the passing riders responsibility to make a safe pass, but I usually move over slightly when it is safe. If you want to pass someone call it out. The racer, should allow you over when it's safe, but it doesn't always happen. Just communicate and make the pass when it's safe.

Most importantly, have fun. I remember reading that the distance for Cat 3 will be approx 14 miles. That will be 2 laps. But the course is so fast that is will probably take an average of 1 hour to complete for both laps. Usually, other course are 1 lap, at 8 to 12 miles with an average time of 1 hour.

Oh, and there's a free first time racer's clinic the day before the race at 1:00pm. They cover a lot of this stuff. Alan & Kathy run a good session and I'd recommend it if this is your first race ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    Just go have fun in Cat3 the top of the category are usually Cat 2 sandbaggers. You'll be frustrated if you have technical skill during a race because what typically happens on technical features is everyone dismounts and walks it which even if you *can* clean it you have people in your way. Learning how to dismount and run up technical stuff would be good training if you want to make passes.

I'd be sure to register for at least the Mellow Johnny's classic and the Pace Bend race which IMO are two of the best courses in the series if you like anything remotely technical.
    It's been about 7 years since I rode Warda - I'm getting back into this and I'm thinking about racing next spring. I can't remember ever having to dismount there. There was a really steep downhill that was paved with asphalt before, is that still there?

So how much of a step up is Cat 2? If you can ride Pace Bend, Rocky Hill, Warda, etc without ever dismounting does that make you Cat 2? Or a top-level Cat 3?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcraw
    It's been about 7 years since I rode Warda - I'm getting back into this and I'm thinking about racing next spring. I can't remember ever having to dismount there. There was a really steep downhill that was paved with asphalt before, is that still there?

So how much of a step up is Cat 2? If you can ride Pace Bend, Rocky Hill, Warda, etc without ever dismounting does that make you Cat 2? Or a top-level Cat 3?
    Just because you can no dab a trail doesn't mean you should cat up... shoot for a few top 10 or podium finishes before you cat up or else you'll just be frustrated at the back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    Just because you can no dab a trail doesn't mean you should cat up... shoot for a few top 10 or podium finishes before you cat up or else you'll just be frustrated at the back of the pack.
    Thanks. That's what I thought but it made me think when it mentioned that everyone is dismounting all the time.

mtbr member
    Fellas,...Im thinking of trying this racing out. Not the one in Warda coming up, but later,..when I can lose some weight first . But Im thinking of being a spectator. Besides actually seeing the race,..will there be some sort of booths open with indepth information about racing? Maybe some sponsor ones that are selling anythng related to MTB'ing and racing? Sorry if these are dumb questions,..I have no clue what goes on out there. Thx ahead of time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pace Bend and Mellow Johnnys are the only two that come to mind in recent years that had any good spectating or booths... the racing in Cat 3 isn't really that bad, best way to spectate is just show up and run what ya brung.

mtbr member
    You mean just jump right into it and race? I thought of that,..but that farthest Ive ridden in one ride is 12 miles. And at an easy pace,..with breaks. Maybe I missunderstood you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    Fellas,...Im thinking of trying this racing out. Not the one in Warda coming up, but later,..when I can lose some weight first . But Im thinking of being a spectator. Besides actually seeing the race,..will there be some sort of booths open with indepth information about racing? Maybe some sponsor ones that are selling anythng related to MTB'ing and racing? Sorry if these are dumb questions,..I have no clue what goes on out there. Thx ahead of time.
    I'd say the best spectating is behind the bike. Just give it a shot.

Here's a video of one of my past races. It's not a TMBRA race, but it'll give you a good idea on what to expect.

http://ampcyclist.wordpress.com/2010...reek-preserve/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCodeMunkee
    I'd say the best spectating is behind the bike. Just give it a shot.

Here's a video of one of my past races. It's not a TMBRA race, but it'll give you a good idea on what to expect.

http://ampcyclist.wordpress.com/2010...reek-preserve/
    Oh Okay!,..that gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I for one would just concetrate on finishing the race since im so out of shape. It seems like the people that don't live nearby and ride the race trails, are really at a disadvantage huh? I gotta get to riding more often. Thx for the video,.great job on the race too.

Big Boy
    well, i am 255 right now at 6 foot. so you arent the only one who is out of shape and overweight. Registering for this race is giving me motivation to ride more, but i am in by no means top shape. Im just gonna do the best I can and see how i compare to others. And, to see if i even like racing. which i am almost positive i will. If you go, ill be the fat one lined up at the back with a scott scale 29er. probably pissing on myself.

mtbr member
    Oh Okay!,..that gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I for one would just concetrate on finishing the race since im so out of shape.
    Sounds like a good first start. You might surprise yourself.

It seems like the people that don't live nearby and ride the race trails, are really at a disadvantage huh?
    No, not necessarily. It does help to pre-ride though, but anyone from out of town can come to your home trail and show you what's up.

I gotta get to riding more often. Thx for the video,.great job on the race too.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    well, i am 255 right now at 6 foot. so you arent the only one who is out of shape and overweight. Registering for this race is giving me motivation to ride more, but i am in by no means top shape. Im just gonna do the best I can and see how i compare to others. And, to see if i even like racing. which i am almost positive i will. If you go, ill be the fat one lined up at the back with a scott scale 29er. probably pissing on myself.
    ,...and I'd be right back there too,...sucking on my thumb.

You got a good point,..registering would give me a lil'kick in the ass.

Big Boy
    evilcodemunkee, that was a great video. The comments helped too. Now im not quite as scared. If the warda race is anything like the trails here though those nice passing areas are non-existent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You mean just jump right into it and race? I thought of that,..but that farthest Ive ridden in one ride is 12 miles. And at an easy pace,..with breaks. Maybe I missunderstood you.
    I'd say go ride Warda one day, see how long it takes you then compare it to the results here
    http://www.tmbra.org/tresults.htm . If you are well of the pace you might want to wait until you are in much better shape.

Big Boy
    Well, the weekend is almost here. I heard over 350 people have pre registered which way more than i expected. I am getting very pumped.

Wrench
    Good luck man!

I was out riding Warda during the 12 hour race recently.

Of course, it was a little different weather a few weeks back...

Go out and have fun. It's a really fast course, and enjoy the great 45 degree descent!

Big Boy
    Any reccommendations for tires? Im on a 29er and for tires ive got icons, rocket rons, and ignitors. Rocket Rons are mounted right now.

Wrench
    Your rocket rons should have plenty of traction for this weekend. I know a friend of mine who ran Ignitors out there and did not like them at all. He said he was slipping all over the place. Not sure why, but that's just what he said.

Just keep in mind, from the pasture you will be going fast. But when they tell you to SLOW DOWN on Gas Pass, go ahead and slow down. Hitting it at top speed can be a handfull!

Big Boy
    Fun day and race, but not quite the finish i thought. I placed 26th out of 31 finishers (unofficial) with a stop to hurl and a stop to pull a derailleur out of my rim. But fun nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Fun day and race, but not quite the finish i thought. I placed 26th out of 31 finishers (unofficial) with a stop to hurl and a stop to pull a derailleur out of my rim. But fun nonetheless.
    Sounds like a great first race. That 2nd lap was brutal for me. Good to meet you out there!

Big Boy
    Sounds like a great first race. That 2nd lap was brutal for me. Good to meet you out there!
    Did you video the race? How did you end up placing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good times at the race, first XC race for me so I feel like i learned a ton on the 1st lap and applied most of it on the 2nd.

mtbr member
    Did you video the race? How did you end up placing?
    Not as good as I hoped. I started to really slow down during lap 2. I just reviewed the video footage, but the camera was pointing too low. I mounted it in between the head tube and my stem. I might make a short video of it, but you can't really see anything except for my wheel and the trail. There are some cool sections that look really cool though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was out there too, first time xc racing....was a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    My video is now up. I wasn't happy with how it came out, but meh.

http://ampcyclist.wordpress.com/2011...rda-race-2011/

Big Boy
    My video is now up. I wasn't happy with how it came out, but meh.

http://ampcyclist.wordpress.com/2011...rda-race-2011/

are those arches or flows?

mtbr member
    Arch

Wrench
    Cool video man! And great job racing.

Members who have read this thread: 0