Should I move back to TX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Should I move back to TX?

So I grew up in Dallas, got my first mountain bike (Spec. Rockhopper) while living there...but wasn't that into it. Moved to CA for college and never looked back. Since, I've become a dedicated mountain biker - it's a huge part of my life. I'm a skier as well, but we'll leave that out of the equation for now. I race DH, love anything freeride, love long cross-country rides, basically I dig it all. But I gotta get my gravity fix. I've lived in CO for 4 years, Utah for 5+, CA for 6. We are actually in Ohio for a couple years right now, and even out here I've found some cool DH/FR stuff in the Appalachian foothills. It ain't the west but it's still a blast. All have had their perks, but I do know I need my big bike playground. Am I going to be miserable back in TX? Sounds like there is some pretty good XC around Dallas and Austin, I just want to be sure I can satisfy my big bike-junkie needs sufficiently while living there, if we end up going back. I do miss the people, my family, and warm weather...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Look into Devil's Den in Arkansas. I hear they have a pretty good DH ride there. I'm in Oklahoma City, I've never made it to the Den but it is one of my goals to be there one of these days.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    If you move back to Texas, move to Austin.
    I'm fron Houston orignially, lived in Nacogdoches for a year, and San Marcos (JUST south of Austin) for three years. I would only move back to Austin if I move back.
    However, Colorado is amazing...and even if I do move, there are better places than Texas that offer more in terms of climate, culture, jobs, etc.

mtbr member
    If you can do some kinda voodoo curse over texas that would keep hurricanes away, then yes! But Austin is a good choice.

Dec 2007
    I'm looking for a good excuse to move to the mountains...any mountains. I grew up in Dallas also, and if I remember correctly, no moutains there. Some decent trails and you can ride year round but it's gonna be hard to get your 'big' fix. Heck, as for skiing, none of the lakes down here have any slopes on them.

Texas has great people etc., but, If it weren't for family, i'd be outa here.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The only good reason to move to Texas is Shiner Bock. I here they are distributing outside of the state now though, so there goes that.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Shinerbock is not a reason to move to TX(they changed it in the early '90s and is isn't the same)
    Don't move to Austin, its horrible.

mtbr member
    YES!

I'm in NC, and would move back in a HEARTBEAT if I can pull it off career-wise...

R

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    The only good reason to move to Texas is Shiner Bock. I here they are distributing outside of the state now though, so there goes that.
    Well you are not a real Texan, they are now distributing out of the COUNTRY, gosh get it right.

Got Mojo?
    The skiing sucks.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    RSW42, what do you do? Maybe we can switch as I can't wait to get back to the Southeast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Living in Dallas/Fort Worth now, some pretty good trails around but no where near where you have been lately...you can get easily get your XC/Cross Country fix, but unfortunately you will have to look else where for your DH/FR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For freeride and downhill in Texass, Hell Paso is the place.. Come to be brutalized here.. SIC SIC trails around...

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    stay as far away as possible....if your used to the hills and skiing......stay far far far away.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I agree that you want to stay far, far away from here. The traffic sucks. The food is horrible. We had over 47 days of triple digit temperatures this year in Austin, which is now the third highest number of triple digit days. Oh, and don't get me started on the riding.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Shut up you cheesehead.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    the food is awesome.....come live up here for a while...and try to get BBQ or decent Mexican food....at least Cameron Park in Waco and the trails in Austin are good....but once I left...I don't think that I would move back ....there isn't enough to support my gravity habbits

May 2008
    Dallas: Great people, food, business climate (i.e., easy to make a lot of money here), low expenses (housing, etc.), and airports that let you go direct to anywhere in the world. In short, quality of life is pretty good, HOWEVER, its hot, flat and dry. In short, its geographically challenged, but an easy place to make money and travel somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    there is some big bike stuff around DFW, you just have to know where to look...

Sep 2008
    I would advise you not to move back to Texas.

That's just because I'm selfish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Heh, thanks for all the replies.

I heart Shiner, but yeah now you can get it anywhere pretty much. No kidding the two biggest reasons I think about moving back are 1-real Mexican food and 2-family, in that order

I guess the responses are about what I expected. Austin seems pretty cool, at least it has some topography. Although way too humid compared to Dallas. I'm sure we'll check it out but chances are we'll stay in the mtns.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    there is some big bike stuff around DFW, you just have to know where to look...
    are you kidding yourself? bunny hopping over H2's and soccermoms...mm i like soccermoms

oh yea - one more - the girls are ****ty there too..

Members who have read this thread: 0