San antonio, tx mtbing ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

San antonio, tx mtbing ?

Anywhere there or near offroad cycling ?
    thanks

amar la vida de dos niner
    I'd post up in the Texas forum. There's lots of helpful folks there who can answer your questions.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Dec 2007
    What Scorpionwoman said. Also check out bikemojo. com

Mikey

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Getting ready for Govt Canyon as we speak...
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    Where are you going to be in San Antonio? Government Canyon is good, but only open Friday-Monday. Some good stuff a little to the west in Hill Country State Natural Area, but you'll want a tour guide and you'll have to hit it before it gets too hot. OP Schnable is good and close to town, Mac is off road and ok for in town riding, but if that's your only choice bring some running shoes instead. If you can make it north Canyon Lake is short, but will give you a great work out. Worth the drive. Obviously Austin has some great stuff in and around town. Visit this site for a tour guide, more questions

mtbr member
    What kind of trail are you looking for? Or, more to the point, what's your skill level? San Antonio has its fair share of trails, from McAllister Park to Mud Creek, to others that have already been mentioned. Like fat bob said, there is also even more to choose from if you are up for stepping not too far outside of SA.

Also, you can check out MountainBikeTx.com's GoogleMap to see where all of these are located.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Salado Creek in SA is a newer linear trail that's really fun. there's also tons of trails in McCallistair Park and OP Schanable Park. i am kind of new to the scene so those are the only places i have ridden. Salado is my favorite so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will be heading to SA pretty soon to stay with my bro and ride OP schnable.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    We're building trails in San Marcos if your interested.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    We're building trails in San Marcos if your interested.
    How's that going, btw?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    www.flatrockranch.net
    26+ miles of some of the best singletrack in Texas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

San Marvelous trails!!??

Are talking about total trails or continuous trail riding without having to jump the fences or head down the road off RR12 to get a total of 26 miles? I average about 8 the other day but I only stayed of the back side going through the creek beds and that one gnarly a** section where that rocky creek bottom is. SM trails are bad a** if you live in this area, I'll be ripping it tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that FRR is separated into a couple different loops (Upper ~10 miles, Lower ~15 miles) for a total of ~25 miles.
    Pedigre

canuck
    I saw a trail here once

but i realized soon after it was a sidewalk

Jan 2009
    I would be really interested in more info on the trails in the San Marcos area. Would love to help build also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee1785
    I would be really interested in more info on the trails in the San Marcos area. Would love to help build also.

What type of info?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Stick to Purgatory park off franklin st. and follow the dirt road till it ends then you will reach the trail head. Stay away from Prospect park down by Wonder World cavern until they finish the road construction its not worth jumping over barbwire fences to reach the other trails. Purgatory is not g/f friendly nor is it fat boy friendly. More trails the better just get a group of friends and add on to one of the sections. I think the trail should be longer were you ride along the cliff side before you start descending towards the creek coming from the Prospect side. I don't think anybody would hassle you when making more trails just use common sense when building them.

Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cndoane
    Purgatory is not g/f friendly nor is it fat boy friendly.

I really wish you wouldn't determine which trails are safe for girlfriends and which are not. I have rode Purgatory and Prospect Park and I did just fine. I actually had a lot of fun. Let the girlfriends decide for themselves which are beyond their skill level and which are not.

Members who have read this thread: 0