Rookie in San Antonio- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Rookie in San Antonio

Hello everyone. I am new to the mountian biking scene. When I say new I mean NEW. I have not purchased a bike yet. I thought I would ask for some expert advice from the members as to which bike to buy for a first time rider. I do not want an extremely expensive top of the line bike that will be too difficult for a rookie to ride or a cheap bike that will be more work than enjoyment. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Joe

mtbr member
    I would recommend going to near by bike shop and speaking to them to fit you with your first bike getting the right size is the most important thing. Ride Away bikes is one i recommend and if you buy you bike from them they will always give you a future discount on acessories help with adjustments and repairs. Check out OP schanabel park on bandera is a good place to meet with other riders and explore different trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not real sure what part of town you are in, but there are a few bike shops you could try. I just bought a Marin Bobcat Trail from Cycle Logic. I highly recommend them, they have great customer service and have a nice selection. They are on Wetmore Rd. you will find a few reviews for them on here. Let me know if you need any more information on them...Jason

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are on the NW side of town I highly recommend you check out Sage Cycles in Helotes. They have entry level bikes in both hard tail and full suspension. The staff there all ride OP Schnabel and Government Canyon on a regular basis. The store does a beginner group ride at Government Canyon on saturday morning at 9 am, all levels are invited. The ride is about 6 miles and offers a variety of terrain for the beginner. Drop by the shop and talk to Rick or Aaron, they can get you fixed up.

Jun 2008

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I live on the north central part of town(Stone Oak). I do not mind driving a ways to find the right people to get me going the right way. I will check out the places that were mentioned and see which one is best for me. Thanks again!

Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly86
    I would recommend going to near by bike shop and speaking to them to fit you with your first bike getting the right size is the most important thing. Ride Away bikes is one i recommend and if you buy you bike from them they will always give you a future discount on acessories help with adjustments and repairs. Check out OP schanabel park on bandera is a good place to meet with other riders and explore different trails.
    I agree. I bought my Specialized from Rideaway. Real friendly and helpful. Plus I get 10% off of accessories for a year. It'll at least save me tax charge.

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinsa
    Thanks for your replies. I live on the north central part of town(Stone Oak). I do not mind driving a ways to find the right people to get me going the right way. I will check out the places that were mentioned and see which one is best for me. Thanks again!
    Joe:

I live in Stone Oak also, and I just bought a new bike from Bicycle Heaven at the Huebner - Stone Oak intersection. I checked the other shops in the area and eventually settled on Bicycle Heaven because I liked the Cannondale F5 (BH is an authorized Cannondale dealer). It seemed to fit my body better than the comparable Trek or Specialized, and, more importantly, I liked the sales guy. He helped me find the right sized bike, then spent some time explaining little details like maintenance and checkups and so on.

Members who have read this thread: 0