SJ Sworks vs Epic Evo R Carbon vs Enduro Carbon, Houston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

SJ Sworks vs Epic Evo R Carbon vs Enduro Carbon, Houston

Hey guys. I've been riding for 10-15 years but recently have got very passionate about some great moderate-advanced trails in the Houston area I found. Jack Brooks Park is amazing.

So I have a entry level Felt HT right now and want to upgrade to a great full suspension bike.
    A couple of bikes I have been eying is an older 2009 Specialized Sworks Stumpjumper FSR 26er for $2100, or a newer 2011 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon Evo R 26er for $2800 ( like new). And a 2010 Enduro Carbon.

Anyone have preferences one over the other? Any other Specialized bike to recommend?

Keep in mind I am an aggressive rider. I love jumps and getting air. I hate getting stuck on an uphill climb, being pretty small in Houston but technical. But every once in a while i go on long straight trails. So im worried about 1x10 gears on the EVO. Is it going to be enough for small advanced uphills and or fast enough for long straightaways. Which bike is better value? Thanks for anyone's input.
    Last edited by Swolern; 01-20-2012 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member
    buy a 29er

mtbr member
    With moderate fitness, the 1x10 in Houston should be fine. I actually have a 1x9 on two fairly heavy bikes (a 35lb Knolly DT and a 38lb Santa Cruz Driver 8 built for full Downhill..but ridden in Houston to keep the bike in working condition for the summer) and can pretty much clear anything at Memorial or the Anthills. (don't make it down to Jackbrooks very often but there is really nothing I could not clear there either). I'm not the most fit rider but can grind up anything Houston has to offer.

If you like the flick-ability of jumping I would go with the Enduro and 26". It has enough travel to handle anything Houston has to offer, but should still pedal very well at a good weight. I think the 2009 is a little old for the price (albeit a solid deal on a good bike). If you ride aggressive, the Epic may be a little too XC oriented with a steep head angle and closer to race geometry.

mtbr member
    Sumpjumper. The Epic isn't going to take jumps very well. The Enduro is a little over kill for this area.

29ers are so gay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok Stumpjumper carbon vs S-works. I tried out a rear susp with brain and it felt much better. The regular Stumpjumper felt a little too bobby, or maybe I just had the settings to low. Man but I do like the look of the Enduro Carbon. Choices.....

mtbr member
    The SJ is going to climb a lot better, especially with the brain. If your going to be jumping or hucking more than 3 ft you might want the Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    The SJ is going to climb a lot better, especially with the brain. If your going to be jumping or hucking more than 3 ft you might want the Enduro.
    Well I do go to Colorado every year or so and it would be nice to take the Enduro down a mountain. I almost killed myself going down a crazy steep expert trail last year, but would do it again in heartbeat. And that was with my cousin's Walmart bike, lol.

The Enduro has a longer frame. Is it less nimble on turns than the SJ? I do ride out the saddle most of the time if that makes a difference.

Btw the 29ers turns way to wide for me.

Which bike do you have Pleepleus? And how are you liking it?

Thx to everyone for advice. Repped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow the Enduro Sworks stock is 28lbs. Isn't the SJ Sworks @ 4-5 lbs lighter? That would make a big difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    27 lbs here 6 inches front and rear, eats up anything in houston and climbs pretty well, though it's an 05-07 frame

OP, you sound like you ride like me. I get gnarly whenever i see something but still ride the same uphills and long flat stuff that every joe schmo with his SS 29er does. I would suggest building your own bike. I have the rock shox revelation rlt ti fork, adjustable from 120-150 on the fly. Usually in Houston i just ride the 120mm and change it to 150 if I plan on getting gnarly. The Fox Talas does this as well. Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is: What's your love for only pre built specialized? They're sooo overpriced for what they are (yes i know i have one, but i got it CHEAAAAAAAAAAP) Also, why carbon? Go get yourself a frame off pinkbike and build that puppy to the exact specs you want. for 2500 bucks you can build a really nice bike from scratch man.
    Last edited by BloodyRoots; 01-20-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Plan for the future and get the Enduro. Eventually you'll get bored with Jack Brooks and want to venture outside Houston to Austin and the surrounding area. While many Austin trails can be rode on an XC bike places like Reimers Ranch, Flat Rock Ranch, and much of the Barton Creek Greenbelt are better on an AM bike. I ride a Ibis Mojo SL with a 140mm fork and shock and while it's overkill for the Houston area it fits right in everywhere else.

Mike S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post

OP, you sound like you ride like me. I get gnarly whenever i see something but still ride the same uphills and long flat stuff that every joe schmo with his SS 29er does. I would suggest building your own bike. I have the rock shox revelation rlt ti fork, adjustable from 120-150 on the fly. Usually in Houston i just ride the 120mm and change it to 150 if I plan on getting gnarly. The Fox Talas does this as well. Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is: What's your love for only pre built specialized? They're sooo overpriced for what they are (yes i know i have one, but i got it CHEAAAAAAAAAAP) Also, why carbon? Go get yourself a frame off pinkbike and build that puppy to the exact specs you want. for 2500 bucks you can build a really nice bike from scratch man.
    Oh I definitely know how overpriced they are. That's why I'm trying to find a great slightly used bike at a great cheap price. I would love to build my own bike from scratch, but unfortunately I don't know enough about each component to make the right decision so I don't mess up the geometry and flow of the bike. I could take the time and do my research and build construction, but my $2500 is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm so ready to hit the trails with the ultimate ride.

I'm choosing carbon for better agility, easier uphill attacks, and better acceleration. This is from what I've read on reviews. This will be my first carbon so do I have it wrong? Is carbon not worth the price increase? I'm leaning towards a SJ S-works, I saw a used 2010 S-works for $2800 that looks new. Retail was @ $8000. Is that not a good price? Should I keep looking? Thanks man.

Btw your bike looks badass. Nice color configuration.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Going to throw in my 2cents. I would recommend getting the enduro. I came from a 2007 stumpy fsr to a 2007 s works enduro sl and could not be any happier. The enduro climbs as well as my stumpy and i could keep up with my brothers: one with an epic, another with a stumpy fsr 29er and another one with an enduro sl carbon.

I fully agree with string on his recommendation and description. If you like maximum pedaling efficiency, get the epic, if you like a good balance of handling, climbing, and jumping off some technical trail features and drops, go with enduro.

Either choice between the three bikes you have narrowed down will put a smile on your face. Good luck and ride safe.

Btw, I also use my enduro on road rides by swapping out my extra wheel set with road tires. I've done 54mi. Averaging 16mph. On this bike hehehe.

With skinny tires
    Last edited by 3xv; 01-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    buy a 29er
    hahaha sike. dont do that!
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
    my $2500 is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm so ready to hit the trails with the ultimate ride.
    It's 2012 get off the kiddie size wheels Camber Comp 29er is your answer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, you'll get bored of the houston trails pretty fast with a bike that can handle more. For instance; last week i rode the hard side of northshore and right now I'm leaving for Cameron park in waco.

OP, I would do a lot of research on componentry and figure out what best suits you. I keep hearing over and over and over from the older guys that have ridden forever that they stopped caring about the little stuff and just focus on a great wheelset and front fork. Also, check out the santa cruz blur ltc, that thing is pretty sicko.

Hal, 29ers suck hehe
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xv View Post
    Going to throw in my 2cents. I would recommend getting the enduro. I came from a 2007 stumpy fsr to a 2007 s works enduro sl and could not be any happier. The enduro climbs as well as my stumpy and i could keep up with my brothers: one with an epic, another with a stumpy fsr 29er and another one with an enduro sl carbon.

I fully agree with string on his recommendation and description. If you like maximum pedaling efficiency, get the epic, if you like a good balance of handling, climbing, and jumping off some technical trail features and drops, go with enduro.

Either choice between the three bikes you have narrowed down will put a smile on your face. Good luck and ride safe.

Btw, I also use my enduro on road rides by swapping out my extra wheel set with road tires. I've done 54mi. Averaging 16mph. On this bike hehehe.

With skinny tires

I think I rode past this bike on Cypresswood a few months ago. I was out on an orange kona stinky and was suprised to see someone else on the trail with a dual crown fork.

mtbr member

Hal, 29ers suck hehe
    Only three types of folks are still riding 26" bikes foreigners, noobs and the totally clueless which one are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Only three types of folks are still riding 26" bikes foreigners, noobs and the totally clueless which one are you?
    Whichever one of those isn't the fanboi

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One of my friends ride a Specialized 29er. I tried it out, it's just not my style. I like the sharper turns and greater agility of the 26er. The 29 does have a smoother ride though than other hard tails. But the 26 I just feel at home.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Swolern;8929935Which bike do you have Pleepleus? And how are you liking it?[/QUOTE]

I have a 08 SJ Expert and I like It. It has the brain rear shock and F120 front. The brain works smooth once you get the air pressure and fade dialed in. Ive ridden Jack Brooks several time and it handled everything just fine. When I ride the paved and gravel greenbelt trails near my house I just tighten the brainfade nob all the way down and it acts like a hardtail.

That Carbon Enduro does look pretty sweet. I don't think you could go wrong with either the SJ or the Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sumpjumper. The Epic isn't going to take jumps very well. The Enduro is a little over kill for this area.

29ers are so gay.
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 08 SJ Expert and I like It. It has the brain rear shock and F120 front. The brain works smooth once you get the air pressure and fade dialed in. Ive ridden Jack Brooks several time and it handled everything just fine. When I ride the paved and gravel greenbelt trails near my house I just tighten the brainfade nob all the way down and it acts like a hardtail.

That Carbon Enduro does look pretty sweet. I don't think you could go wrong with either the SJ or the Enduro.

Ya it's a tie between the SJ & the Enduro. On this video it looks like the Enduro can sure take a beating. I want some trails like that!!
    http://v.vitalmtb.com/5948/a-day-on-...-uid-2--hd.mp4

I've been looking for a Enduro at a LBS to test drive and see if I like the feel, but no one has any Enduros in stock.... Anyone that has had both Enduro and SJ, does the Enduro have more of a upward stance or a forward leaning stance, compared to SJ. Is one better for a person that usually rides out the saddle?
    Last edited by Swolern; 01-22-2012 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ended up getting a 2011 Stumpjumper S-Works and can't stop riding this amazing machine. This is definitely my dream bike. Thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting a 2011 Stumpjumper S-Works and can't stop riding this amazing machine. This is definitely my dream bike. Thanks for the input guys.
    26" or 29"? and a S-Works is quite a jump in price from the $2100-$2800 you first quoted

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    26" or 29"? and a S-Works is quite a jump in price from the $2100-$2800 you first quoted
    I had to go where I felt at home, the 26er. I got a great deal on the bike used on EBay for $3300. Little bit over my budget so I had to do some convincing with the wife. But oh so worth it!

Now if it would just stop raining long enough to dry up...... My bike is begging to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    welcome to the S Works club We look down at the lowly specialized riders LOL

mtbr member
    welcome to the S Works club We look down at the lowly specialized riders LOL
    it's even sweeter in the s-works club snickering at the folks with the kiddie size 26" wheels as we ride by...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=HAL 9000;9110331]it's even sweeter in the s-works club snickering at the folks with the kiddie size 26" wheels as we ride by...

Kiddie tires? Dude enough with the 26 vs 29 complaints...... 26s looks great to me. If you want to go there it's the 29s that look like ballooned out clown tires. Like I said I'm a big jumper and love getting air. My friend already had to have his Specialized 29 tires trued twice due to jumps. F that!

brandisher of chainsaws
    [QUOTE=Swolern;9111134]
    it's even sweeter in the s-works club snickering at the folks with the kiddie size 26" wheels as we ride by...

Kiddie tires? Dude enough with the 26 vs 29 complaints...... 26s looks great to me. If you want to go there it's the 29s that look like ballooned out clown tires. Like I said I'm a big jumper and love getting air. My friend already had to have his Specialized 29 tires trued twice due to jumps. F that!
    don't feed the trolls dude

mtbr member
    My friend already had to have his Specialized 29 tires trued twice due to jumps. F that!
    "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ^ someone obviously doesn't own any tools lol

mtbr member
    "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    says the guy who constantly talks about how terrible 26ers are.

HAL- Youre officially my first and only blocked user so far on this forum. Congratulations on being the douchiest poster on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

mtbr member
    This message is hidden because HAL 9000 is on your ignore list.

very nice. i think ill enjoy this function

brandisher of chainsaws
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post

HAL- Youre officially my first and only blocked user so far on this forum. Congratulations on being the douchiest poster on mtbr.
    Didn't even know you could do that. That's awesome!

mtbr member
    pick the one between the enduro and SJ....SJ Evo...slack head angle for decending and still climbs like a SJ