Stan's sealant & TX heat ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Stan's sealant & TX heat ?

I'm thinking of trying ghetto tubeless on my front tire & was wonderng how long does Stan's last in the TX heat & how often new sealant needs to be pumped in? I ride 3-4 days a week. Probably willnot do this untl next spring but thought I'd ask now just incase I get the urge to try it sooner.

Thanks!

Genius
    You'll be fine. There are hotter places than Texas.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 09-07-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Stan's never lasts, running ghetto tubeless....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks
    I'm thinking of trying ghetto tubeless on my front tire & was wonderng how long does Stan's last in the TX heat & how often new sealant needs to be pumped in? I ride 3-4 days a week. Probably willnot do this untl next spring but thought I'd ask now just incase I get the urge to try it sooner.

Thanks!

I've been using Stans exclusively for the last 11 or so years. During that time, I've lived in both the hot and humid and hot and drier parts of Texas. I'm not sure what your concern is exactly ...maybe you think the liquid will evaporate or be too thin to plug the holes. Neither are really an issue. The main advice I have is to keep the tires properly inflated. It seems like the Stans dries up faster if the tire is left deflated.

I go months without adding Stans to any of my tires and I keep my bike in a shed that probably averages over 100 degrees F for several months out of the year.

Also, we do have lots of thorny plants and rocks, so please do not use tubes here or the rest of us will have to stand around while you fix your flats

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I thought the heat would help dry up the sealant faster and you would have to add a little more every so often.

Thanks for the info!

TXTony
    I have been tube less since 2006 never no problems, switched to Maxis tires and they seep sealant sometimes no biggie..they just do it when they have set a few days..put them on Crossmax wheels..just bought a new bike with standard tires and tubes and thinking of sticking with tubes..could be the Mavic wheels but I like the new set up better than my current tube less setup.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    If you use the 1/4 cup amount recommended and ride when its over 100 you should stay on top of it. If I'm not racing...that never happens anymore I use 1/2 a cup and it last 45-60 days.
    Just spin the wheel and tap the presta valve, if liquid comes out then your good if not refill! Mosty of my failures I've had in ten years was from my neglect.

BBW
    mtbr member
    funny, my Stans doesn't last long or stop the air from coming out of very little holes?? I had a flat 1 week after adding new sealant and I keep the bottle inside the house to not expose it to the heat :-(
    I think its not what it used to be
    BBW. MS, RD

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Something isn't right there. Stans works as well as it always has, we go through several bottles a week, as well as sell a ton, no complaints from our customers. I am trying cafe latex right now, but just as an experiment as it was free.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Something isn't right there. Stans works as well as it always has, we go through several bottles a week, as well as sell a ton, no complaints from our customers. I am trying cafe latex right now, but just as an experiment as it was free.
    I has happened with at least 3 bottles during the summer (I change tires often and add more stans) I has failed to repair 2 or 3 small holes that would have in the past years
    BBW. MS, RD

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Counterfieit Stans?!
    How big are the holes? My favorite way to convince people is to open a stapler and run 8 or 10 staples in the tire then take off on a ride.

BBW
    mtbr member
    way less than 1/8th of an inch and not even in the sidewall... I buy mine at the LBS..
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just tossed in 2 more oz of stans into the rear sidewall I punctured the other day, supposedly a "ruined" tire. Rode 12 miles on it Thurs and holding air better than it ever has!

So allow me to recant my earlier statement!

Members who have read this thread: 0