Send a Yankee to your best Lone Star riding!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Send a Yankee to your best Lone Star riding!

Alright, let me try to lay this out without dragging on.

The lady and I currently reside in Charlotte, NC and we are looking at having the week of Thanksgiving off. Forgoing heading back to New England to see family we are thinking of taking a grand adventure.

Neither of us has been to Texas except passing through, so why not? I have friends in Austin which I hear is fantastic. The lady needs beaches (not because she's high maintenance, she's a birder, a very serious bird geek). I would love to mix up my usual east coast/hardwood forest riding with some desert singletrack.

I've heard a ton about Big Bend, it seems to satisfy my requirements of big rides in remote locations with fantastic scenery and good riding, but it is a bit far.

Currently the plan to is to hit Arkansas on the way out, maybe stop in Austin, head to a beach, and hit N'awlins on the way home.

So Texans, there's a plethora of info online, but what would folks recommend? I won't be riding a lot, 1 or 2 days at 2-4 hours each day. I like backcountry, big rides, but don't mind a good place close to a city. Technical is good, not really into manmade stuff as much as natural rocky goodness. I love to climb.

Also, on the beach idea, we are thinking of South Padre. The surf seems to be good there, lots of birds on the Rio delta, and probably warm water (we are form New England).

Thoughts? We plan to camp/sleep in the car/etc. most of the trip. Any tips on riding, places to stop, stay, see, eat, drink, swim, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't think you have the time to do everything you're talking about. You and your wife are probably going to have to compromise a bit.

If it were me, I'd make plans to go to Big Bend. It is other-worldly and whether you know it or not, should be on your bucket-list. She's not going to see the massive migrating flocks, like she would on the Texas coast, but Big Bend has species of birds that she is not likely to see anywhere else. It also has some very nice trails to ride just outside of the national park in Lajitas.

All that being said, Big Bend is extremely remote and takes time to properly enjoy. I'm not sure you have enough time to really enjoy it.

Maybe visit Austin - eat, ride, drink, enjoy music. Then, hit Galveston (not the best birding, but can be done) and then spend a night in the Big Easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bprice2 View Post
    I don't think you have the time to do everything you're talking about. You and your wife are probably going to have to compromise a bit.

If it were me, I'd make plans to go to Big Bend. It is other-worldly and whether you know it or not, should be on your bucket-list. She's not going to see the massive migrating flocks, like she would on the Texas coast, but Big Bend has species of birds that she is not likely to see anywhere else. It also has some very nice trails to ride just outside of the national park in Lajitas.

All that being said, Big Bend is extremely remote and takes time to properly enjoy. I'm not sure you have enough time to really enjoy it.

Maybe visit Austin - eat, ride, drink, enjoy music. Then, hit Galveston (not the best birding, but can be done) and then spend a night in the Big Easy.
    Haha, yes, I do tend to get ambitious (that's what shes for, reeling me into reality).

That being said we have 9 days and don't mind driving a bit, but I am trying to pick 1 or 2 places (i.e. a desert spot to ride and a beach spot to chill).

Arkansas would break the long drive up and merely be a sleeping point/me grabbing an early ride. New Orleans is again merely a sleeping point on the way home with likely a day to explore. So that gives up 5 solid days in Texas. Neither is definite and we may skip and drive the whole way to Texas.

Is there good riding along the I-35/I-37 corridor if we went all the way to South Padre from AR?

Big Bend may only make sense if we do it and only it.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately big rides in remote back country locations are hard to come by in TX, despite our massive footprint on the map... Personally I would skip Big Bend... IMO the payoff won't justify the many extra hours of driving, unless you've got several days to kill. Austin has fantastic natural rocky tech riding in and around town.... just minutes from hotels, music, breweries, whatever you're into...or an hour out of town at Reveille Peak Ranch you can get pretty far "out there" with granite dome rock crawling, huge 360 deg views... world class riding and pretty darn good scenery too. Google them and check the schedule...they're not open 7 days a week and sometimes have private events. Some decent birding opportunities around town too, and the world's largest urban population of bats put on a show every evening right over town lake on the edge of downtown.

For two days of riding, leaning toward natural rocky tech, I'd say a guided tour of the best of Barton Creek one day, and another day at Reveille Peak would leave you beat down, uplifted, and grinning from ear to ear.

From here, 3.5 hours to Corpus Christi and the north end of Padre Island National Sea Shore, or 6 hrs to head down to South Padre.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would do biking in Austin

Bcgb bootlegs (need guide) for sure then maybe some out of town trails.

3.5 his to padre island national seashore

Then new Orleans

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sounds like Camp Eagle would have been awesome for you, but unfortunately that is closed to riding outside of the TMBRA events.

Colorado Bend is pretty neat, but is probably 2 hours from Austin.

Reveillie Peak Ranch (weekends open) is really neat. Not sure if any of these would meet your requirements. Check these sites out:

https://rootsrated.com/explore/mount...r/Austin,%20TX

MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Trails | Region 6 - Hill Country

If you had more time, Big Bend Ranch State Park is absolutely unbelievable. Very nice RV park (Maverick) in Lajitas. Well worth the trip, but again, you'll need at least 2 days of riding time (Lajitas Airport has some nice fast flowy trails as well).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are coming to Texas, I am biased, but Austin is your best bet for sheer number of trails and widest variety of trails.

If you come down here let me know, I can give you a good GB tour.

Http://www.austinbike.com
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Thanks all, sounds like Austin is the best bet. I've heard a ton about it (gee, who hasn't haha) and as noted have a friend there. I didn't necessarily need big remote rides, but I am stoked to ride some rocky, technical trails in an ecosystem different than what I've had for the last few years.

This also lets us easily hop over to the beach for some relaxation and surf (and birds).

Big Bend is definitely on my list, but I don't want to do it wrong so it needs a solid time commitment. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Near Austin, and considered some of the best MTB trails: Rocky Hill Ranch. I liked it, but preferred Bluff Creek Ranch more.

mtbr member
    +1 for Austin Greeenbelt and City Park, Corpus Christi and or Padre. In Arkansas,Eureka Springs is great with Lake Leatherwood trails close by or you can go hit up Mountain View Syllamo in Ozarks.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    I've heard a ton about Big Bend, it seems to satisfy my requirements of big rides in remote locations with fantastic scenery and good riding, but it is a bit far.

I like backcountry, big rides, but don't mind a good place close to a city. Technical is good, not really into manmade stuff as much as natural rocky goodness. I love to climb.

Also, on the beach idea, we are thinking of South Padre. The surf seems to be good there, lots of birds on the Rio delta, and probably warm water (we are form New England).
    Based on some of the things you said, I would go to Big Bend Nat. Park/Big Bend Ranch State Park area for mountain biking. Also the Chisos mountains in Big Bend Nat. Park is supposed to have over 400 something species of birds that can be seen there - I think they say it's more than any other Nat. Park. Then you could make your way down to South Padre Island for an awesome beach and another major migratory bird route along the coast (more sea/coastal birds). The only problem is timing, though. If your time is short in Texas you would need to plan out locations and routes well to make the most of it - especially in Western Texas where everything is very spread out. But for the type of mountain biking you mentioned, definitely El Paso area and Big Bend area. And the scenery out there is definitely the most dramatic and awesome in the state.

mtbr member
    Big Bend is a long ass way away. From Austin, its a good 8 hour drive one way. it is cool for sure, but as someone who has lived in Colorado, it was a bit underwhelming. but im not a huge fan of the desert, and Big BEnd is mostly desert. the hot springs pool in the park right on the Rio Grande was pretty cool. we went at sunset and it was really nice. the hiking up in the mountains is solid as well.

Austin will have the best riding in TX. Austinbike knows about pretty much everything there is to know about trails around here. The out of town rides (Rocky Hill, Reveille PEak Ranch, etc...) are all pretty decent, but aside from a few spots at each, none are all that technical in my opinion. Barton Creek Greenbelt would be the best place to see a huge variety of fast stuff, and techy stuff. If you want the most technical, rocky ledgy riding, City Park is the way to go. I ride out there all the time. Ill show you around if Im in town when you want to ride

What kind of bike are you bringing?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Austin will have the best riding in TX.
    I guess it depends on what kind of riding you like to do. But are you sure you've ridden in West Texas? Big Bend Ranch State Park? Big Bend Nat. Park? El Paso Franklin Mountains and surrounding area? I like to ride some places in the Hill Country, but some people would say the only true "mountain" biking you can do in Texas is in West Texas.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Big Bend Ranch state park has some awesome riding, but given its remote location it doesn't make sense to do out there for less then 4 or 5 days. With driving that could easily turn into a week long trip.

Austin has a surprising amount of riding, but given the lay out and terrain it can be frustrating until you learn the trails, or are highly technically skilled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    What kind of bike are you bringing?
    The only bike I own...my Kona Unit (with a fork). I never let it stop me though, I grew up riding New England and currently hoof it out the Pisgah almost every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Big Bend Ranch state park has some awesome riding, but given its remote location it doesn't make sense to do out there for less then 4 or 5 days. With driving that could easily turn into a week long trip.

Austin has a surprising amount of riding, but given the lay out and terrain it can be frustrating until you learn the trails, or are highly technically skilled.
    Yeah, sadly to make the trip enjoyable we are skipping Big Bend, that should be its own trip. Coming all the way from Charlotte Austin is 18 hours of driving as is, and with only 8 days (including driving) we plan to spend a few in Austin then head to South Padre or Corpus Christi depending on how we feel.

I ride a SS, always have, so I'm use to frustration, I'm not too proud to walk. I do love a challenge though, and as long as its not 2+ foot drops and similar I feel pretty confident.

mtbr member
    Check out Colorado Bend state park. About an hour and a half from Austin 30+ miles of awesome single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alright, let me try to lay this out without dragging on.

The lady and I currently reside in Charlotte, NC and we are looking at having the week of Thanksgiving off. Forgoing heading back to New England to see family we are thinking of taking a grand adventure.

Neither of us has been to Texas except passing through, so why not? I have friends in Austin which I hear is fantastic. The lady needs beaches (not because she's high maintenance, she's a birder, a very serious bird geek). I would love to mix up my usual east coast/hardwood forest riding with some desert singletrack.

Currently the plan to is to hit Arkansas on the way out, maybe stop in Austin, head to a beach, and hit N'awlins on the way home.

So Texans, there's a plethora of info online, but what would folks recommend? I won't be riding a lot, 1 or 2 days at 2-4 hours each day. I like backcountry, big rides, but don't mind a good place close to a city. Technical is good, not really into manmade stuff as much as natural rocky goodness. I love to climb.

Thoughts? We plan to camp/sleep in the car/etc. most of the trip. Any tips on riding, places to stop, stay, see, eat, drink, swim, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Texas is big. Like REALLY big. If you only have a week to drive from NE and back, you won't have time to do even half of what you've listed. Others have chimed in where to ride, but also weather can throw a wrench in everything. It won't be snowing or anything like that, but it might be raining which will close all trails, so I wouldn't necessarily plan my trip around riding. If you want nice beaches and are going to be passing through New Orleans, just keep going east at the beaches in Alabama or Mississippi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Texas is big. Like REALLY big. If you only have a week to drive from NE and back, you won't have time to do even half of what you've listed. Others have chimed in where to ride, but also weather can throw a wrench in everything. It won't be snowing or anything like that, but it might be raining which will close all trails, so I wouldn't necessarily plan my trip around riding. If you want nice beaches and are going to be passing through New Orleans, just keep going east at the beaches in Alabama or Mississippi.
    Yeah...I've been trying not to think about rain. We are coming from Charlotte. Most of the trip is planned around the beach, South Padre, so she can tick off birds and I can hopefully surf.

Austin will be a 2 day stop to see the sights and let me ride.

We did consider just doing Florida, which would make much less car time. But I've ridden Florida a lot and she spent 8 months doing bird work so we've had our fill.

We're young, 20 hours one way in a car to see something we never have is just an adventure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Corpus, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Matagorda Bay areas are all good for birding and much closer to Austin than South Padre. IMO, Padre is too far and not really worth the extra hours in the car.

If you're coming down I-35 from DFW to Austin, stop off in Waco and hit Cameron Park. One of my favorite places in TX to ride. You could stop off for a couple hours and have a great ride, your spouse could do some birding along the river in the same park. Palo Duro Canyon is pretty good for some desert type riding but would be out of your way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    +1 on Matagorda Bay being a better beach than Galveston or Padre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    Corpus, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Matagorda Bay areas are all good for birding and much closer to Austin than South Padre. IMO, Padre is too far and not really worth the extra hours in the car.

If you're coming down I-35 from DFW to Austin, stop off in Waco and hit Cameron Park. One of my favorite places in TX to ride. You could stop off for a couple hours and have a great ride, your spouse could do some birding along the river in the same park. Palo Duro Canyon is pretty good for some desert type riding but would be out of your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    +1 on Matagorda Bay being a better beach than Galveston or Padre
    Good info on the trails, will have to see how much time she gives me on the bike.

About the beaches, really now? I obviously have never been to Texas (I don't count driving across 40 once). I did some small research on beaches/birds. The Rio Grande delta seemed prime bird territory, plus Boca Chica seemed like a good place to hide away/camp on the beach. I also read the waves at Padre were good, some surf would be good for me.

I read that Galveston sucked and Padre itself was a spring break haven, but its November. Plus we planned to get out of town.

We considered Corpus Christi if we didn't feel like driving to Padre. We are also the types who want to sleep in the car or camp not pay for a hotel.

Suggestions? Pretty sure she will see new birds no matter where we go, I would appreciate some surf.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think you'll be disappointed in TX surf unless there's a storm.
    Yes, Galveston sucks. The beach that is, plenty of other things to do and see there but if you're going for the beach, don't. In fact, I'd avoid Houston all together. Spend your time in the Hill Country, Austin, Dripping Springs, Fredricksburg, Wimberly, New Braunfels, etc. Beautiful country.
    Padre is nice, don't get me wrong, it's just nothing spectacular and not worth the long drive when you could go to Corpus/Mustang Island and enjoy the same beach. Padre just seemed so 'touristy'.
    Never camped on the beaches here so not sure if/where that is allowed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Reading this thread made me miss living in Austin. Hit up Taco Deli for me if you ride the Greenbelt. Emma Long/City Park is pretty sweet, I liked seeing moto guys out there tearing it up, while riding. Not the flowiest of places, though...

I liked riding out at Reimers Ranch and Rocky Hill (as a few others have mentioned) when I lived out there, too.

Plus, obviously, it's tough to beat Austin for all things related to after your ride.

mtbr member
    A week out from our trip and I see this for weather, looks like y'all got some rain which is no bueno. I also see the forecast calling for some sun, hopefully that helps dry it out, but we plan to arrive later Sunday and leave Tuesday. So my riding was likely going to be Monday. Which calls for showers.

My question to Austin-ites(?) will small showers make the riding a no go? If we can get there early enough Sunday maybe I should just get my ride in then.

This of course is a long-term forecast so I'll have to watch it.

As a heads up I was just planning to hit Barton Creek. If rain did occur, is there a place to ride in Austin for wet conditions? Perhaps somewhere else in Texas? Other major cities we will pass through: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. Possible rides near those if it rains?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    A week out from our trip and I see this for weather, looks like y'all got some rain which is no bueno. I also see the forecast calling for some sun, hopefully that helps dry it out, but we plan to arrive later Sunday and leave Tuesday. So my riding was likely going to be Monday. Which calls for showers.

My question to Austin-ites(?) will small showers make the riding a no go? If we can get there early enough Sunday maybe I should just get my ride in then.

This of course is a long-term forecast so I'll have to watch it.

As a heads up I was just planning to hit Barton Creek. If rain did occur, is there a place to ride in Austin for wet conditions? Perhaps somewhere else in Texas? Other major cities we will pass through: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. Possible rides near those if it rains?

Thanks for the help.
    I can speak for Houston... I like to ride at Memorial Park, and so do a lot of other people. It's actually a very good trail to be in a large, flat city. The trails are built in and around a bayou (and forest), so there is some short ups/downs which helps give a good flow through some sections, but expect to do a lot of pedaling to keep your momentum up, as there are also a lot of roots. just don't expect any real elevation change. The trails are currently dry, but there is rain forecasted for tomorrow (Tue. 17th). If Memorial park does get a good rain, the trails probably won't be rideable again until at least Friday (of course it depends on how much rain falls on the park). Another trail is the Anthills, not my favorite, but some people like it. It's similar to Memorial Park as it's on a bayou and through woods, but it's not as rough/technical as there are not as many exposed roots. The trail mileage is also less that you can get at Memorial Park. I wouldn't really call it elevation change, but Anthills does have a little more height/depth in some sections as far as the ups/downs than Memorial does.

mtbr member
    Long range forecasts in Austin are about as useful as tits on a bull... (no extra charge for that Texas colloquialism, Pardner). We have pretty certain rain in the next day or two, and then some sunshine in the forecast for a few days, so don't despair, you'll probably be good. To answer your question though, some trails in Austin will be off the list if very much rain falls with all the moisture in the ground already. BCGB can get rained out pretty quickly, and the trails don't withstand traffic well when they're wet, so best not to poach.... and a guide (which is always recommended in there) becomes even more critical unless you like spending more time carrying your bike through rushing water than you do pedaling. In town, City Park does best in the rain.... there's plenty of 2'+ ledges in there
    and Reveille Peak is best of all when everything else is rained out.... the dirt is packed sand that drains well, and the granite has sandpaper traction even where it's wet and algae-covered....crazy fun in the wet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Houston - if it rains any more than 1/4 inch, you're not riding dirt for min of 24-48 hours. That said, it's so big, one side and trail can be soaked but the other bone dry.
    CyCreek is the best trail system in Houston in my opinion.
    Trails in Houston: Cypress Creek (NW side), Cypress Wood (NW side), Anthills (West Side), Memorial (Central), Jack Brooks (South) if you're down south towards Galveston. JB takes a long time to dry out after a rain. Rain and storms Tuesday but forecast looks perfect for the 10 days following.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    With all the rain the whole state got thanks to the hurricane and now the lower temps, I bet everything but the lightest rain is bad enough to close most trails. Here in North Texas the trails barely opened up this weekend and last night it poured again, so no biking for up to a week minimum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Within the *general* Austin area there are 3-4 trails that can be ridden.

City park is usually good within 24 hours of rain.

Reveille Peak Ranch is usually good within 24 hours of rain.

Pace Bend is usually good within 48 hours of rain.

The key for us is whether the days following the rain are warm, sunny and windy or cold, overcast and still.

If you are in Austin, we can help you find a place to ride, unless it is raining throughout your trip.

I rode 2 private trails, the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Walnut Creek, all within the last 4 days and all were rideable, but the current rain will render them unrideable for the next 3-4 days at least because they were already wet.

The top 3 will be rideable tomorrow or thursday, the others possibly by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Padre is worth it for the surf. Especially that time of year. Corpus is also good, plus has Bob Hall Pier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You'll love Austin. Looks like your MTB recommendations are spot on. Here are my food recommendations...

Torcy's Tacos (or Taco Deli)

La BBQ if you don't want to wait 4 hours at franklins

Hop Doddy, the best burgers ever. Get their truffle fries! Go to the one on congress to check out all the cook stuff in the area. You can park for free behind the restaurant if you have the ticket validated.

Via 313 for the best pizza you've ever had!

If you want to picnic, go to central market to get your grub.

For beer or liquor, go to the Specs or Total wine in Sunset valley. Check both out...pretty awesome!

What are your New Orleans plans? Whatever you do, DO NOT sleep in your car there. I grew up in the NOLA area, trust me, don't do it! If you're looking for food recommendations there, let me know. There are lots of touristy restaurants that aren't that great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    If you are in Austin, we can help you find a place to ride, unless it is raining throughout your trip.
    I'll be in touch as the trip grows closer! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
    Padre is worth it for the surf. Especially that time of year. Corpus is also good, plus has Bob Hall Pier.
    Nice! We may do Corpus, but I'm hoping to get a little play time in the water in.

Quote Originally Posted by StanLSU View Post
    You'll love Austin. Looks like your MTB recommendations are spot on. Here are my food recommendations...

Hop Doddy, the best burgers ever. Get their truffle fries! Go to the one on congress to check out all the cook stuff in the area. You can park for free behind the restaurant if you have the ticket validated.

For beer or liquor, go to the Specs or Total wine in Sunset valley. Check both out...pretty awesome!

What are your New Orleans plans? Whatever you do, DO NOT sleep in your car there. I grew up in the NOLA area, trust me, don't do it! If you're looking for food recommendations there, let me know. There are lots of touristy restaurants that aren't that great.
    Thanks man! And we have a hostel for Austin and NOLA hah. I believe its in a good section of town. Basically get there Saturday night from Corpus, hang out, wake up Sunday, see some stuff, leave to get back to Charlotte.

mtbr member

+1 ^^^
    Of course, you're asking for a food fight if you post "best ####" in Austin, so I'll add:
    Taco Deli 1st, Torchy's 2nd
    Wholy Cow Burger on S. Lamar is my favorite burger (but I haven't tried Hop Daddy...and Wholy Cow is pretty low brow...basically an old convenience store, and you can't drink beer there (legally), but they make great burgers with local ingredients!)
    and I still think the Salt Lick is the best Q around, all things considered

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I still think the Salt Lick is the best Q around, all things considered
    Based on cost and location, I was always a fan of the Green Mesquite... Used to go there on my lunches from Jack & Adam's, and get a big ass pulled pork or brisket sammy for like 4 bones. I know it's not the sexy choice, but to each their own, right?!

mtbr member
    Yep, I've eaten my share of brisket and ribs there too..but not in a long time.

And Franklin does make great BBQ too....hopefully their effort to reduce the # of line whores is working...although I've wondered how the hell they'd pull that off.

Like I said, discussing "best Texas BBQ" is asking for a fight! Haha! Even just best Lockhart BBQ is asking for a fight.

Next episode....
    Breweries

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also, if you're venturing the French Quarter late at night, stay between bourbon st. and the river. Always stay in well lit areas where you can see a lot of people. I know I sound like an annoying mom, but trust me. Just forgot to post that before.

mtbr member
    Also, if you're venturing the French Quarter late at night, stay between bourbon st. and the river. Always stay in well lit areas where you can see a lot of people. I know I sound like an annoying mom, but trust me. Just forgot to post that before.
    Duly noted.

Hey all, we are closing in. Looks like Sunday/Monday may be clear. How is Barton holding up? We may make it to town early enough Sunday for me to ride. My plan was for Monday.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was out on the BCGB yesterday and it was in very good shape (considering all of the weather). Should be excellent tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have 2 conference calls tomorrow (10AM and 1PM) so if I was going to ride, the best opportunity would be 2:30 in the afternoon.

If you want to ride at 2:30, I can join you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Actually I might be free in the morning, It will be cold, but if you want to ride, ping me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Padre island national seashore has Bird island basin. Can camp on beach all up and down north padre and mustang island. Can also drive on Texas beaches

Corpus is one of the best places in the country to kite surf and wind surf

mtbr member
    A quick thanks to all who contributed, a sorry to Austin Bike for never getting in touch because well I'm bad at that especially when I am on the road. A little trip report for those interested:

We had a great two days in Austin. Definitely loved the vibes, fun place to walk around (quite the capital ya'll go there), and had some great food.

Night one we hit Torchy's and had some good beer then walked around while finding more beer. We also ended up grabbing P. Terrys on our stumble home.

Next day I dropped the lady at Zilker Park, we walked around and checked the springs out then I parked myself at 360 trailhead to shave time of her waiting. I used Strava Heatmap a lot to find trails but obviously the greenbelt has a lot close together.

The plan was to hit up an obvious trail that looped out to the south of the creek and come back to the Hill of Life and ride easy greenbelt back to the car.

Ride got right off to an adventure. I was having a blast when I came to a section with chain and figured maybe I was riding the wrong trail, so I waded the creek, only to discover I needed to be on the other side, I waded back. Wading back was quite the trip as I I just dove in, a family watched trying to figure out why this man was crotch deep in water and muck. Buzz off I wanted to say, I'm on an adventure!

From there I missed a turn and ended up at Walmart, great climb up, I loved it. I checked Heatmap and rode around Walmart to get back on trail. From there it was pretty smooth sailing, well, I didn't get lost, smooth doesn't describe the riding. Honestly some of the funnest trail I've ridden, I had a blast. The SS was perfect, I only saw one other rider out there. It was a remote feeling within a city and trail was great. I would tell anyone they should ride here.

When I finally made it to the waterfall back by the actual greenbelt I was stoked. But then I had to figure out how everyone crosses the creek, I wanted to hit the greenbelt and just spin to the car to grab lunch with the girl. I considered wading below the waterfall but it was deep.

I finally figured out it seemed you cross right there on top of the falls. From there it was easy except for hikers and I climbed up from the greenbelt when I shouldn't have to some underpass parking, but was able to drop back down, wade across, and climb to the car.

We hit Green Mesquite because it was so close. Other highlights were the beer, the homeless man shitting on the street (keep Austin weird?), Curra's, some brewery in a warehouse, and too many Lonestars at the Hole in the Wall where we saw some great music.

mtbr member
    nice. sounds about like all the BCGB rides I did my first couple years in town. Good call on torchys. I like them a bit more than Taco Deli (although both are good). Curra's is excellent as well.