San Antonio / Government Canyon riders?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

San Antonio / Government Canyon riders?

I live in San Antonio and prefer to ride Government Canyon as often as possible. Any groups or individuals out there that regularly ride GC?

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka
    I live in San Antonio and prefer to ride Government Canyon as often as possible. Any groups or individuals out there that regularly ride GC?
    yea, but not on a regular (scheduled) basis.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member

government cheese

Like aLaN said, not regular, but enjoy riding there. Wanna ride this weekend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You may need a Scott Pack to breathe up there this weekend. The smoke from that damned fire in Helotes is making us all wheeze along 1604. If I go out this weekend it'll probably have to be to McAllister.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would definitely be up for riding GC this weekend, although it looks like it is going to rain tomorrow (Saturday) and only be around 50 degrees. Sunday looks better, but depending on the amount of rain we get, local parks may be total mud. Send me a PM if the weather looks okay and you feel like riding!

mtbr member

rides

E,

Cold doesn't bother me, I can deal with wet, however you're right in that the park folks will prolly have the joint locked down. There was talk of an OP ride today @ noon and a secret trail ride Sunday at noon.

mtbr member

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    E,

Cold doesn't bother me, I can deal with wet, however you're right in that the park folks will prolly have the joint locked down. There was talk of an OP ride today @ noon and a secret trail ride Sunday at noon.
    Looks like I'm not going to ride today, there's a "Friends of Mac" meeting at the 3rd (i believe) pavillion to discuss the impending doom at the park. I don't ride Mac often, but hate the thought of more clear cutting in SA when there is plenty of area that lacks trees already. Plus I hate little league, not because I don't like kids, but the majority of the parents of LL kids are douche bag losers who never stood a chance at any sport and have decided to force their kids to play like their lives depend on winning. Wrong message IMO, take your kids for a ride instead. Show them bugs and wild life, but that's me.

If you can make it and want to support trails in SA, come on out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bob,
    What's the word on changes at Mac? I saw on the STORM site that they had made a presentation on moving the projected location for more ball fields to a part of the park that will not impact the trails and that their proposal had been adopted. Is this not the case?
    Lemme know so I can get involved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Never mind, I just saw it all on mojo. Sorry I cannot make it Wednesday as I have to work, otherwise the kid and I would attend. Oh, and I emailed the Mayor and City Council about this.
    Last edited by TangerineDream; 01-06-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream
    Bob,
    What's the word on changes at Mac? I saw on the STORM site that they had made a presentation on moving the projected location for more ball fields to a part of the park that will not impact the trails and that their proposal had been adopted. Is this not the case?
    The Little League was allowed to expand its lease, and thereby 'relocate' two baseball fields. Any trail on these lands is lost.

At issue here is the subject of the leasing of public lands to special interest groups. Who are (in this case) using public (bond) monies to develop these ball diamonds, that the public will not be able to use. While these entities lease these public lands they are not open to the public. Currently about 25% of Mac is leased to special interest groups, from Ancira Park, to Little League to the Soccer Fields....

Lemme know so I can get involved.
    Contacting the Mayor (who signed off on the lease) and city council is a good start. I believed an organized email campaign is getting set up.... stay posted.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bob-

I didn't get your message regarding Mac until just now, so sorry I couldn't make it. How did the meeting go? (I tried to PM you, but your box was full)

I have some errands to run and then I am going to try to hit GC starting at 1:30 or 2pm today for a ~2hr ride. Anyone interested in going? Anyone know if GC is open after the rain? I will give GC a call before heading out there, just in case....

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka
    Bob-

I didn't get your message regarding Mac until just now, so sorry I couldn't make it. How did the meeting go? (I tried to PM you, but your box was full)
    Bob didn't make the meeting. I posted some updates on Mojo.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    The meeting Saturday was a Friends of Mac Spearhead meeting to find out the details, and what all we can do, like aLaN said, I couldn't make it in time, but rest assured I will be at the meeting on Wednesday.

Sorry I missed you Sunday for the GC ride. Ended up riding some new stuff which was cool, but not very interesting for anyone new or who doesn't mind doing trail maint. while riding. Hopefully this weekend will provide better weather and a chance to visit a new place. Post up if you have any ride suggestions for the weekend here or on the mojo.

cheers,

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That sounds like fun and the trail looks nice - where is that?

I rode GC yesterday. Went up Sendero from the backcountry parking lot and continued until it reached Joe Johnston. I think that it technically changes names somewhere before JJ. After you reach the bottom and ride along the rock/creek bed for a minute, there is that steep climb. The initial part I can handle, but the part with a rock outcropping at the top always beats me. It's the section that, coming from the other direction (from JJ), has a wooden sign that says "Walk your bike". I'll get it though... that's what riding is all about, right?

I need to explore more of the park though - I have climbed far reaches, but never descended it, and from what I hear, that's a blast.

Dunno what my plans are this weekend, but I will definitely be looking to ride. Maybe Saturday morning?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I got an email from Councilman Wolff's office today. It essentially outlines the chronology of events leading to the "voter approved" improvements currently under construction at McAllister Park. It makes it all sound above-board. If anyone is interested I can post it here. I don't know if it can serve as ammo for the battle or not. I'll repeat this post on mojo too.

mtbr member

rides & such

E,

Good stuff, I find when I ride, esp. @ GC I go a little slower & things beat me up a little more, when I ride with others I push myself a little harder. I'll post up any rides for the weekend, Sat AM works for me.

TD,

Saw the mail they sent you, same thing they sent to everyone ...typical sounding stuff. We'll see what happens after the meeting Wednesday. I'll post any hot points, thanks for stepping up. Come ride if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bob,
    I've got a little 2 month old at home, which is keeping me pretty close to home right now, but when I can get a chance I'll come ride with y'all.....as long as you hardcore fellas don't make too much fun of me on my hybrid. I promise I'll take the Scooby Doo bell off before I show up.

mtbr member

Scooby Bell.....

Bob,
    I've got a little 2 month old at home, which is keeping me pretty close to home right now, but when I can get a chance I'll come ride with y'all.....as long as you hardcore fellas don't make too much fun of me on my hybrid. I promise I'll take the Scooby Doo bell off before I show up.
    Cool, now I'm just jealous.

No problem-0 on the kidd-0. I've got a 20 month old, so I understand the limitations. You should check out the ride on Thurs. night from Bikeworld, very hybrid friendly. I'm the furthest thing from "hard core" you'll meet.

I understand the meeting went reasonably well. They're not going to stop the process, so that sucks, but they are aware of a multi-user park, being funded by public $ and the negative response they are getting from said user groups. If it keeps them from doing these "backdoor" deals moving forward the message was heard, but politics and polititians being what they are, I doubt this is the last time we'll have to fight or make our voice heard. The good/interesting thing about this area is that the bikers, hikers and runners were in in concert. I'm not used to that... typically it's one or several user groups *****!ng at the MTB community.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bob,
    On the political side it is my most sincere hope that, with the amount of noise that diverse groups of trail users made over getting jacked at Mac, the local politico's will recognize that there is a lot of interest in having a good network of trails locally. Hopefully this will serve as a reminder that people really do want to see our green belts along the various creek beds become a reality. Maybe this will prevent apathy in getting the land acquired and the trails developed in those creek beds. Though we have lost some trail it is possible that we can reap great rewards from this sacrifice.
    Now on the fun side.....I finally picked up a bike (my hybrid) that I can ride trails on after losing my last MTB in the divorce (lol). I went and explored Leon Creek between Bamberger Park and OP Schnabel and I was really happy to see someone had marked the trail with orange marking tape (whoever did this may a thousand blessings from Allah be upon you). I am really looking forward to logging some trail-time in the future. What is the story with the Thursday ride from BikeWorld? Is it offroad, on, or mixed? If it isn't too hard it might be a good one for Mama and I to do on a night we can get a sitter. Are there any other rides you can recommend?

Thanks for connecting with me and sharing your insights.

mtbr member

Tapatio Springs

If you like tight technical Texas singletrack, you should check out Tapatio Springs. Tapatio Springs looks more like some trail that you would expect to see in the northeast, like Pisah or Dupont in NC. It is steep, rocky, rooty, ledgey and sweet. The trail is currently being worked almost daily to get it ready for the upcoming race; so if you havent been out there lately, you are in for a surprise. There are some new sections that have not been connected yet, so it is best to hook up with someone that knows the trail to get the maximum fun factor. The downhill switchbacks have been cleaned up a lot and now flow better than ever, and there is a new downhill section that has a major pucker factor, but is totally rideable. The climbs are tough and some are long, but that is why you have that little ringy thingie on the front crankset (unless you are SS of course). Sage Cycles and Team Ortho have adopted this trail system, so that it doesnt fade away. There will be more improvements in the near future. Get out here and ride it, and let me know what you think. If you want a tour, so you can see the new sections, let me know.

[email protected]
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Members who have read this thread: 0