In San Antonio for work, need a bike and trails.- Mtbr.com
    Fat Skis/Fat Tires

In San Antonio for work, need a bike and trails.

Greetings Texans! So my job is sending me on my first trip to Texas from 19-28 Aug, and I need shop recommendations for a rental. I'd like to mix it up between road and mountain, so where are the shops I should be looking at? Thanks in advance for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Ride Away Bicycles

Ride Away Bicycles: three locations, friendly staff, they carry Specialized, Giant, and Santa Cruz. They have daily rentals that seem reasonable.

Check out McAllister Park and Saldo Creek.

Rohloff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsellers
    Ride Away Bicycles: three locations, friendly staff, they carry Specialized, Giant, and Santa Cruz. They have daily rentals that seem reasonable.

+1 for Ride Away.

Might want to also check out Government Canyon on the weekend for some mountain riding.

Also, the guys at Sage Cycles have some group rides going on and they're super nice. They might also rent bikes, but I'm not really sure.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsellers

These guys sound like my best bet, $50 a day for mountain or road bikes.

What part of town is in closest proximity to the good trails? I'll be in the northeast part of town during the day, but I can stay wherever.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Ok, so Government Canyon is a must visit I take it. I'll be here over the weekend too, are the Austin trails worth driving up for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador
    Ok, so Government Canyon is a must visit I take it. I'll be here over the weekend too, are the Austin trails worth driving up for?

Government Canyon is great because they have something for just about everyone. Front country is great for beginners and the back country runs the gambit of terrain. Never ridden in Austin, but by all accounts it's a great place to ride, and well worth the hour or so it takes to get there from SA. If you don't want to go quite so far, there's Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort - which is a straight shot up IH 10 from SA, and the riding there is really freakin' awesome...providing you like to climb.

mountainbiketx.com and austinbike.com are both pretty comprehensive when it comes to listing trails in the area. Enjoy your time here.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    We are 5 minutes from Government Canyon and OP Schnabel Park at Sage Cycles. We do a Sat morning group ride to Government Canyon that has something for everyone. The advanced ride is 35+ miles, intermediate is 25+ miles. we ride from the shop to the canyon. We have ride preems for the first rider back to the fire station so the ride always ends with a sprint, and free recovery drinks after the ride at the shop. www.sagecycles.com
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador
    Flat Rock Ranch and Madrone are just outside of San Antonio and worth the drive. Other trails closer to Austin I like are Pedernales (horse trails), Reimers Ranch, Rocky Hill Ranch, and Muleshoe.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    We are 5 minutes from Government Canyon and OP Schnabel Park at Sage Cycles. We do a Sat morning group ride to Government Canyon that has something for everyone. The advanced ride is 35+ miles, intermediate is 25+ miles. we ride from the shop to the canyon. We have ride preems for the first rider back to the fire station so the ride always ends with a sprint, and free recovery drinks after the ride at the shop. www.sagecycles.com
    That sounds perfect, I'll see you guys on the 22nd...what time does the advanced ride take off, and do you demo bikes there?

mtbr member
    Currently, we have a Pivot 429 Demo bike that may or may not be available. Also some lower end mountain bike rentals. What bike do you normally ride?

The advanced ride meets at 8:15, with wheels down at 8:30am. There are 2 water stops, so camelbaks are not neccesary unless you prefer. The ride includes a road warm up, then some fast smooth singletrack, then on to some rocky ledgey climbing, fast rocky downhill with drops, smooth singletrack and a road sprint back to the shop.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    Currently, we have a Pivot 429 Demo bike that may or may not be available. Also some lower end mountain bike rentals. What bike do you normally ride?

The advanced ride meets at 8:15, with wheels down at 8:30am. There are 2 water stops, so camelbaks are not neccesary unless you prefer. The ride includes a road warm up, then some fast smooth singletrack, then on to some rocky ledgey climbing, fast rocky downhill with drops, smooth singletrack and a road sprint back to the shop.
    Sweet, the ride sounds great. I'm actually looking forward to the trip now, not the 100 degree temps so much, but what are you going to do?

I'd actually love to take out the 429 if it's available, as long as it's 19" or bigger. I ride a 21" Enduro SL.

Members who have read this thread: 0