So How's Everyone Diggin'

Printable View

• 06-22-2010
    bloodyknee
    So How's Everyone Diggin'
    The heat this summer? It seem's a lot different this summer compared to last, but I think we must be having more humidity or something.
  • 06-22-2010
    alexrex20
    are you new to Houston? it's this hot and humid every summer. i went riding today. just bring plenty of water. i also bring towels to dry off with, an extra shirt, and a towel to sit on so i don't get my swamp ass all over my cloth seats.
  • 06-22-2010
    Go! Ninja Go!
    It depends on where I ride for some reason. Memorial or anywhere else doesn't seem all that bad to me as long as I take a few breaks. If I go to Jack Brooks I'm dying in an hour and a half. Might just be because there's a lot more 'hills' at JB, which is hard on my scrawny ass.
  • 06-22-2010
    alexrex20
    you need to buy those shoes that work out your ass. i think they're reebok
  • 06-23-2010
    Wankel7
    Heat appreciation !
  • 06-23-2010
    bsdc
    Yes, it seeems a bit more humid this year. I've been using this and it seeems to be helping.

http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html
  • 06-23-2010
    Go! Ninja Go!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexrex20
    you need to buy those shoes that work out your ass. i think they're reebok

If only they came in a clipless version. :eek:
  • 06-23-2010
    bobdole
    Just make sure you stay hydrated, and that doesnt mean drinking a glass of water an hour before the ride. Early morning, all day at work and after the ride, drink water.
  • 06-23-2010
    alexrex20
    think of it this way: the hotter and more humid it is out on the trails, the less traffic you'll encounter!
  • 06-23-2010
    dadstoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexrex20
    think of it this way: the hotter and more humid it is out on the trails, the less traffic you'll encounter!

Yup, fo sho. The Sweat Guter thing works great if you have to wear prescription glasses, or any kind. The heat and humidity is brutal,...I hate these summertime temps. And it hasn't even peaked yet! I bring plenty of water, change of shirt, and towels to sit on as well. :thumbsup:
  • 06-23-2010
    bloodyknee
    I actually live in Dallas, not Houston. But the heat seems more intense this year than last year. I can usually ride a couple of hours in this heat, but this year about 45 minutes into it and I'm just ready to get to the car and turn on the air. My legs are spent and my motivation is gone. It sucks
  • 06-23-2010
    alexrex20
    some days are worse than others. the humidity can go from 60% (about as good as it gets in houston) to 90% in a matter of hours.

some days, my buddies and i will get together for a ride because it's nice out. by the time we get there (maybe only 45min later), the humidity has skyrocketed and we're completely discouraged to ride. we ride anyway, and suffer. we have no stamina, and are wiped out in no time.
  • 06-23-2010
    alexrex20
    bloodyknee, i apologize for assuming you are from Houston. i could've sworn you said you were from the Houston area. is the heat getting to me, or did you edit that out of your post?
  • 06-24-2010
    clewttu
    in dallas too, doesnt feel any different to me
    conditioning is always the biggest factor for me with regards to heat/exhaustion
  • 06-27-2010
    zx6rpete
    I was hoping for a cooler than normal summer since I'll be moving back to Houston next month after spending 2 yrs on the western slope of CO. Oh well I climatized to it before and will just have to do it again. On the positive side the dense oxygen rich air will be wecomed!
  • 06-27-2010
    ssm-gd3
    this time last yaer we were already in the 100s i think. i have no doubt that those temperatures are coming next week...

the humidity, on the other hand, feels like it's off the charts. i live in san antonio and i travel to austin a lot, and central texas is usually a little drier feeling.

i rode today at 4pm and gave up after about an hour. i thought i'd be okay since i picked a shady trail (mcallister) but it was still too hot. on saturday i got up early and hit the trails at 7:30am and got a good run out of that. it was still in the 80s when i finished!
  • 06-28-2010
    as long as the hurricanes stay away i'll take the heat. we could always open up a Ray's!!!!
  • 06-28-2010
    keylay
    Hey guys! The heat is pretty brutal. I work in the heat for either 5, 6 or 11 hours a day, depending on the shift. Those long days are killer and usually I get burnt out from being outside. I try to ride in the A.M. or P.M., when it's the most cool.
  • 06-28-2010
    chas_martel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clewttu
    in dallas too, doesnt feel any different to me
    conditioning is always the biggest factor for me with regards to heat/exhaustion

Yep! I had a 2.5 hr ride on Sat and a 2.5 hr ride on Sun. Surprisingly it was not too
    bad, which I attribute to conditioning. :thumbsup:

It also helps to be smart about things like loading up on essential minerals and water
    before a ride.

It does seem more humid than normal tho.
  • 06-29-2010
    queevil
    I rode at Cameron Park in Waco last Saturday. It was 98. I went through most of my 100oz Camelback in an hour and a half. The heat and humidity sucked. It really sucked the energy out of me way to fast. But it was a great ride. I'll subject myself to the punishment just as soon as I can.
  • 06-30-2010
    chas_martel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by queevil
    I rode at Cameron Park in Waco last Saturday. It was 98. I went through most of my 100oz Camelback in an hour and a half. The heat and humidity sucked. It really sucked the energy out of me way to fast. But it was a great ride. I'll subject myself to the punishment just as soon as I can.

How is the weather in Waco right now? Have you guys gotten the rain we have here
    in Dallas this week? I might have to take a road trip to Waco this week to ride.
  • 06-30-2010
    bloodyknee
    Yeah, I complain about the heat and it rains for three days straight. Paybacks are hell I guess.

I forced myself to drink less soda and more water this week and rode for 2 hours this weekend with better results. I also made sure my electrolytes were okay too. Definately seemed to help. I get tired of water though.

Chas - I didn't know you were in Dallas. Are you on Dorba much?
  • 07-01-2010
    gmtx77
    Just monitor your self and know your limits. I've had heatstroke and it ain't fun. Take plenty of h2o, hydrate 24/7, and if you get hot, stop a while and enjoy some shade.

Hydration is critical. When I used to road race years ago I got a kidney stone because I didn't hydrate enough. Doc told me he sees more cyclists than other athletes. They don't realize how hot and dehydrated they are getting due to the benefit of having a constant breeze from riding. They simply don't see themselves sweating as much.

Don't let your ego override your common sense.
  • 07-01-2010
    clewttu
    i would expand on the above: keep in mind you need to take some electrolytes when you are sweating a lot over extended periods, or all that water can dilute sodium stores in your body and a similar situation to dehydration called hyponatremia can occur... i prefer the sport jelly beans or the gel chews, my buddy likes the goo packs and camelbak elixir for when we are on the trails all day, gatorade/bananas if we make it back to the cars in between...theres a ton of ways to accomplish this, and if you plan on doing some extended riding be sure to grab something
  • 07-01-2010
    gmtx77
    Agreed on the jelly beans and chews. I like to keep my water containers filled with pure h2o. Makes keeping them clean a lot easier.

I recently discovered these. http://www.amazon.com/Sezme-Sesame-S...f=pd_sim_gro_1 They're sweet and actually keep hunger at bay.
  • 07-01-2010
    bobdole
    meh i cant stand those chews and stuff.

I have a oats/chocolate/fruits mix that provides salts, sugars, vitamins, carbs, proteins, etc. Carry a bit in my jersey and more in my pack, small bits of it every 1/2 hour or so keeps me going all day.
  • 07-02-2010
    clewttu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtx77
    I like to keep my water containers filled with pure h2o. Makes keeping them clean a lot easier.

I do as well, tho my buddy has been using the camelbak elixer and swears he never has any funk, and thats the claim from camelbak since there is no sugar in it
    that said, he rinses it out well and stores in the refrigerator
    doesnt taste bad, but i havent given it a go yet