San Angelo State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

San Angelo State Park

Well after about ten years off, I am going to try to get back on a bike. I was wondering if SASP is too difficult for an out of practice, trying to get back into shape big guy. I am going to start with a few miles a day on dirt roads and work my way up. Just want a goal for about a month out. This is a great forum, thanks in advance if yall can help me out.

mtbr member
    I haven't made my way out there yet, but from what I have seen and heard, I think you will be fine out there. Check out the quick write up and over 25 photos on our SASP trail listing.

Oh, and welcome back!
    Pedigre

half-fast rider
    I'm in San Angelo, and the State Park has lots of variety with plenty of stuff to ease your way back into riding.

The terrain is predominantly flat and there are plenty of old park roads there to help get your wheels back under you. Once you're feeling comfortable there are trails to suit any rider, although not a ton of super advanced-wicked technical stuff.

Are you in San Angelo? We ride fairly often, different groups, different paces.
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

half-fast rider
    Hey Pedigre, I hadn't looked at your write up on SASP, looks good. That's actually me in some of the pics from WBC. We had a great ride that day showing the folks from Waco the trails.

mtbr member
    Ah, you were the tour guide, eh? Sweet, now you are famous!!
    Pedigre

half-fast rider
    Tour guide and horny toad wrangler, that's me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the help guys. I actually live a little north of Big Spring. San Angelo is only about 1.5 hours. I have stayed at the SP before, but never road the trails. I'd love to meet up and ride with yall whenever I get in a little better shape. I have set a little goal for myself. I really want a new bike, so gotta use up the old one. Dang I forgot how springy the old full suspensions were. Its an old Giant. I had a hardtail that was stolen then I went SS road bike. Now I am saving for an SS 29er. So I guess we'll see. I appreciate the invite. I hope to take you up on it in a month or so.

half-fast rider
    Anytime, we're usually riding some both weekend days. As it cools off, (if it cools off), we'll probably try to set up some regular times on the weekends for riding. Just give a shout when you're ready to come on out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb
    Anytime, we're usually riding some both weekend days. As it cools off, (if it cools off), we'll probably try to set up some regular times on the weekends for riding. Just give a shout when you're ready to come on out.
    so my wife and I are coming through on our way to Midland from Austin and would like to hit SASP to break up the trip. Any group rides or good advice for a couple three hours on the trail? We'll be back through on Wednesday as well so we might try and catch another ride.

The biggest confusion for me is how to get to the trail head from SA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpjuice
    If you have a GPS for your vehicle, this might help.

If not, you can get directions off of the trail listing, linked in the previous post above. It will take you pretty much right to it; or there is always the option of when you get to SASP, check with the HQ to get a map and pay.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    so it sounds like for my time, I should enter the south side, like the Burkett trail head?

half-fast rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpjuice
    so my wife and I are coming through on our way to Midland from Austin and would like to hit SASP to break up the trip. Any group rides or good advice for a couple three hours on the trail? We'll be back through on Wednesday as well so we might try and catch another ride.

When will be through town?

For a few hours riding, I would to into the park at the South Shore then park at Burkett Trailhead, there are a couple of places you could loop back depending on how much you wanted to ride. If you rode everything north of Burkett and back you'd have about 18 or so miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb
    When will be through town?

For a few hours riding, I would to into the park at the South Shore then park at Burkett Trailhead, there are a couple of places you could loop back depending on how much you wanted to ride. If you rode everything north of Burkett and back you'd have about 18 or so miles.
    I'm hoping to leave by 8 or 9am on Sunday morning so that should put me in SA about 12 or 1pm.

half-fast rider
    This weekend is a little tough. Several folks headed to race the Bent Wheel Bash in Abilene on Sunday. I have some family in town for my Mom's 70th Birthday, I think most folks will be hitting the road by noonish on Sunday so an afternoon ride might work, but will have to play it by ear, if you're looking for someone to show you around.

If you're running tubeless, good to make sure your sealant is fresh, we've got lots of mesquite, prickly pear, and several other pointy species.

half-fast rider
    Hey Pimpjuice, Ill post this here and Mojo, but another rider just called a group ride for 2 pm Sunday at Burkett Trailhead. Not sure how that fits with your time line, but should be some folks out for a ride. I'm still iffy for Sunday with family issues, but am hoping to shake free by then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is there any place to rent bikes in San Angelo? I'm a native now living in California, but I'm in SA usually twice a year to visit family.

When I lived there, I hadn't discovered mountain biking and there was no SASP, so it would be cool to experience it. thanks!

half-fast rider
    Concho Bike is a specialized dealer and sometimes has demo bikes. You could try them next time you're in town. area code three two five 655-7373

Members who have read this thread: 0