SS gearing for Anthills?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

SS gearing for Anthills?

What gearing do you SS'ers prefer for the Anthills in Houston?

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    On my 18 speed, I normally leave the front sprocket on the middle ratio and the rear on 2 with hills and 5 when it's flat and I need speed. I don't know the ratios off hand, but I can check that out tonight.

If anyone would like to meet up and ride at the anthills, let me know. I'm a novice rider but I'm not terrible and would like to become better. But I'll be honest, this is more of a fun hobby for me so I don't have all of the gear others might have and normally just wear regular clothes.

mtbr member
    Tools | mySinglespeed

SS gear chart

for the Houston area I'll run a 34/17 or 34/18 on my 29er

Need More Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Tools | mySinglespeed

SS gear chart

for the Houston area I'll run a 34/17 or 34/18 on my 29er
    woo I just bought a 34 tooth chainring today. My 32 is putting me at the last two cogs on my cassette and I spin out in the low gears.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    for anthills i'd be about like 34/22 or 24. i'm probably slow and weak, though. i would very much spin out on the flats, but would be able to ride nearly all the obstacles.

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    I'm not sure how you guys could even attempt SS at the anthills. Between the flat areas and pretty decent hills, I'm constantly shifting between the ranges. Good luck to you though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys I'm new to mountain biking I was wondering what trails are good here in Houston?? Any recommendations??

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the ghorba site is a good place to look for the different trails around here.
    anthills in terry hershey park
    jack brooks
    justin brindley in sugar land
    cypresswood
    double lakes
    others over toward austin
    hmm, it looks like ghorba is down. try again in a few days.

the easiest way for me to describe how to get to the anthills is to take i-10 to Dairy Ashford. Go south on Dairy Ashford. Once you cross the bayou, look for a parking lot on your left. Park in that lot. the trail is between the parking lot and the bayou. if you go west, it officially ends at eldridge. if you go east, it officially ends at wilcrest, with the unofficial dirt jump area being just east of wilcrest. depending where you are on the trail, there are one, two, or three roughly parallel trails along the bayou that branch and merge, and branch and merge. there is no official direction of travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Bil Im looking at going to one of these parks in the next week, I have heard good things about Jack Brooks have you been there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to mountain biking I was wondering what trails are good here in Houston?? Any recommendations??
    Area Trails and Conditions | GHORBA

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Bil Im looking at going to one of these parks in the next week, I have heard good things about Jack Brooks have you been there?
    Have not ben, but I hear good things. Before you go, make sure it's dry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do I need to buy all the gear to go hit the trails, shorts and specialty shoes and all that ? Was just wondering I hit the trails today and didn't have all that stuff and it was fine..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do I need to buy all the gear to go hit the trails, shorts and specialty shoes and all that ? Was just wondering I hit the trails today and didn't have all that stuff and it was fine..
    I think the esentials are helmet and gloves. Never leave without a brain bucket. The gloves will keep the sweat that rides down your arm to your hand from makeing you grips feel like a wet banana. both can be purchase at walmart for fairly cheap. it doesnt have to be a big brand to perform the same function.
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

Need More Bikes
    Seconded helmet and gloves. Also should have roadside repair gear like chainbreaker, multitool, tubes and pump.

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Good advice from posters here, but dont worry about all the trappings, that will come naturally in time.

Just get a helmet, and go ride.

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    helmet, gloves and water.

my first mtb ride ever was in sweat pants and shirt and air jordans i had not a clue to what i was doing other than it was fun.

my cycling shoes I own now cost more than my first mt bike

just have fun for now once you get hooked then look into some of that other stuff it's not that important at the begining.

Members who have read this thread: 0