short track stampede in Houston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

short track stampede in Houston

Does anyone know any info about the Short Track Stampede race series in Houston? Like how many miles or laps for cat3 at the first race at cypresswood?. Never raced this series and I would like to know how it is. I just did the Bid Ring Challenge at Double Lake and had a blast.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Had lots of fun doing some of them last year, pretty sure the format will be the same.

You will start by doing a solo timetrial, at Cypresswood last year (site of race #1 this weekend) it was about 2 miles long. From that time you will be seeded into "short track" heats with 3-4 other racers with similar times. That race will be a little longer, maybe 3.5 miles/18 minutes or so.
    The top 2 of each heat move on the next heat...you keep having these small races until you lose out, and/or win overall for your category.
    I think it's fun, the short races are intense, but only 10-20 minutes long. The downside is there's a lot of "sit around and wait" inbetween rounds depending on how many racers show up. The cool part too is that although you're loosely "self-categorized" you're really seeded more with folks of similar times so age and USAC cat are somewhat irrelevant.
    I'm a 50+ Cat 1 and found myself up against some younger Cat 2 and 3's, lots of fun.

Big Damn Hero
    I'm doing this series as well... very excited to try it.

I fully expect to do the time trial and just one race, but oh well... it's good racing experience right?

mtbr member
    There is a flier on www.Ghorba.org Looks like a blast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Its a fun little series.i usually only race at one or two but if i had the time i would race at all of them.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0