Which San Antonio trail should we ride??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Which San Antonio trail should we ride??

My fiance and I are getting out Saturday morning to do a ride.. we are wanting to do a new trail. I have seen alot about the trails within SA and was wondering which one we should do. We are looking for about a 10 mile ride.

She is kind of a beginner but we have done Reimers, Madrone, Pace Bend, and Purgatory so she can handle some rocks!

So which would you guys vote for? McAllister Park, O.P. Schnabel, Salado Creek, or other??? Should I skip these and just go to Govt Canyon??

Begin.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    The front country of Gov't Canyon is pretty short. I'd hit OP and then do some riding into Leon Creek. You will get about 5-6 miles out of OP and then you could make up the difference on the Leon Creek trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Depends on what type of ride you are looking for:

If you are looking for a cardio fest I would hit MAC, tons of flowing fast single track.

If you are looking for a great ride with some cardio and some slower technical spots I suggest OP/Leon Creek as already noted, but I would do Salado creek. The trail is in great shape and there is some really sweet single track between Blattman Elementary and Huebner Road. The single track is closer to the elmentary school near 1604. Great scenery out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We have been doing some pretty technical stuff with TONS of rocks the last few weeks so I am thinking about taking a break from that for a week and doing something more smooth.

Is Mac alot of uphill??

I am looking for something super flowy with alot of hard pack...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Biker View Post
    We have been doing some pretty technical stuff with TONS of rocks the last few weeks so I am thinking about taking a break from that for a week and doing something more smooth.

Is Mac alot of uphill??

I am looking for something super flowy with alot of hard pack...
    there aren't any technical climbs or challenging hills at mac. Its almost all fast flowing trail. There are some cool down hill jumps and stuff also.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I need to get out and do some of the Mac stuff. I can't get out early until next week. Hope the rain doesn't come back by then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i would like it if someone that knows salado creek well could host a good ride out there. All I know is the blue trail at mac, never done more than ten miles there. Anyone want to host such a ride that knows the area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can get many miles out of MAC. If you take the trail past 1000 oaks, hop onto Jones Maltsberger for about 1/4 mile going north you can hit mud creek park also for another 6+ miles or so. Head back to the "blue trail" at MAC, incorporate the red trail with your ride, and hit some of the other off shoots, you can get 20+ miles easy. It is all fast.

I'm still learning Salado as well, but I keep finding new single track everywhere. I still need to explore north of 1604 as I hear it is more technical and many more trails out that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0