So how easy it is to get lost in Walnut Creek?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

So how easy it is to get lost in Walnut Creek?

I've never been out there, but I was planning on trying to get a hour or two in, every morning before work everyday there.

I was looking at the over head view of the trail system at austinbike.com and am kind of dumbfounded.

Most of the trails I've ridden before were clearly marked and basically a loop with a few offshoots here and there.

I'm just worried about getting lost out there and not making it to work on time.

eek https://austinbike.com/mtb/walnutcreek/wc_aerial.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ride there on Wednesday or thursday before work (start at 6 with lights). It's a twist of trails, but getting lost is half the fun.

Check my site for more maps.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would suggest going and scoping it out before heading out there for a pre-engagement ride. It took me several trips to get my bearings, and those were trips that allowed me the pleasure of losing and finding myself.
    See if you can go with someone who knows a loop out there- look on bike mojo forums for ride info.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I developed a signage plan for the city through the Austin Ridge Riders in.....2000 I think that incorporated GPS points for first responders, arrows to exits, etc., and counted about 95 interesections over the 14 miles of trail I measured. That's about 6.75 intersections per one mile or one intersection every tenth-and-a-half of a mile (.15 mile) in case you were wondering.

D

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    I developed a signage plan for the city through the Austin Ridge Riders in.....2000 I think that incorporated GPS points for first responders, arrows to exits, etc., and counted about 95 interesections over the 14 miles of trail I measured. That's about 6.75 intersections per one mile or one intersection every tenth-and-a-half of a mile (.15 mile) in case you were wondering.

D
    sweet. I guess I'm going to have to give myself some more time.

Sep 2006
    How long does WC take to dry out? I'm thinking of heading over there Friday. I'll have all day to figure the place out.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueadder
    How long does WC take to dry out? I'm thinking of heading over there Friday. I'll have all day to figure the place out.
    There are a few spots that tend to stay wet b/c 1.) they're in flat areas and don't drain, and 2.) they're in the shade, too. Last night reports were coming in that it would dry enough to ride with wetness in the usual places as early as this evening. I realize that you don't know where the usual places are that it's wet, though. Barring anymore rain, it'll definitely be dry by tomorrow.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Dry by Wednesday at 6:00 AM or Thursday? gotta plan my morning ride.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Dry by Wednesday at 6:00 AM or Thursday? gotta plan my morning ride.
    Jennifer scheduled a ride for this afternoon/evening, so we'll know more before YOU ride.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can't get my **** together and have an 8:00 call with Europe on Wednesday in a room with other people so I guess I will ride Thursday morning. Thursday is a press interview but since it's over the phone I can arrive to the call covered in mud and not showered if I want, nobody can tell over the phone. The glory of the big cube.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueadder

I know those trails well. (Proud to say I am one of the hundreds of Austinites who have helped build some of them.) I could probably meet you out there for a little while on Friday, if you want some guidance.

PM me and we'll set something up.
    clair
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Can't get my **** together and have an 8:00 call with Europe on Wednesday....
    Hey John!

Tell Europe, "Hi!" for me and sorry that I haven't visited yet. Tell Europe that I hope to get there before I die.

D

Sep 2006
    Thanks for all the info guys and scorpionwoman you have a pm.

Sep 2006
    bah humbug. I had to go into work today.

Any of you guys know anyone hiring that may need a marketing major college student?

I hope your ride was a good one SW.
    Last edited by Blueadder; 09-22-2006 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Hey John!

Tell Europe, "Hi!" for me and sorry that I haven't visited yet. Tell Europe that I hope to get there before I die.

D
    They said "bonjour!"

When are you riding again, haven't seen you in a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0