• 06-25-2011
    kwrides
    Sugarland Justin P. Brindley Trail
    Just rode this trail for the first time. It's definitely the strangest trail I've ever ridden. It's less than 2 miles long and it's very well maintained. It's one-way, so you dont have to worry about head on collisions. Pretty wide single track, with no brush, no roots, and no rocks. A few little ups and downs, but nothing difficult. This is a great place to ride fast, and i ended up doing 8 loops.

    If you are looking for more traditional Houston mtb'ing, it gets boring pretty fast because it's much like just riding on a bike path. My regular rides are Memorial Park and The Anthills.

    However, if you like to ride man made obstacles, this is your park. Lots of narrow boards to go up and down, and a few double wide bridges too; a few with BIG drops, so be careful and ride the single track your first time through so you know what's ahead of you. I would think bmx'ers would love this place.

    I met several nice people here, but don't think I'd ride it frequently simply because it's short, smooth, and "tricks" aren't really my thing (I'm too old to break my neck. Ha!). I mean no disrespect to those who love it, it's just not my style.

    Also saw a Coral Snake on the trail. That'll get your heart beating!

    Thought I'd throw this out there for people like me looking for new places to ride, and also to get other peoples opinions. I'm sure there are lots who will disagree with me! :thumbsup:
  • 06-25-2011
    SpringBranchSingleSpeedy
    Sounds sweet, will have to check out sometime soon!
  • 06-26-2011
    soccerdude
    GHORBA is getting closer to finishing the new Sugar Land River Bend trail located at Highway 59 South and Hwy 99 near the Memorial Hermann hospita. I belive 2 miles of trail are open now with another 3 on the way. From what I hear it will be more technical than the Brindley trail. Two trail within 5 miles of each other will be great!
  • 06-26-2011
    kwrides
    That's great info. Keep us updated!
  • 06-26-2011
    BGillespie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    However, if you like to ride man man obstacles, this is your park.

    I met several nice people here,

    :eek:
    Man, I don't know what you're into, what's going on out there, and what you're suggesting...

















    ...but I bet soccerdude is very interested!!! Board will probably run slow from him blowing up the PM button.
  • 06-26-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    :eek:
    Man, I don't know what you're into, what's going on out there, and what you're suggesting...


    ...but I bet soccerdude is very interested!!! Board will probably run slow from him blowing up the PM button.


    Doh! Thanks. Corrected.
    :madman:
  • 06-27-2011
    bobdole
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bgillespie View Post
    :eek:
    Man, i don't know what you're into, what's going on out there, and what you're suggesting...

















    ...but i bet soccerdude is very interested!!! Board will probably run slow from him blowing up the pm button.


    lol
  • 06-27-2011
    keithrad
    I think kwrides avatar is a good indicator of what he's ( into )!
  • 06-28-2011
    soccerdude
    deleted
  • 06-28-2011
    ArmySlowRdr
    I must have mistakenly surfed into
    As the World Turns or
    Days of our Lives :D
  • 06-29-2011
    Doc D
    Oh, somebody struck a nerve.
  • 06-29-2011
    kwrides
    LOL SoccerDude. I'll see you in the Emily Batty thread.
  • 07-21-2011
    stalking_horse
    Can't wait
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    GHORBA is getting closer to finishing the new Sugar Land River Bend trail located at Highway 59 South and Hwy 99 near the Memorial Hermann hospita. I belive 2 miles of trail are open now with another 3 on the way. From what I hear it will be more technical than the Brindley trail. Two trail within 5 miles of each other will be great!

    I'm really looking forward to this, because I love Brindley, but it's hard for me to justify the drive for such a short ride (even though I usually go around 5-6 times). I know everyone has their own taste, but I think JP Brindley is the best trail around Houston, despite the length. Anthills has no flow; Double Lake is monotonous, sandy in the corners, and seems to have turns just for turning's sake, so that you can never really get speed. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but that's just my opinion.

    I see snakes every time I ride Brindley. They're eveywhere over there.
  • 07-21-2011
    dadstoy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stalking_horse View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this, because I love Brindley, but it's hard for me to justify the drive for such a short ride (even though I usually go around 5-6 times). I know everyone has their own taste, but I think JP Brindley is the best trail around Houston, despite the length. Anthills has no flow; Double Lake is monotonous, sandy in the corners, and seems to have turns just for turning's sake, so that you can never really get speed. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but that's just my opinion.

    I see snakes every time I ride Brindley. They're eveywhere over there.

    Maaaaan,...you gotta go give Jack Brooks Trail a run. I was there for the group ride a few weekends ago,...OMG! Roots and Hills Ga-loure!!
  • 07-21-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stalking_horse View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this, because I love Brindley, but it's hard for me to justify the drive for such a short ride (even though I usually go around 5-6 times). I know everyone has their own taste, but I think JP Brindley is the best trail around Houston, despite the length. Anthills has no flow; Double Lake is monotonous, sandy in the corners, and seems to have turns just for turning's sake, so that you can never really get speed. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but that's just my opinion.

    I see snakes every time I ride Brindley. They're eveywhere over there.

    What is it you like about it? Just curious, and since I said why I don't like it, your positive comments might help people decide if it's for them or not.

    Have a good ride!
  • 07-21-2011
    stalking_horse
    I like the flow and I like the obstacles -- they keep it interesting. I wish (and I realize I should do something about it instead of just wishing) that the bigger drop in had a less abrupt transition to drop into, but anyway, I like the drop ins and skinnies. I like the couple of bermed turns (maybe just one). It just feels like the trail keeps you on your toes and allows you to carry speed. Anthills keeps you on your toes, but it does this by throwing abrupt, almost unrideable uphills into your path without warning. Unless you have the trail memorized, you end up dismounting because you can't shift fast enough.

    I haven't ridden Jack Brooks, because it's far from me (I like on the north end of town). Double Lake is actually as close as Sugar Land or Anthills. Sounds like I might like Jack Brooks.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    What is it you like about it? Just curious, and since I said why I don't like it, your positive comments might help people decide if it's for them or not.

    Have a good ride!

  • 07-24-2011
    Gst528i
    Just did this trail last two days. I just got my new specialized hardrock sport. Fell a few times doing the "tricks" lol.
    I like the trail, getting to know my bike. I was exploring it and found the trail use to be longer. Found a small abandoned section, with an obstacle on it. LIke that its not busy and the riders there are respectful.
  • 08-07-2011
    tamugmtb
    stalking_horse - if you are on the north side you should try the Cypresswood trails. They are similar to Brindley and can be as fast and technical as you make them.
  • 08-07-2011
    stalking_horse
    Yeah, I should check Cypresswood out. I've been meaning to. Looks like it's really short, but then again, so is Brindley.
  • 08-07-2011
    BGillespie
    CWood from the parking lot to the very back by the bowl, and then back to the parking lot is ~ 9 mi., IIRC.
  • 08-07-2011
    sgtcurry
    I still havent gone to this trail but have been meaning to.
  • 08-09-2011
    stalking_horse
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    CWood from the parking lot to the very back by the bowl, and then back to the parking lot is ~ 9 mi., IIRC.

    Really? That's not bad. Maybe I'll go saturday, if I can handle the heat.
  • 08-10-2011
    srey
    I rode this two days ago. It was a lot of fun. It's a really flowy trail that allows you to absolutely fly if you want to. It's only five minutes from my workplace, so I guess I know what I'll be doing a couple times a week on the way home.
  • 08-20-2011
    tonyhuynh28
    Has anyone ridden Riverbend Park yet?? Comments on the trail would be nice :)
  • 08-21-2011
    kwrides
    Never heard of Riverbend. Where is it?
  • 08-22-2011
    soccerdude
    The Sugar Land River Bend trail is being built nearl the Memorial Hermann hospital located at Hyw 59 S and Hwy 99.
  • 08-22-2011
    tonyhuynh28
    I've heard numerous rumors that the first half was complete, but have yet to confirm it. o.O
  • 08-22-2011
    soccerdude
    Russell Adams last told me that 2 of the 5 total miles were complete but that was over a month ago. I don't know if they've been working on it since but I doubt it due to the heat. I would expect them to complete it when the temperature gets alot better. I'll ask him and see what's up.
  • 08-22-2011
    tonyhuynh28
    Cool thanks for the info. Are the first 2 miles open to riding yet? I would love to check it out if they are.
  • 08-24-2011
    crbeveri
    How do you get to this section. I have been to the single track one that is in memorial park (Sugar Land) but still can't find this beginning area that is complete. cheers
  • 08-24-2011
    tonyhuynh28
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by crbeveri View Post
    How do you get to this section. I have been to the single track one that is in memorial park (Sugar Land) but still can't find this beginning area that is complete. cheers

    This one is Riverbend Park which is off of 59 & 99. Reading in the GHORBA forum, this first section is complete and rideable. I've yet to find directions to it. There's a link on the GHORBA site but its broken.. When I find them I will post them.
  • 08-24-2011
    crbeveri
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tonyhuynh28 View Post
    This one is Riverbend Park which is off of 59 & 99. Reading in the GHORBA forum, this first section is complete and rideable. I've yet to find directions to it. There's a link on the GHORBA site but its broken.. When I find them I will post them.

    Thanks, I tried the link like you but ya it was broken so I guess having you just tried it, it's still broken haha. That'll be great please do let us know when you find it.

    Cheers
  • 08-25-2011
    Fcano42
    Riverbend is in good shape but it does not have official parking yet. So if you find it ,be nice and park smart where you won't irritate one of the neighboring neighborhoods or businesses or even better if you live near by, ride in.

    That said, if you go onto google maps and zoom into where 99 crosses the Brazos just north of 59, you can see the trail marked out. Trail head is a bit hard to see from the levy, so ride the tree line when you get close and you'll find it easy. Ride counter clockwise.

    Don't mistake the car wide gravel path that is the Brazos nature trail for the Riverbend trail.

    The city has approved financing for a parking lot and the most likely place will be under the power lines. Rumor is it will be a year or so....
  • 09-04-2011
    bchimene
    Justin P. Brindley Trail is awesome for speed runs! just so easy to go tearing ass through there, just have to watch out for slower traffic