Some nice Austin crunch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Some nice Austin crunch?

Hey so I know this is probably asked way too much but what would the best trail to ride in Austin if I only had one day....11-6....preferably close to downtown area (no clue how far your trails are from town)

I am looking for the best enduro style trails the more rocks and drops the better.
    I normally ride my all-mountain hard tail on some of the rougher trails in Colorado and I was thinking of spoiling my self and renting a Santa Cruz Bronson so I definitely want to take advantage of the suspension

Thanks

mtbr member
    With such a big time window and what you're describing you'd like to ride you should go to Reveille Peak Ranch. Do the super d downhill run and the black trails.

If you're insistent on it being down town and don't want to drive an hour to RPR most will tell you the green belt. Unfortunately all the good stuff is hard to find off the main trail and you'll most likely need a guide. Post on bikemojo.com in the Austin Voodoo forum and describe what you're needing there and ask for a guide. If that doesn't pan out i would definitely skip the green belt and travel out to RPR which for the most part is marked well and had a map.

Lastly there is Emma Long or City Park. It's a highly technical like 5 mile loop. That's an option too.
    Last edited by Awshucks; 08-03-2015 at 11:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Emma Long City Park (moto trails originally, now mostly ridden by MTBers) is your best bet for Drops/Rocks/Ledges without a guide.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sweet thanks for the good info

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the problem with emma long is not much elevation change, plus it is a short loop. If you post on bike mojo someone will offer up to ride with you at the BCGB. Lots of really tough stuff up and down, but the side trails are not mapped.

If you use strava + gps you can probably muddle your way around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    RPR is 2 hours away, cost money to enter, and is completely exposed and leads to overheating this time of year. GB is much better riding overall anyways.

Just pack water, a sandwich, and go get lost at the GB. When you starting getting to trails where no hikers are, you are getting to the good stuff. Ask for directions to the Hill of Life and then towards the top, take the side trails, you won't be disappointed. After that cross the river/ creek and there is lots of tough stuff over there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been to Emma Long trail several times, Greenbelt once, RPR too but I think Brushy Creek trail is the best. It has that punchy climbs, longer, twisty, technical and a few drops. You should check out this trail, a must for outsider like us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Brushy Creek is AWESOME for sure. Great flow.

But what the GB has is trails equal to anything around here, even some sections that are similar to true downhill riding but you'll have to pedal back up! It also has many nice places to jump in and swim. And it's also within 5 minutes of the bike rental shops near downtown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can take you out on BCGB. Best trail. If you have 7 hours we can fill them. Close to downtown. That is the ticket. The cost of the tour is cold beer and I don't drink the cheap stuff

Depends on the day. I work from home and can generally be available with enough advance notice.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com