Save the Anthills, Houston, TX- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 64 of 64
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665

    Save the Anthills, Houston, TX

    The best single-track trail system and associated bicycle terrain park in Houston is slated to be destroyed and turned into flood control detention ponds (with questionable effectiveness). Many of the nearby homeowners associations are against this as the plan will destroy the remaining wooded and natural areas along the bayou. They seek to team with the trail users to oppose this. Rather than keep updating here, please bookmark this link check in from time to time:

    Terry Hershey Park Hike & Bike Trail - The AntHills - Houston Texas • View topic - SAVE THE ANTHILLS

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Oh no!!!

  3. #3
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    This would of never been a topic if the Anthills was left as it was before GHORBA making it "Official" and the jumps built what used to be known as the "Bowl".

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: srey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    296
    Well, I guess they can go and ruin the only decent riding in Houston. I was already frustrated by the lack of good trails in this area after my move from Utah, but this might have me looking for a new job out west.
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Go here and "like" this page. Other info available there as well.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oppos...494511?sk=wall

  6. #6
    I miss f88
    Reputation: laxman2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    This would of never been a topic if the Anthills was left as it was before GHORBA making it "Official" and the jumps built what used to be known as the "Bowl".
    You know not of what you speak. This is a plan to address flooding issues, which, if you live in Houston, are legitimate. The option being proposed appears to be driven by a number of big picture issues and has been fast-tracked without considering what many believe are better, long-term solutions that will not result in the destruction of the forested area on the south side of the Bayou. I can assure you getting rid of MTB trails (or whatever you assume) has nothing to do with what is going on.

    Recognizing this trail as legitimate is the first step necessary to turn it into a recognized asset of the community. As the current president of GHORBA, my letter in opposition will be based upon the work we have done and plan to do in the future to improve the trail for all users. But this is a multi-faceted issue, which is why we are working with other groups to try and look at other alternatives.

    I was at the meeting when the issue of engaging the county and flood control about the trails was discussed. A decision, which obviously you disagree with, was made and the P3 and flood control blessed our proposal. It has proven itself to be the right decision and this current situation is not a result of GHORBA's actions as you mistakenly state. It is about time that those of you who advocated a "don't ask, don't tell" policy admit you were wrong, or at least stop posting baseless allegations about GHORBA. Thanks, Bill

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CmdrChode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    You know not of what you speak. This is a plan to address flooding issues, which, if you live in Houston, are legitimate. The option being proposed appears to be driven by a number of big picture issues and has been fast-tracked without considering what many believe are better, long-term solutions that will not result in the destruction of the forested area on the south side of the Bayou. I can assure you getting rid of MTB trails (or whatever you assume) has nothing to do with what is going on.

    Recognizing this trail as legitimate is the first step necessary to turn it into a recognized asset of the community. As the current president of GHORBA, my letter in opposition will be based upon the work we have done and plan to do in the future to improve the trail for all users. But this is a multi-faceted issue, which is why we are working with other groups to try and look at other alternatives.

    I was at the meeting when the issue of engaging the county and flood control about the trails was discussed. A decision, which obviously you disagree with, was made and the P3 and flood control blessed our proposal. It has proven itself to be the right decision and this current situation is not a result of GHORBA's actions as you mistakenly state. It is about time that those of you who advocated a "don't ask, don't tell" policy admit you were wrong, or at least stop posting baseless allegations about GHORBA. Thanks, Bill
    +1 to that. Unless the trails are official there is no mechanism for advocacy; ergo no one to represent their value to the community. During their time as renegade trails they were subject to summary closure and/or destruction at any time. The police have arrested people doing trailwork on the Anthills because of poor relations with the authorities and their lack of understanding as to what was being done. The very fact that we can discuss organizing and rallying support for the Anthills is because they are official. I ride the Anthills 2-3 times per week and can say without hesitation I would never want to go back to the renegade days. Official status means trailwork, conservation, and support in time of need. Everything you need for a healthy trail system.

    GaryH - The notion of unofficial trails somehow being advantageous is nothing but romantic fantasy. If you truly wish to protect the trails, please get your facts straight and help GHORBA marshall support and awareness on this very important issue.

  10. #10
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    My bad. I shot my mouth off before I knew the facts.

  11. #11
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude View Post
    Go here and "like" this page. Other info available there as well.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oppos...494511?sk=wall
    Done!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Last edited by WaveDude; 11-04-2011 at 06:03 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by srey View Post
    Well, I guess they can go and ruin the only decent riding in Houston. I was already frustrated by the lack of good trails in this area after my move from Utah, but this might have me looking for a new job out west.
    I share your pain with regard to the quality of riding. GHORBA does its best and I give it big props for trying, but it's just too flat down here to make for any really good trails.

    Even though I've got a great job here and I'd take a huge paycut to move West, it's only a matter of time before the pull is too strong. On the other hand, though, I imagine you don't have a very long riding season in Utah, right (St. George aside)?

    If Anthills gets taken and you haven't tried it, give Double Lake a ride. It's a nice (but certainly not technically thrilling) piece of singletrack that genuinely feels like "the great outdoors."

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    liked the fb page

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236
    Signed the online petition and liked the facebook page. You can sign the online petition even if you dont live in the affected area.

    Petition Page
    Environment Petition: Save the Terry Hershey Park Forest | Change.org

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23
    2 days ago I heard from a senior Harris County Flood Control official that the proposed retaining ponds were just an idea floating around and had no solidity at the moment. He speculated that the plan, if ever put into place, is ten years down the line. I did just a vibe of frustration that hinted at the outcry he has endured over the topic. It's good to know the MB community is somewhat united. On the topic of GHORBA, it is easy to justify their effectiveness in the community when viewed as a singular organization, but when compared to similar groups across the country, they are clearly lacking. I have been involved in groups in CO, MD, VA, and NC and they were leagues above GHORBA in every aspect.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by scpeters View Post
    2 days ago I heard from a senior Harris County Flood Control official that the proposed retaining ponds were just an idea floating around and had no solidity at the moment. He speculated that the plan, if ever put into place, is ten years down the line. I did just a vibe of frustration that hinted at the outcry he has endured over the topic. It's good to know the MB community is somewhat united. On the topic of GHORBA, it is easy to justify their effectiveness in the community when viewed as a singular organization, but when compared to similar groups across the country, they are clearly lacking. I have been involved in groups in CO, MD, VA, and NC and they were leagues above GHORBA in every aspect.
    Don't know about the other regions but, I'm here in Houston from Colorado and, given the size of their biking community (many of them being hardcore tree huggers and active politically) I get that they have a measurable impact on these issues. But, I would not say GHORBA is lacking. As I ride the Anthills, I see and feel GHORBA's effect on every bit of the trail system. And, given MTBR is the largest and most active online mtb community...the fact that this issue is even being discussed here is evidence, IMO, that GHORBA is most certainly having an impact on getting this issue in front of those of us who can help make the difference!!

    Just sayin'!!
    Last edited by Andy Pancroft; 11-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  19. #19
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Let me ask this about GHORBA.

    Would The Anthills be a "Recognized" trail system without them? Are they responsible for putting The Anthills on the proverbial map?

  20. #20
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by scpeters View Post
    On the topic of GHORBA, it is easy to justify their effectiveness in the community when viewed as a singular organization, but when compared to similar groups across the country, they are clearly lacking. I have been involved in groups in CO, MD, VA, and NC and they were leagues above GHORBA in every aspect.
    How is GHORBA lacking compared to other groups you've been involved with? I'm not asking as a smartass but as someone who wants to help GHORBA be better. I volunteer with GHORBA to organize their group rides and skills clinics and my main objective is to make GHORBA as good as it can be. I'm honestly interested in you opinions on how we can mage our organization better.

    Mike Strawn

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Let me ask this about GHORBA.

    Would The Anthills be a "Recognized" trail system without them? Are they responsible for putting The Anthills on the proverbial map?
    No but they might be able to save them.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

  22. #22
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Me:

    Let me ask this about GHORBA.

    Would The Anthills be a "Recognized" trail system without them? Are they responsible for putting The Anthills on the proverbial map?
    __________________

    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    No but they might be able to save them.
    Sorry, either your new, or drink too much of the koolaide. I mean no disrespect, but they're was a time when mentioning the Anthills in public was taboo and the trails was an underground thing known only to a handful of people. Now it's well known, publicized and promoted.

    Who did that?

    Ill tell ya who! Self righteous wanna be managers who need an issue created, so they can exhibit their prowess to save us from the unknown.

    Again, I have no hatred to anybody, or mean no harm to anyone. JMO.

  23. #23
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    How is GHORBA lacking compared to other groups you've been involved with? I'm not asking as a smartass but as someone who wants to help GHORBA be better. I volunteer with GHORBA to organize their group rides and skills clinics and my main objective is to make GHORBA as good as it can be. I'm honestly interested in you opinions on how we can mage our organization better.

    Mike Strawn
    Bike lanes?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Me:

    Let me ask this about GHORBA.

    Would The Anthills be a "Recognized" trail system without them? Are they responsible for putting The Anthills on the proverbial map?
    __________________



    Sorry, either your new, or drink too much of the koolaide. I mean no disrespect, but they're was a time when mentioning the Anthills in public was taboo and the trails was an underground thing known only to a handful of people. Now it's well known, publicized and promoted.

    Who did that?

    Ill tell ya who! Self righteous wanna be managers who need an issue created, so they can exhibit their prowess to save us from the unknown.

    Again, I have no hatred to anybody, or mean no harm to anyone. JMO.
    I AM new - both the Texas and mtb biking so, I'll ask...even if your point is valid, were the trails then or would they now be in their current condition sans GHORBA??? My example(s) for my query would be bridges, certain areas of "grooming", etc?? Again, I am new to both and and asking a honest question.

    Thanks!!

    Andy
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  25. #25
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    I AM new - both the Texas and mtb biking so, I'll ask...even if your point is valid, were the trails then or would they now be in their current condition sans GHORBA??? My example(s) for my query would be bridges, certain areas of "grooming", etc?? Again, I am new to both and and asking a honest question.

    Thanks!!

    Andy
    Hi Andy. Good questions and Ill start with trail grooming. Just me, but I like trails that haven't been vacuumed, swept, or prepared for less than good riders with bridges, escalators, lifts and handicapped lines.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    Things usually are better when done with permission. I'm new enough to know that, wiseguy.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Hi Andy. Good questions and Ill start with trail grooming. Just me, but I like trails that haven't been vacuumed, swept, or prepared for less than good riders with bridges, escalators, lifts and handicapped lines.
    I see your point of view there. Maybe once I've further developed my skills, I may take that position as well?? For now, I'll take all the help I can get!!!! LOL
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  28. #28
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    You know not of what you speak. This is a plan to address flooding issues, which, if you live in Houston, are legitimate. The option being proposed appears to be driven by a number of big picture issues and has been fast-tracked without considering what many believe are better, long-term solutions that will not result in the destruction of the forested area on the south side of the Bayou. I can assure you getting rid of MTB trails (or whatever you assume) has nothing to do with what is going on.

    Recognizing this trail as legitimate is the first step necessary to turn it into a recognized asset of the community. As the current president of GHORBA, my letter in opposition will be based upon the work we have done and plan to do in the future to improve the trail for all users. But this is a multi-faceted issue, which is why we are working with other groups to try and look at other alternatives.

    I was at the meeting when the issue of engaging the county and flood control about the trails was discussed. A decision, which obviously you disagree with, was made and the P3 and flood control blessed our proposal. It has proven itself to be the right decision and this current situation is not a result of GHORBA's actions as you mistakenly state. It is about time that those of you who advocated a "don't ask, don't tell" policy admit you were wrong, or at least stop posting baseless allegations about GHORBA. Thanks, Bill
    Howdy Bill. I didn't see your post due the the weird way the quotes work here until now. Got a question. Being the anthills is considered waterfront property, what's the classification? Is it public property subjected to the open beaches act?

  29. #29
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    And again, I mean no harm. I feel opening up the discussion gets things done. In my warped way.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by scpeters View Post
    2 days ago I heard from a senior Harris County Flood Control official that the proposed retaining ponds were just an idea floating around and had no solidity at the moment. He speculated that the plan, if ever put into place, is ten years down the line.
    And they'll tell you that to your face while they sneak around behind your back and start up the bulldozers. That may be HCFCD's view but the COH is the one pushing and funding this. I've seen a couple of Cap Improvement plans (past and future) showing $2+ million already spent on an "idea floating around" and budget for another $8 million to start digging. The city has "Rain Tax" money burning a hole in their pocket and a need to payoff a lot of construction/engineering donors.

  31. #31
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    ...

  32. #32
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Bike lanes?
    Bike lanes would be great and GHORBA would love for our town to have them but you need to understand one thing; the City of Houston government isn't bike friendly. In fact they're not really friendly to any adult sports. Ask me about adult soccer leagues some time. In fact, GHORBA came into existance when two bike clubs got together to convince the city to allow mountain bikers on the trails at Memorial Park. Of course mountain bikers built the trails there but that didn't mean much to the City. That's another story of course so I'll stick with the Anthills and bike lanes. The City is not bike friendly and will probably never create true bike lanes in and around Houston. GHORBA cannot contol that or get the City to change no matter how hard they try. Also, most residents of Houston wouldn't want them either. Ask any road biker how friendly Houston drivers are and you'll probably hear alot of curse words.

    Concerning the Anthills and the proposed plan to build retention ponds GHORBA is doing all it can to help out but the people who need to speak the loudest are the residents in the area. It's their voice the City really needs to hear and GHORBA will stand behind them and back them up. Whether you love or hate GHORBA you need to understand that most of the trails in the Houston area would not be here without them. Cypresswood Proper, the Anthills, and Memorial Park were all 'outlaw' trails at one time and even though they are on 'our' public land the land is still governed by the City and they can do whatever they wish with it. GHORBA secured the rights to build and maintain the trails and they keep in close contact with the City and the precincts so that the trails can remain there, hopefully forever.

    Complain all you want about GHORBA not doing enough but in my 5 years as a member I've seen them secure trail rights to Cypresswood, Memorial, and the Anthills plus they've helped build Sugar Land Memorial, Flintridge, plus a new loop at Double Lake. Don't forget they are currently working on the River Bend trail in Sugar Land plus 12 miles of new trail at Huntsville State Park. All of this takes alot of volunteer work to get accomplished. If your'e unhappy with GHORBA become a member and do something with us. That's what I did.

    Mike S.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,804
    What exactly are y’all *****ing about?

    This retention pond is for wilcrest to beltway 8 other than the “bowl” that area has been shut down to bikers since the GOF’s fenced it in off deerwood drive and cut out all the bridges and removed the BOD “bridge of doom” almost a decade ago.

    The anthills hasn’t been the same since the Y2K floods and the addition of paved trail east of dairy ashford, it has ZERO flow and is spider webby.

    You can have all the petitions and all the #occupytheanthills protests you want the city is gonna get what the city wants GHORBA or not.

    That’s reality…

    "whos setting the lack of pace up there?"

    The Anthills Night Ride - YouTube

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    but you need to understand one thing; the City of Houston government isn't bike friendly.
    Please don't paint the CoH with such a broad brush. Long run infrastructure, planning, and cultural changes are tough to implement in the short run. One example of recent city efforts is mandatory bike parking for certain businesses.

    For more information on bike lanes and bike parking, see www.bikehouston.org.

  35. #35
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    Bike lanes would be great and GHORBA would love for our town to have them but you need to understand one thing; the City of Houston government isn't bike friendly. In fact they're not really friendly to any adult sports. Ask me about adult soccer leagues some time. In fact, GHORBA came into existance when two bike clubs got together to convince the city to allow mountain bikers on the trails at Memorial Park. Of course mountain bikers built the trails there but that didn't mean much to the City. That's another story of course so I'll stick with the Anthills and bike lanes. The City is not bike friendly and will probably never create true bike lanes in and around Houston. GHORBA cannot contol that or get the City to change no matter how hard they try. Also, most residents of Houston wouldn't want them either. Ask any road biker how friendly Houston drivers are and you'll probably hear alot of curse words.

    Concerning the Anthills and the proposed plan to build retention ponds GHORBA is doing all it can to help out but the people who need to speak the loudest are the residents in the area. It's their voice the City really needs to hear and GHORBA will stand behind them and back them up. Whether you love or hate GHORBA you need to understand that most of the trails in the Houston area would not be here without them. Cypresswood Proper, the Anthills, and Memorial Park were all 'outlaw' trails at one time and even though they are on 'our' public land the land is still governed by the City and they can do whatever they wish with it. GHORBA secured the rights to build and maintain the trails and they keep in close contact with the City and the precincts so that the trails can remain there, hopefully forever.

    Complain all you want about GHORBA not doing enough but in my 5 years as a member I've seen them secure trail rights to Cypresswood, Memorial, and the Anthills plus they've helped build Sugar Land Memorial, Flintridge, plus a new loop at Double Lake. Don't forget they are currently working on the River Bend trail in Sugar Land plus 12 miles of new trail at Huntsville State Park. All of this takes alot of volunteer work to get accomplished. If your'e unhappy with GHORBA become a member and do something with us. That's what I did.

    Mike S.
    Mike, I never complained about GHORBA not doing enough, but doing too much! My comment about bike lanes should be left up to the roadies and GHORBA should leave that up to them.

    My only complaint with GHORBA was making The Anthills a recognized trail system. What yall do in in Huntsville, out of Houston city limits, increases my concern on what some may perceive as a group going for ruling the cycling society.

  36. #36
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    You mentioned in an earlier post "This would of never been a topic if the Anthills was left as it was before GHORBA making it "Official" and the jumps built what used to be known as the "Bowl"." I don't know what you mean by that. Can you please clarify?

  37. #37
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    My only complaint with GHORBA was making The Anthills a recognized trail system. What yall do in in Huntsville, out of Houston city limits, increases my concern on what some may perceive as a group going for ruling the cycling society.
    So you're afraid of more trail miles and more places to ride?

    It seems to me like GHORBA (or any other club, really) is stepping up to do it because nobody else is stepping up to do it. Many states have consolidated all the mtb clubs into one statewide group with chapters in many cities, and when a maintenance opportunity comes up between cities, members from multiple chapters chip in on it. Are there mtb clubs in Conroe or Livingston that can chip in on projects in Huntsville? Didn't think so.

    You mentioned in an earlier post "This would of never been a topic if the Anthills was left as it was before GHORBA making it "Official" and the jumps built what used to be known as the "Bowl"." I don't know what you mean by that. Can you please clarify?
    I have to agree here. I fail to see any major downsides to legitimizing a trail system and bringing it into "the fold". Getting legal acceptance means fighting less just to keep it open. Getting acceptance makes it easier to maintain the place (and eliminates criminal punishments for getting caught). Getting acceptance might just get you money and additional resources at your disposal. Yeah, sometimes making a trail system official results in changes to bring it up to an accepted "standard". There are some minor annoyances here with fun parts being closed or removed. But IMO this is typically offset by the reduced maintenance load, improved safety, or sometimes even the addition of a different fun feature.

    But with this case, how would keeping the trails bandit trails be better? Without legal recognition for legit recreational facilities, what would be stopping the idea to develop the area as a flood mitigation area?

  38. #38
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Please don't paint the CoH with such a broad brush. Long run infrastructure, planning, and cultural changes are tough to implement in the short run. One example of recent city efforts is mandatory bike parking for certain businesses.

    For more information on bike lanes and bike parking, see www.bikehouston.org.
    Sorry BGillespie but I have to stick with my original statement, the City of Houston doesn't care much for bikers and most certainly they dislike adult sports. When I was on the BOD for HFA I found out how much the City disliked adult soccer. Most anything we asked for was turned down even if we we're willing to pay 100% for it. On the other hand, if a youth soccer organization asked for anything they got it in a flash! And usually completely paid for. I know that biking is not an adult only sport but something like bike lanes is something that adults would seem to use much more than kids so I would assume the City would not be interested in helping with it. Also, most drivers would be completely against it. Drivers in Houston hate road bikers and consider them extra points when run over. Grandma's riding a bike with a child carrier are worth double.

  39. #39
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    How times have changed.

    the anthills - YouTube

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    1st of 4 meetings -- be there or kiss your trails goodbye.

    During the community meetings, a brief presentation will be given on how to access the Charting Buffalo report and how to provide comments. Visitors will be encouraged to listen to the presentation and then tour the exhibit area where maps and information on flooding and community enhancement opportunities will be available. Computers will be available for the public to provide feedback on the draft report at the meeting or the public may provide their written comments.


    A total of four meetings are being scheduled in the Charting Buffalo study area. Identical information will be shared at all four community meetings. See below the details for the first meeting scheduled. Additional community meetings will be scheduled and a separate email will be distributed with dates and times. The most up-to-date information will also be posted at Charting Buffalo | a study by the Harris County Flood Control District.

    Click this link for details:
    https://events.r20.constantcontact.c...e56497c2&oseq=

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    10
    Any news?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    REMINDER: HCFCD Public Meeting TONIGHT


    Wednesday, February 8th at 6 PM

    Tracy Gee Community Center

    3599 Westcenter Drive



    Fellow “Save Our Forest” Supporters:



    Please plan to attend this important meeting. Remember: CROWD SIZE MATTERS!



    If possible please bring your signed written statement to submit to HCFCD for inclusion in the final Charting Buffalo report and bring an extra copy to give to a “Save Our Forest” coordinator who will be wearing a “Save Our Forest” hat.



    We will be handing out “Save Our Forest” stickers at the door. Please be sure to get one and put on your shirt/blouse to identify your support for our cause; a large percentage of the public wearing the stickers will demonstrate the high level of commitment for our cause. If you have a “Save Our Forest” T-shirt or hat, please wear them.



    Important: We give credit to HCFCD for inviting public input. They have indicated that they will listen and be influenced by public comment. In an attempt to involve the public, the HCFCD also included various interested groups from the community in their study process. Unfortunately, HCFCD failed to any group representing the south side of Buffalo Bayou. Feel free to express your opinions at the meeting but please do so in a polite and respectful way.



    Parking behind Tracy Gee is expected to fill up fast. You can also park along Westcenter Drive. In anticipation of a strong turnout, we have also secured permission to use the surface parking spaces around the two building on Richmond Ave. just north of Tracy Gee. The addresses of those buildings are 10255 Richmond at Westcenter (identified as A on the attached map) which is accessible from both Westcenter and Richmond and 10111 Richmond (See B on map) which is just east of the 10255 building on Richmond and is accessible only from Richmond. Park ONLY in the uncovered parking spaces in those lots. Additional parking is being provided by First United Methodist Church, Westchase. Drive south on Westcenter past Tracy Gee and you will see church parking on the right around their Quillian Center, their Wesley Academy and their main church building (See C on map). They also have a small amount of parking across the street from the Wesley Academy on Westcenter at 3663-3673 Westcenter (See D on map).



    Thank you for your support for the Forest. We look forward to seeing you there.





    George Crosby Michael Huffmaster Arnie Azios Landrum Wise

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rl.robertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    31
    Any updates on the situation?

  44. #44
    adrenalin fiend
    Reputation: Mr.Crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35

    Hoping that no news is good news

    I have been following this thread for a little over a month now and was hoping to get an update. Me and some friends are planning on taking a trip to Houston and are hoping to hit some great trails. Any information on other trails would be greatly appreciated. We will be staying around the Katy area.

  45. #45
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Mr.Crowe you can check out Houston trail condition and locations at GHORBA. If you plan to ride anything in or around Austin go to BiKe MoJo SpeaK for trail info.

    No updates regarding the Anthills other than a new bridge was installed last weekend. The authorities have been very silent since the recent meeting and we are wondering if they're planning on doing what they want to do but quietly and under the radar or if they are re-thinking the situation. There's really no telling.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    CIP MEETING UPDATE

    As a reminder, please plan to attend the City’s important CIP meeting MONDAY evening:

    When: Monday, March 19th at 6:30 p.m.
    Where: Paul Revere Middle School Auditorium (Capacity 800)
    10502 Briar Forest Drive (it's like 5 mins away from the Anthills)

    WHAT TO EXPECT?

    Unlike the HCFCD’s Charting Buffalo meeting on February 8th which focused solely on flood mitigation, this City meeting will cover a wide range of City of Houston Capital Improvement Plan ("CIP") projects, not just the M-261 CIP which specifically deals with excavating Buffalo Bayou detention basins. Expect people to be addressing a variety of CIP projects, including street repair, street flooding, pot holes, etc. Our Briar Forest Super Neighborhood leadership in particular will be addressing at least four CIPs, including M-261 which threatens our forest. However, there will be several other Super Neighborhoods represented from District G, each with their own special concerns.

  47. #47
    Happy Camper
    Reputation: EllemEnnoP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    save 'em save 'em....build a retention pond elsewhere?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Logical minds would think so---but you're dealing with govt here.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    CHeck out story on Anthills fight tonight at 9 pm on ch. 39 (5 on Uverse)

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    CHeck out story on Anthills fight tonight at 9 pm on ch. 39 (5 on Uverse)

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    CHeck out story on Anthills fight tonight at 9 pm on ch. 39 (5 on Uverse)

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    CHeck out story on Anthills fight tonight at 9 pm on ch. 39 (5 on Uverse)

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695

  55. #55
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Great job Bill !!

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14
    Nice ride today trail was nice

  57. #57
    adrenalin fiend
    Reputation: Mr.Crowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35
    So has there been anymore news concerning the anthills? We made a trip out there and ended up riding crystal beach and galveston but didn't get a chance to make it to the anthills. Planning another trip out that way around middle of may so any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Carpe Diem because you would be cooler if you did.

  58. #58
    Novice Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    36
    I've been riding the anthills recently and just found out today that they were in danger. I've seen the save the trees signs but had no idea what they were for. I originally started riding there back in 09.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Crowe View Post
    So has there been anymore news concerning the anthills? We made a trip out there and ended up riding crystal beach and galveston but didn't get a chance to make it to the anthills. Planning another trip out that way around middle of may so any info would be greatly appreciated.
    It has been relatively quiet of late since the Charting Buffalo study was pulled. Bits of press. There have been discussions with the powers that be and we (GHORBA and SN18) have been encouraging people to continue writing. has quite a bit of info. I post info on ghorba.org as well. There has been a great deal of work put in by trail steward Eric D and some dedicated volunteers. We want to keep improving this asset. Bill

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrclortho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116
    Welp, all these years later from the start of this post and the Anthills are the best they have been (in my opinion) since I started riding the trail in 2001.

    Unfortunately, the politicians decided someone's brother and law's construction company needed to get paid, so they are moving forward with construction on the Anthills. They are adding some type of flood mitigation that will be as effective as using a teaspoon to empty a swimming pool if we get another Harvey like flood.

    It isn't 100% clear how much of the trail will be closed and how long, or how much will be destroyed, but construction starts early April 2019. The MTB community is trying to work with the city to keep things as smooth as possible, and the city folks seem to be responding in as positive of a way as they can.

    At any rate, if you want to ride the Anthills, do it now.
    Last edited by mrclortho; 04-01-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaleinTexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    246
    ..edit
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    41
    I was reading trough this thread and JUST now realized most of the discussion was from 2012... Looks like GHORBA couldn't pull it off... This retention pond is THE most idiotic idea. It's the result of corrupt politicians trying to make themselves look good by implementing a project that will ultimately have ZERO effect if we ever get another Tax Day or Harvey magnitude flood.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrclortho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    116
    Welp, I don't know about the Anthills themselves as of yesterday, but they closed the bayou trail in Katy that connects to Buffalo Bayou (the bayou the Anthills follows). This sign said until late September. That cuts access from Katy to George Bush park via the trail system entirely...sigh.

    I rode around the other side of the bayou looking for an alternative but there was a side ditch that was too deep to cross. I will give it another go next ride.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl3 View Post
    It's the result of corrupt politicians trying to make themselves look good by implementing a project that will ultimately have ZERO effect if we ever get another Tax Day or Harvey magnitude flood.
    I do agree with you although, during the next flooding people will turn to them and they will say "we did what we could".

    Anyway, had been there yesterday, folks seem to be going in and out of the cordoned (with a sign) section as usual. Since I want to keep my american visa, I'm not going.

Similar Threads

  1. Anthills in Houston worth riding?
    By MadDuc916 in forum Texas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
  2. Houston, Anthills on the single speed.
    By marzjennings in forum Texas
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
  3. Anthills Houston
    By txyz in forum Texas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
  4. Houston, Anthills group ride, 8-30-08
    By Gary H in forum Texas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 07:41 AM
  5. The Anthills-Houston, TX
    By lonnie_20 in forum Texas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.