San Antonio Trail Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    2006 Yeti AS-X

San Antonio Trail Recommendations

Hello everyone,

My daughter and her husband became Texans a few weeks ago down in San Antonio and I plan to be there Jul 7 for about 4 or 5 days to visit. Bringing the bike along and would like to sample some of San Antonio's finest singletrack.

I am an intermediate rider - Mostly love fast and flowy - a wee bit technical tossed in.

What would be good trails to hit up that are in that category?

Thanks!

Lawson
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There are several trails in the area. The San Antonio Wheelmen and the San Antonio Cycling Club may be of help. Also the South Texas Off Road Mountain club is in the area too.
    San Antonio Wheelmen
    Welcome
    STORM
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    McAllister Park is fast and flowy - not really anything technical. About an hours worth of dirt for me.

OP Schnabel - it been a while but as I recall it had some sections that were a wee bit technical. I was able to connect to Leon Creek riding very little paved trail to add on some miles.

mtbr member
    I know my daughter rides at McAllister as well but her favorite area is Flat Rock Ranch. It's a private ranch and is only open at certain times but may be worth checking out. I have friends from Dallas that come down to ride it as well so it must be decent if they drive 4+ hours to get there. I know it's getting hot out there already so be prepared.

Check the local trails on MTB Project dot com which also has a free app you can download
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Yeah I second flat Rock ranch if you'll be in the San Antonio area. Since you'll be riding in July though you're going to need to hit it EARLY or in the evening. There's not much cover out there. It's flowy goodness though. Bring more than plenty of water too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it's hot in SA now so you want to keep moving to stay cool. I'm constantly a few MPHs faster at MacAllister than any other trail here because it's flat and smooth and somewhat shaded. Flat Rock Ranch is my favorite place to ride though. It's further out and maybe higher up so it's consistently cooler there in the mornings than in SA proper. If you get out there at 6.30 and ride the Cat 2 loop, which cuts out the bigger climbs, it will be 10x as fun as MacAllister.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Thanks for the info, I will check them out.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I rode both Flat Rock Ranch and McAllister Park, enjoyed central Texas mountain biking a lot.

Here is the video I made from Flat Rock Ranch.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Another question. How are the trails in San Antonio and Flat Rock Ranch after rain? Is it muddy and unridable for a day or two?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The local townsfolk will burn you at the stake if you ride any of the city park trails if they are even a bit damp. The Government Canyon State Natural Area has an official open/close status and i have found that they open the trails before they are all the way dry ...probably because the trails are mostly rock or rock over rock and only the hardcore will ride out there after a rain.

Flat Rock is best after rain for several reasons. Often, it will be dry even if S.A. got rain, private property so they decide when it's dry enough and not the villagers, hilly and windy so it dries out quick. They even post a time when they think it will be dry. Get the annual pass, btw, so they can keep adding flow trails in addition to the best single track in TX.

mtbr member
    The San Antonio and Austin areas have plenty of great places to ride, Flat Rock is a hoot to ride and makes for a fun morning.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Another question. How are the trails in San Antonio and Flat Rock Ranch after rain? Is it muddy and unridable for a day or two?

you might also look at madrone trail at canyon lake it seems to dry pretty fast and is my next day or two ride after a rain. Also if you don't mind a short drive look at pace bend or muleshoe bend parks as they both tend to dry faster than san Antonio.

Hitching a ride
    Flat rock drains fast but most important their facebook page will have the info on open/closed.

Schnabel drains slow, better wait 5 days before venturing. Leaf cover keeps the trails moist and dips into drainage areas will break up the ride.

MacAllister is basically rideable on a cyclocross bike. Literally sanitized into oblivion. Same thing is happening on other trails.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I rode McAllister on Thurs and Sat, east side was good but west side was way too muddy - saw a few riders rode it anyways but I turned around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can find a bunch of San Antonio trails on my site.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Stupid rain......

And I am off the next three days.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Try out Hill Country SNA outside of Bandera about a hour drive from San Antonio. 37 miles of trails suitable for all skill levels.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Rain has been a killer here in San Antonio...rode yesterday but had to turn around or hit the pavement to go around deep/flowing water sections.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Yeah rain has been a real pain now for a bit. Been having to go to canyon lake, San Marcos, and flat rock to get my daily rides in but hate the drives on a regular basis.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone meeting up tomorrow anywhere for a ride? I want to hit up OP or McAllister..lmk..I'm down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My wife and are coming to San Antonio for a vacation in March. Is there a place that will rent mt bikes. I saw that there is flat rock ranch not far from the downtown.

mtbr member
    Ride away bicycles rents bikes, and flat rock is about a 45 minute drive from San Antonio

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Is flat rock ranch the best place to go within an hour of downtown san antonio? I also saw on trail forks a place called hill country state nature area.

mtbr member
    Flat rock is a lot of fun, north of San Antonio at canyon lake is madrone trail which is free and a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    Is flat rock ranch the best place to go within an hour of downtown san antonio? I also saw on trail forks a place called hill country state nature area.
    Flat Rock ranch is my favorite trail and also visitor friendly.

Most of San Antonio's other trails have routes going every which way and intersection so often it's might be confusing without a guide. Government Canyon.State Natural area is closer than FRR but significantly rockier. It's my second favorite local trail but did I mention it's rocky? Also, a good bit of the trails were temporarily closed off because of rain damage so call them first. Worth checking out though.

FRR is basically a 28 mile hilly loop with a couple of ways to cut it short if you need to. There is both an Enduro race and a marathon XC race this month so that should give you some idea of the variety. It's well marked and pretty tough to get lost. Also has great flow and enough technical to keep it interest. Most of the Enduro lines can be added to the big loop too. Almost always people hanging around who can send you off in the right direction. I've had an annual pass for years and years. Day passes are like $7 cash, but maybe more now.

Hitching a ride
    FRR also drains fast and they post the trail status on the Facebook page. It's $10/day for riding only.