South Texas tire recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

South Texas tire recommendations...

I live in Houston and frequent Cypresswood, Memorial, and Flintridge. I'm currently on Kenda Small Block Eights and am pretty content with them. Loads of grip on the hardpack. I've tried VelociRaptor and MutanoRaptor, and WeirWolf tires.

Any recommendations for another set of tires?

XC racer
    May 2005
    SB8's have a reputation of being okay on the rear, not so good on the front. On my previous 26'er I was running a Kenda BlueGroove on front and SB8 on back. My new 29'er came with Schwalbe Rocket Ron's f/r and so far they've been good on all Texas surfaces they've been on including a couple of the trails you mention. I've also had good experience with Karmas and Maxxis Crossmarks.
    IMHO, there is nowhere in Texas that really requires big knobs, and I don't promote the idea of riding on muddy trails, so small knobs/fast rolling tires work almost everywhere. I like having one tire that meets most of my needs, not one to swap tires every time I go ride somewhere different.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i just ordered a Kenda Slant Six for the front. we'll see how she does. i've washed out the front a few times on the SB8...

since 4/10/2009
    I've been extremely happy with Continental Mountain Kings on my bike, but my local trails really don't have "hardpack". We have sand - lots of sand. I use a 2.2 UST on the back, and regular 2.4 tubeless with sealant on UST rims for the front. I need some bite on the climbs and corners, but the knobs need some spacing and I need flotation.

I was using Specialized Fast Track Pro 2.0's before and they suck monkey balls up here. not enough grip for the climbs, not enough flotation for the flat sand pits, and not enough cornering bite for the turns. These tires are on my commuter now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have never heard of Houston being considered South Texas. If I draw a line from Port Lavaca to San Antonio to Del Rio, then everything south of that is "South Texas."

Regardless, for cross country I like Crossmarks (front) and Small Block Eights (rear). If I was more of an All Mountain rider I would use a Nevegal on the rear and a Blue Groove on the front.

Everything has better grip with a tubeless setup and running lower pressures.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    edited for content.

shame on me. thanks for the tips everyone.

[needs to go out and ride and burn off some steam]
    Last edited by alexrex20; 05-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been riding in Houston for a few years now on the trails you ride on alexrex20. I'm on the blue Titus (soon w/lefty!) - stop me and say hello.

I've had good luck with Conti trail kings 2.2 F/R (usual set-up) as well as Nev F/Conti Race King back (for faster riding at expense of climbing). Our trails IMHO demand a front tire with a good biting edge. Putting race kings, SB8s, or Racing Ralph-type treads there is just asking for an good romp to the ground (I've had 'em), especially if there is any moisture present on the roots. Those types are passable in the rear as long as it hasn't rained too much recently and you arn't too much into climbing the steepest, like in the triangle at Memorial.
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Dirtvet, based on looks alone, what do you think about the Slant Six (far left in the pic below) for the front?

Plebe
    I used Conti Mt. Kings over the past year, but I just recently switched to Schwalbe nobby nics and, while I'm extremely happy with them (think Mt. Kings on steroids & meth), they may be a little bit of an overkill on knob size.

I have already started thinking about the Rocket Rons for the next set. Should be just about right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Alexrex20, my opinion is that the slant 6 would be good for the rear but not for the front. That's the Nevegal tread cut down. The Nevegal is slow, I find, especially on the back. I'd put the slant 6 out back and a Nevegal up front and that should work really weell for our trails. The Tioga Genius looks attractive too - my next tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm leaning towards the Slant Six but with it being a new tire I haven't heard much about it. I have Nevegal's now but they seem to be a bit overkill for the area. I'll probably leave the Nev on the front for the time being and swap out to a faster rear.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    So with the Slant 6 up front and SB8 on the rear, I rode Cypresswood and Flintridge. They roll fast and the Slant 6 did OK up front at Cypresswood. At Flintridge I could feel the front washing out a little bit on the super twisty leaf-covered trail. I was also running a lot of air pressure (35psi) so I can't condemn the Slant 6 just yet...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    update: Kenda Slant 6 sucks on the front.

I had Maxxis Ardent on my 29er and they were pretty good. I've actually never tried the Nevegal, but I am looking at Maxxis Minions.

I'll put the Slant 6 on the back...

The dude who made it.
    I like my Maxxis 2.5" downhill tires - bought at AJs Cyclery on Parmer Lane in Austin.

2.5 is great for our stony trails.
    I finally made it. And when I'm not online, I ride a Marin Mount Vision 5.7 to the top of the world and back.

I miss f88
    Slant 6 just doesn't seem that much different than a SB8.

I ride all those trails. What you're looking for is crossmark/SB8.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'm still running the Slant 6 up front. it's no good on pine needles over hard, but what tire is? i lowered air pressure and it's doing pretty good on hardpack and even loose-over-hard.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Currently on my SS:
    F: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.4 EVO, non-UST mounted tubeless
    R: SB8 2.1 UST

RR makes cornering stupid confident, great in sand, light weight, big volume, big $. You might cry if you cut one...they're that expensive (but worth it). Much better than WTB Wolverine 2.2 UST it replaced.

SB8 has just enough grip to get up everything in TX, smooth/easy rolling, tough as nails, UST version is HEAVY, cheap deals on Amazon. I planned to switch to a 2.4 Furious Fred to save weight, but it didn't fit my frame.

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    SB8's have a reputation of being okay on the rear, not so good on the front. On my previous 26'er I was running a Kenda BlueGroove on front and SB8 on back. My new 29'er came with Schwalbe Rocket Ron's f/r and so far they've been good on all Texas surfaces they've been on including a couple of the trails you mention. I've also had good experience with Karmas and Maxxis Crossmarks.
    IMHO, there is nowhere in Texas that really requires big knobs, and I don't promote the idea of riding on muddy trails, so small knobs/fast rolling tires work almost everywhere. I like having one tire that meets most of my needs, not one to swap tires every time I go ride somewhere different.
    I really like my 29 Crossmarks, but on steep and slippery climbs, my rear tire slips if I try to climb standing (example - a few of the taller climbs at Terry Hershey). Anyone have any recommendations other than to keep my weight back and climb in the saddle?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    lower your air pressure, or downshift into a granny gear (if you have gears)

Is it Friday yet?
    Yeah, I hear you, but if I want to go much lower, I'm gonna have to go tubeless. I was hoping for a tire with a little more rear grip, but not so chunky it kills rolling resistance on 95% of the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Tubeless & 25-28 psi works well for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just tried the slant six on the back and find it is pretty darn good. Not the lightest though but a good compromise between grip/larger knobs and rolling resistance. Its rounded profile is not suitable for the front I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ive been extremely happy with paired 2.4 mutano raptors.

Members who have read this thread: 0