TBC in my Texas Politics book!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

TBC in my Texas Politics book!

I was reading about lobbying, PACs and the like in my Texas Politics book and they had a sub section about the Texa Bicycling Coalition and how they stifled some bill in 2001 (i think) that would have taken away some riders rights to the road. It was so interesting and I'm pretty new to riding so I had no clue what the TBC was. I don't know where or who ya'll guys are but that is stinking awesome and keep up the good work!

TNC
    noMAD man
    If I remember correctly, that was that bill that would have prohibited how many riders could ride together on certain roads, how many abreast, riding on the shoulder, and issues like that. While that doesn't sound too bad, I read sections of that bill, and it had some crazy uninformed stuff apparently thrown together by bureaucrats who had no idea about how and where people ride road bikes. While motorists shouldn't have to contend with clueless road bikers going several abreast down a narrow road, the bill had some stupid stuff in it for sure. BTW, I ride a road bike also, so I'm definitely not down on roadies.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    I don't know where or who ya'll guys are but that is stinking awesome and keep up the good work!

You can check them out online at http://www.biketexas.org/.

Besides being cycling advocates in the Texas political arena, the TBC also funds the Trail Doctors Program. This program is modeled after the IMBA Trail Care program.

Currently Ryan and Susan (the TBC Trail Docs) are at the IMBA summit in Whistler.

You should consider becoming a member of the TBC. Support those that support you and your cycling.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    I was reading about lobbying, PACs and the like in my Texas Politics book and they had a sub section about the Texa Bicycling Coalition and how they stifled some bill in 2001 (i think) that would have taken away some riders rights to the road. It was so interesting and I'm pretty new to riding so I had no clue what the TBC was. I don't know where or who ya'll guys are but that is stinking awesome and keep up the good work!
    Can you give us the name of the text book? We'd like to see what it says. Thanks for the plug.
    Ryan Spates
    Texas Bicycle Coalition
    BikeTexas Trail Doctors

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

sorry for the late reply

The book is entitled, Texas Politics. It's the ninth edition, ISBN# 0-534-63129-0. The section on the TBC is found on pages 67-8.

Members who have read this thread: 0