SS Gearing for Dallas Plano Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SS Gearing for Dallas Plano Area

Hello all, moved here from So Cal and am looking to build my SS back up (have just been riding my FS trail bike for past 8 months). The terrain is very different here, so just wondering what gearing people are running.

My favorite trail in the area is Northshore, but I also ride others when theyíre open. I have experience with SS, but in So Cal with long climbs. Iím a fairly decent intermediate who has done some big endurance events. My gearing in So Cal was 32 x 20 or 21.

With the short steep ups and otherwise flat to rolling terrain here, just wondering what people have found to be optimal.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Following this. Thinking about relocating from CO to that area.

Very interested in the terrain & setups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    On my SS 29er, I run 32x18 nearly everywhere in DFW, except Samson Park in FtW. There I run 32x20 for the longer steep climbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    32x18 is good at most all trails in the DFW area. If you go to Dinosaur Valley or Tyler State Park or some others with extended climbs, 20 might be better. But with enough momentum, all local trails are good on the 18.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Jacob 34:19
    So first, welcome to Texas.

Northshore has great flow making it a really great SS trail. I run 34:19 on a 29er, which is roughly 52 gear inches (very close to you guys running 32:18). And I would agree, that gearing works everywhere on the Dallas side of the metroplex. Basically the old 2:1 on a 26er.

-J

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When I ride SS I mostly use 32x18 for DFW trails minus Samson in Fort Worth (mentioned above). I've used 32x20 for longer rides in AR (Ouachita Challenge) and some of the hill country rides with longer climbs (Reveille Peak Ranch, Hill Country SP in Bandera). I love riding in CA* and CO* but I still find our DFW trails pretty darn fun - just hoping we don't have another 60+" of rain type of year.

*with gears!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful👍🏻 I think Iíll try 32x18. Will probably feel like a big gear compared to what I was used to in So Cal, but will see how it goes. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SS Gearing for Dallas Plano Area-82a7ec47-6858-4a14-913c-eaedf3f99c46.jpg
    After various delays, finally did the SS conversion. Per your recommendations, went 32 x 18 with a Surly cog. Looking forward to trying it out...if only the trails would dry out soon. Didnít know it rains so much here in DFW!