snakes alot- Mtbr.com

Thread: snakes alot

Jul 2006

snakes alot

People probably already know about the dangers of snakes in and around trails but what I didnt think about was them being out around this time of year. I went to SFA state park off I-10 by Sealy and a copperhead tried to untie my shoe with its mouth. The snake was in the middle of the jeep trail that feeds the other trails hanging out in the sun getting warm. When I was leaving I saw another copperhead in the road that was already run over. East End park in Kingwood has a few trails by the lake and I saw a cottenmouth by a small bridge. That happened a week ago. Is it the year of the snake or do I have bad luck?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very bad luck. It has dipped down to near freezing here several times already. Those snakes should be gone for the winter by now. Was this near a power plant or something?

BBW
    mtbr member

cool!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been able to see any snakes since I came to TX (2 month ago)

Jul 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

now that I think about it since this is around houston and we dont have winter, we just have consecutive cold fronts followed by temps of 70s-80s the snakes may have not had a chance to dig in yet. Two days ago it was in the lower 80s, then a cold front. But this year I have seen at least 20 snakes. Either riding more or moving to K ingwood or a great year for snakes. I am almost paranoid about it now

Dec 2006

huge rattler on Thanksgiving day

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I haven't been able to see any snakes since I came to TX (2 month ago)
    Thanksgiving day in El Paso Texas had not seen a freeze yet and I forgot that fact. I was riding alone on a single track in the mountains not thinking about snakes... and Whooha s..t, a huge rattlesnake coiled and rattling at me as I rode by in the granny gear on a steep uphill. I don't ride with MP3's anymore!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They also climb trees:

We think that was a bull snake, but it was big....

Got Mojo?

Snakes on Planes!

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    They also climb trees:
    And climb onto planes. Just ask Samuel L. Jackson.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

h-town hucker
    i've only seen a few in houston so far. copperheads, king(or coral) snakes, gardens, and a cotton mouths.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyP1
    i've only seen a few in houston so far. copperheads, king(or coral) snakes, gardens, and a cotton mouths.
    If you ride the Ant Hills, then you learn to keep a sharp eye out and ready to bunny hop. I really hate one part where you have to do a short little climb after the roller coaster section, but you have to maneuver your way between 2 little trees. Yep, you guessed it, I ran over a snake that was spread out across the trail right there. You never really get used to it and after a while, everything on the ground that is snake shaped looks like a snake!

I've heard of them gettting into the trees too, like the pics above.

/gC

Members who have read this thread: 0