Taking my kiddo & nephew to McAllister Park in San Antonio Thursday, any tips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Taking my kiddo & nephew to McAllister Park in San Antonio Thursday, any tips?

I'm planning on taking my kiddo (almost 6) and my 12 year old nephew to McAllister Park in San Antonio this Thursday 3/17

Any tips?

I expect them to gas out after 3-4 hours so I doubt we'll make the full loop and we'll just look for some fun winding / swoopy side trails if I can get pointed in the right direction.

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nobody? We're still heading north tomorrow to try out some trails...but I'm kinda thinking taking them to OP Schnabel instead..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Either park is probably fine although OP has a few more tech spots (keeping the 6 year old in mind). Mac is very fast a swoopy and the little one could probably ride 98% of it. If you park at the dog park and cross the street to hit the blue trail (near the softball field entrance). Take that all the way until you get to the middle play ground area and take a right (large rocks you have to go between). Take those trails all the way out to 1000 Oaks drive. There is plenty in there to meander around. Come back out and go past those rocks you entered in, and take the first left, cross the asphalt path, and take the creek bed around to the right. You can take that up past the driving range, and eventually cross the main road entrance (there are a couple of off shoot trails around there that you can take to make a longer loop, but it's kind of hard to explain). Once you cross the main road go out of the park and to the left on the sidewalk as they are doing construction and the trail is closed right now. Turn left at the police station and go up the curb on the left. Stay right and cross the dam and drop back in. Once you come up the short incline out of the creek bed look right and there is really twisty trail there. Once you come out of that take a right and follow the trail back to the dog park. You can choose to drop in down the big hill or take a left where the trail heads back to the dog park parking lot and go left there and follow the red trail all the way back up towards the police station and then go back the same way. Sorry, I'm at work and saw this and typed this out as fast I could...hope you understand everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I watched video's on youtube of people riding at O.P.Schnabel and we're going to head that way around daylight. (2 hr 45min drive from Corpus Christi according to google); My 6 year old will be fine except his over confidence might get him in trouble.

the only thing I'm hoping is that the trail won't be crowded as we don't have any experience on a trail with other people on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It took 2 hours 15 minutes to get there going the speed limit.

The kids had a blast riding some of the swoopy trails off of the Leon Creek Greenway behind O P Schnabel park.

The best part was a super nice guy on a yellow specialized Hardrock who took us from the park and showed us some cool trails. I didn't catch his name but he was extremely kind and said he used to live in Corpus Christi as well.

I'm going to have to spend some more time with my kiddo at our local trail (Oso Creek) to where he completely masters it before going back to the big stuff.

He dropped in on a trail with a 12' to 15' initial very steep drop and his second time (while I was filming it) went over the handlebars and did a nasty chest first impact on the ground superman style. He was wearing a helmet, elbow pads, gloves, and jeans so he walked away with no scratches; just maybe some bruises will show up tomorrow and he got the wind knocked out of him.