South Llano River State Park - Junction, TX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

South Llano River State Park - Junction, TX

Spent part of the week at South Llano River State Park in Junction. It's a really nice little State Park 7 miles South of Junction. It's quiet and Junction is a pleasant little town.

I took my Santa Cruz Tallboy and on the last day things had dried out from the big storm on Monday so that I could ride the trails around there.

First off, it was a lot of fun. It's not very technical and almost all of it is 2-track. They say they have 18 miles of it, but it's really just a big loop with multiple links. I rode up the main "fawn trail" which was mostly one long climb -- about 3 miles. Most of it wasn't too steep, but all the way up I was thinking "with all this climbing there should be some fun downhill stuff coming up."

And there was a great payoff with a nice flowing, fast downhill with some rocks but not much technical stuff. It's well marked both on maps from the park HQ and on signage out on the trail.

This is a fun ride for both beginners and those with some experience. In fact, there was only one place where I'd call it Technical at all and even that was at a level of 2 or maybe 3. If you want a nice place to camp, access to a branch of the South Llano River, some tubing/kayaking and fun mountain biking it's a good place to go.

Another plus is that Junction is just north of Rock Springs and the Camp Eagle mountain bike trail. I didn't hit up Camp Eagle, but it should be a short drive away.

Here's a couple photos so you can see what it's like there:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Llano River State Park - Junction, TX-two-track.jpg  

South Llano River State Park - Junction, TX-technical.jpg  

South Llano River State Park - Junction, TX-slsp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good to hear someone else enjoying South Llano River State Park! Not the most technical, but certainly a good ride. Looks like you can tell Spring is upon us.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    South Llano River SP is a favorite camping spot for us. Throw in some fun MTBing and it's all the better.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I need to give that one a try. Anything with water close by gets my attention. Thanks for the post.

Members who have read this thread: 0