Suggested bike type for Austin area trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Suggested bike type for Austin area trails

I'm contemplating moving to Austin from Toronto, Canada and while there are probably more important things to worry about, I'm wondering whether my ride will suffice in the new terrain. I've got an 08 C'dale Rush 4 and it can handle all Toronto-area trails without issue, but from what I've seen some of the trails around Austin and Central Texas in general are more technical with bigger rocks/roots and drops.

What type of bikes are most popular in this area? 5"+ trail bikes? Would I be better off with something a little burlier than the Rush, maybe a bit more travel?

Thanks!

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    I'm contemplating moving to Austin from Toronto, Canada and while there are probably more important things to worry about, I'm wondering whether my ride will suffice in the new terrain. I've got an 08 C'dale Rush 4 and it can handle all Toronto-area trails without issue, but from what I've seen some of the trails around Austin and Central Texas in general are more technical with bigger rocks/roots and drops.

What type of bikes are most popular in this area? 5"+ trail bikes? Would I be better off with something a little burlier than the Rush, maybe a bit more travel?

Thanks!
    austin is more technical than where you are? man... sorry to hear that...

you see a lot of 5"+ bikes on videos/pics but is it necessary to handle the terrain? hell no...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Weaver
    austin is more technical than where you are? man... sorry to hear that...

you see a lot of 5"+ bikes on videos/pics but is it necessary to handle the terrain? hell no...
    That is weaver, he is a skilled mofo. Dude could ride a unicycle from what I hear.

Lots of us hacks here have fun on 5-6" bikes.

EDIT: The answer, as always, is DEPENDS.

If you like to seek out technical chunk and hit it hard, then yeah, you might appreciate a longer-travel bike. Sure, you can do it on 4", but a nice slack HA and plush suspension sure make a world of difference in handling.

If you like whipping it thru nice manicured berms and rolling ST, there is plenty of that here too.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    That is weaver, he is a skilled mofo. Dude could ride a unicycle from what I hear.

Lots of us hacks here have fun on 5-6" bikes.

you saw me clear the triple ***** on that unicycle right?

im moving bikes around again so i cant say a whole lot... my hardtail is going to have "dont ride me on rocks" tires so ill be doing XC on my 5ish 4x bike...

the 7 inch bike is getting sold... i live in TX and cant justify it...

mtbr member
    May 2004

im moving bikes around again so i cant say a whole lot... my hardtail is going to have "dont ride me on rocks" tires so ill be doing XC on my 5ish 4x bike...

Dude, you ride a 5" bike for 4x? I take back what I said about you being smoof...

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Dude, you ride a 5" bike for 4x? I take back what I said about you being smoof...
    no no no... i ride a hardtail for 4x... the SX (5in front and 4.2 in back) is for gnarly 4x or light DH

this is my main baby... (going back to a fox float RLC up front though)

far left:

mtbr member
    I have ridden most of Austin on an old Trek 6500 hardtail and it worked just fine, however, now that I have my specialized FSR 5" bike I would never go back! My joints thank me every day for the move.

The short answer to your question is your Rush will be fine till you get to know the trails and can make your own judgments after that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTCat
    The short answer to your question is your Rush will be fine till you get to know the trails and can make your own judgments after that.
    x2
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The head angle on the Rush is a slack-for-XC 69 degrees and for a bike with only 110mm of travel it feels pretty plush. Then again I've only got a hardtail to compare it to...

I'm coming down to Austin in a month's time and hopefully I'll have a chance to rent a bike and get some riding in - if I could only hit one trail when I'm in Austin, what would be my best bet? I prefer fast-rolling singletrack with some steep ups and downs...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The head angle on the Rush is a slack-for-XC 69 degrees and for a bike with only 110mm of travel it feels pretty plush. Then again I've only got a hardtail to compare it to...

I'm coming down to Austin in a month's time and hopefully I'll have a chance to rent a bike and get some riding in - if I could only hit one trail when I'm in Austin, what would be my best bet? I prefer fast-rolling singletrack with some steep ups and downs...
    Fastest rolling place in town is the manicured Walnut Creek. Next up for flow might be Muleshoe Bend. Barton Creek Green Belt main trail might have a what you are looking for as well, and there is more tech in the offshoots.

Post up as the date gets close, or check out the Austin Voodoo forum and I am sure you will get a guided introduction. Also Pedigre's site and Austinbikedotcom are good resources.

Bicycle Sport Shop rents bikes, and has locations both north and south.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    no no no... i ride a hardtail for 4x... the SX (5in front and 4.2 in back) is for gnarly 4x or light DH

this is my main baby... (going back to a fox float RLC up front though)
    I was just joking man. I also didn't realize that the SX (Trail?) only has 4.2...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll definately post again when the date nears, can't wait to ride on dirt again. Around this time of year I get excited when the afternoon high is 10+, means I can head out with my studded tires and hope the snow-covered trail's had enough foot traffic to make it rideable...don't get me wrong...snow is fun...but I'd trade my snowshoes for two wheels any day...

Thanks for all the info guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ride a 4" travel titus racer-x. Most bikes out here are 4", 5" is the second most popular, but far behind.

I want to move up to 5", but that is because I am rapidly becoming an old man.

All of the pictures show big drops and ledges and stuff like that for 2 reasons:
    1. It gives a more interesting action shot. A mile of smooth single track doesn't really inspire awe.
    2. The likelihood of a crash is increased so that the photographer can post funny pictures of people eating it, and others can post up saying "too much front brake..."

Bring down the cannondale, ride it for 6 months and if you think you need more, buy more. You should be fine on that bike. The bigger issue will be your skills. A lot of people come to austin and are totally unable to ride the terrain because they are used to smooth flowy trails, not rocky climbs.

If you can ride this, you'll be fine:

Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    A lot of people come to austin and are totally unable to ride the terrain because they are used to smooth flowy trails, not rocky climbs.
    I eat rocky climbs for breakfast

not really, but I try...definately looking forward to riding in Austin...

Chilling out
    tdotrider, be sure to let us know when you get in, or watch the local discussion forum for the regular weekend ride calls in the BCGB and come on out.

We love to invite guess to give blood, saves us from using up our first aid kits on ourselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I eat rocky climbs for breakfast
    Perfect, it's an all you can eat buffet down here.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Chilling out
    oh, and BSS-Central Austin is the one that rents bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

you have a 7" bike? damn. never thought i'd see that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah I visited their website, rental rates seem pretty fair - I think I'll take a Stumpjumper for a day and join you guys for a ride, hopefully the weather cooperates that day!

Jan 2009
    yeah I visited their website, rental rates seem pretty fair - I think I'll take a Stumpjumper for a day and join you guys for a ride, hopefully the weather cooperates that day!
    I'm getting all kinds of awesome info here... THANKS! and yes, I'm a newb to mtn bikes here in Austin (Cedar Park). I picked up a Rockhopper Disc for my son last weekend. I wanted one as well but they didn't have my size so I'll get the pimped out yellow one next Monday. The thing is that since they didn't have it, they said rent whatever and we'll take it off the price. So I got a Stumpjumper for a day to ride with my son. Now I'm new but I think 15 psi in the tires is a little low and the brakes were horribly squeaky (that got on everyone's nerves). The bike was awesome otherwise.. I would just make sure they get right.

Thanks again for the info here.... now I can go read the Mojo site.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Bring a couple Norco's down with you and find mine along the way! 4-5" will be fine for most, but like EVERYONE else has said, its DEPENDS on what you like and how you ride. Good luck and hit me up when you get down here.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Members who have read this thread: 0