So I checked out the Odessa Mountain Bike Park and it's pretty awesome- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

So I checked out the Odessa Mountain Bike Park and it's pretty awesome

I'm out here in West TX filling in for a company while they hire extra local help so I figured I'd bring my bike after a quick internet search showed there was an MTB park in Odessa.

It's only a few miles from the Warehouse I'm working out of and I had time to head over there yesterday afternoon. I had to buy a helmet as it's required (as well as a 25/year membership to the Permian Basin Bicycle Association) but soon realized that the helmet was necessary due to terrain and will be doing the online membership $ just to support the track because it's awesome.

It takes some ingenuity to make technical trails in flat land, but the trail system in an abandoned caliche pit works out really well and had some technical stuff WAAAY above my skill level.

The rating of the trails (Green/Blue/Red) were all clearly marked as well as rocks along the trail's were color coated to keep you on the corresponding patch.

It wasn't as "flowy" like some of the stuff in O.P. Schnabel/McAllister/Leon Creek I've ridden but that's due to the fact there there's only so much to work with. They've done a great job making lots of trails that would be perfect to teaching kiddo's how to navigate from basic dips, drops, curves to highly technical stuff as their skill progresses.

I'm used to riding Oso Creek on the south side of Corpus Christi so the fact that there is no shade is status quo (which is why I love O.P. even though it's two hours away), but it's very apparent that the volunteer's who've helped build & maintain this park have done a great job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I checked out the Odessa Mountain Bike Park and it's pretty awesome-img_4873.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for sharing your visit to the Odessa Mountain Bike Park.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Hey just want to ask what kind of trails in or around corpus cristi? I might be moving there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There are some pretty awesome things happening in Corpus Christi as far as trails go... The OSO Creek park is getting better by the day. Do a search on FaceBook for Corpus Christi Trail Devils (on Strava as a Club too)

If you're an outdoorsy person riding on the beach here is spectactular. Unfortunately not many people are taking advantage of it yet. Riding the entire length of Mustang Island on a weekday can be done in almost complete solitude.

If you're into the bigger stuff, San Antonio Trails are less than a 2 hour drive time North and Austin is 3 hours up the road. There is some trails in Laredo but I've never been there.

What may be bringing you here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shank3r View Post
    There are some pretty awesome things happening in Corpus Christi as far as trails go... The OSO Creek park is getting better by the day. Do a search on FaceBook for Corpus Christi Trail Devils (on Strava as a Club too)

If you're an outdoorsy person riding on the beach here is spectactular. Unfortunately not many people are taking advantage of it yet. Riding the entire length of Mustang Island on a weekday can be done in almost complete solitude.

If you're into the bigger stuff, San Antonio Trails are less than a 2 hour drive time North and Austin is 3 hours up the road. There is some trails in Laredo but I've never been there.

What may be bringing you here?
    Expensive california and work - murse (male nurse) lol. Just searching around right now. I got family and friends in houston but its flat lol. Trying to get a job is san antonio or austin since its the best all mountain riding i have gathered so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Dax if you want all mountain type stuff, do not come to Houston. Austin is where you want to be. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge and very active cycling scene here. Everything. Road, CX, MTB, gravel, velodrome, crits, charity rides, group rides everyday of the week. And some of the MTB trails are really fun. But it's just so flat. It's all pedaling, all the time. The local joke is "if you want technical trails, just ride the existing trails really fast". All that said, great city, lots going on, awesome food, music, arts, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm married to a nurse, so I get it when it comes to finding activities to "get away".

If you're also into fishing (Inshore/Offshore) as well as biking or possibly Kite Surfing, Corpus would be great. Portland (where I live) is the top Kite Surfing destination in the lower 48, and as soon as my 6 year old is a bit older/bigger, I'll be getting him some lessons/training as I'd rather he do that after school in High School than get into trouble.

A Lot of people LOVE Houston, but you gotta be the kind of person who likes living in a concrete jungle or suburbia.

If you want to stick to MTB as your one and only hobby, San Antonio/Austin and everywhere in between would be prime. If you go a little North Such as Temple/Killeen you'd your dollar would go 3X as far as in Austin and you'd be in the same income range as Austin. Waco's Cameron Park trails would be a 45 minute drive north or Austin/San Antonio would be from 1-2 hours south.

San Antonio is my favorite large city in TX...the culture is rich and it hasn't lost it's identity in what seems like our state's population doubling in the last decade. Most folks are moving towards the North West side (Hill Country)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    Dax if you want all mountain type stuff, do not come to Houston. Austin is where you want to be. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge and very active cycling scene here. Everything. Road, CX, MTB, gravel, velodrome, crits, charity rides, group rides everyday of the week. And some of the MTB trails are really fun. But it's just so flat. It's all pedaling, all the time. The local joke is "if you want technical trails, just ride the existing trails really fast". All that said, great city, lots going on, awesome food, music, arts, etc.

If anything I just want an accessible quick 1-2 hr mtb ride. My cousin loves houston due to variety it gives but I am all about the suburBan life lol and hate the big city. Living in Socal most of my life I avoid LA metro like the plague .

mtbr member

So I checked out the Odessa Mountain Bike Park and it's pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by shank3r View Post
    I'm married to a nurse, so I get it when it comes to finding activities to "get away".

If you're also into fishing (Inshore/Offshore) as well as biking or possibly Kite Surfing, Corpus would be great. Portland (where I live) is the top Kite Surfing destination in the lower 48, and as soon as my 6 year old is a bit older/bigger, I'll be getting him some lessons/training as I'd rather he do that after school in High School than get into trouble.

A Lot of people LOVE Houston, but you gotta be the kind of person who likes living in a concrete jungle or suburbia.

If you want to stick to MTB as your one and only hobby, San Antonio/Austin and everywhere in between would be prime. If you go a little North Such as Temple/Killeen you'd your dollar would go 3X as far as in Austin and you'd be in the same income range as Austin. Waco's Cameron Park trails would be a 45 minute drive north or Austin/San Antonio would be from 1-2 hours south.

San Antonio is my favorite large city in TX...the culture is rich and it hasn't lost it's identity in what seems like our state's population doubling in the last decade. Most folks are moving towards the North West side (Hill Country)
    Yeah i hate the concrete jungle unless the great outdoors is a 30min drive awAy lol. Kite surfing sounds fun but trying to keep the expenses at the minumum. San antonio is on the top of my list since i love the spurs lol. Biggest factor is the job, I have been working psych and want to get away from the field, i would like to work with normal people for once lol. I do love bike parks and some shuttle riding, im not the best rider nor the fastest but i love chunky, rocky trails.