texas bound- Mtbr.com

Thread: texas bound

Sep 2004

texas bound

im moving to texas!!!!!!!!!

wylie i guess is the place

are there any nice trails for xc? or AM? around there?

im moving from the s.f. bay area

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    wylie near abilene? if so there is buck creek(search other threads) and tnc can give you more info...oh and bronte. when you get here check out bike town. you can get the required membership to ride at buck creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevybird2006
    wylie near abilene? if so there is buck creek(search other threads) and tnc can give you more info...oh and bronte. when you get here check out bike town. you can get the required membership to ride at buck creek.
    Wylie is just east of Plano. My bestfriend just built out there. Fast growing area since Frisco and Allen have hit their growth spurt.
    Look up the Dorba web site for Dallas area trails.
    Plano has a small loop or try Rowlett Creek off the George Bush and Centerville road. Great trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2 wylies:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevybird2006
    2 wylies:

LOL, Only in Tejas

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are coming to Austin, check out http://www.austinbike.com

It covers most of central texas. Plus some other US and international stuff.

climbbikeskione
    May 2006

Wylie near Abilene?

I'm moving to Abilene next week from Rapid City, SD. I lived there about 8 years ago and the riding was OK. I guess the stuff I used to ride closed but a bunch of new stuff is now open. Buck Creek is the main singletrack area with about 11 miles in a relatively small area. I cannot speak of the trail quality but I have heard it is not bad at all. There are also some great ranch areas to ride just out of town that I have heard raves about w/ about 80 miles of claimed trails. San Angelo State Park is about 1.5 hours away with a great but relatively flat layout of 40miles of trail...good riding though. There is good riding in TX, I've heard, the only problem is you have to drive a little. If you are actually moving to the Abilene area I look forward to meeting you. send me an e-mail if so. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    welcome back to abilene...military? buck creek is pretty good.i like it. went out there yesterday and i am going back out there today. the one thing i will say is it has made me realize i should have bought a better bike. oh well maybe the first of next year.

mtbr member
    While you won't find Northern Cal type trails in DFW, you can still have a lot of fun. I hate to tell you though that there's really no freeride stuff nearby, but there's talk about putting some in out at Northshore at Grapevine Lake.

Check the DORBA site at www.dorba.org. DORBA is one of the largest city groups of mountain bikers in the U.S. They kept me sane while I lived in the Metroplex.

Since you're living in Wylie, RCP (Rowlett Creek Preserve) will be in your backyard. Pretty flat, but fun nonetheless.

Dallas has a great riding community and lots of trails, but unfortunately, there's not much elevation change. However, you can find it on a few trails within a couple of hours.

I'd recommend investing in a state park pass. Only about $60 a year, and you'll pay for it over and over as many of the Texas trails are in the state parks.

North of Dallas, check out Johnson Branch State Park and Isle du Bois State Park. Boulder Park on the south side is some of the best riding in Dallas. Cameron Park is a must in Waco. Tyler State Park out east is a good trail network, and west of Fort Worth, Dinosaur Valley State Park and Cleburne State Park are fun.

In town, RCP, again which will be so close for you, is a great place to get some laps in after work, and Northshore on Lake Grapevine is also popular with the locals.

Be ready for extreme heat. Summers in Texas are brutal! Ride early and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

When you have time, head to Austin and the hill country and Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, but most of all, have fun!!

Members who have read this thread: 0