Rocky Hill vs Bluff Creek Ranch...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rocky Hill vs Bluff Creek Ranch...

Hello; have a small group of Houston riders varying in skill and endurance...and was thinking about trying out Bluff Creek Ranch. Noticed Rocky Hill is also nearby.

Our group is in it for the fun and not trying to pound out 40 miles. I think we usually quit between 6-10 miles in houston trails (lots of roots though).
    However, i like drop offs and technical obstacles...but i'm sure either location will have something for me.

which would you recommend? or if you have hit up just one of them...please post what you liked/disliked about it. thanks!
    2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo
    2012 Specialized FSR Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    oh, we plan to make a day trip out of it first...then maybe a camping trip combined...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bluff creek is a blast. Gas pass is a fun section.

Haven't ridden RHR yet but from what I'm told, it is a trail that you kinda need to prepare (nutritionally) for 5-6 days ahead of time. have also heard that the first climb can wipe out most endurance for the next 21 miles. Gonna ride it soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I haven't been to Bluff Creek but we went to Rocky Hill just before New Years and thought it was kind of boring. If you're into marathons and just a lot of pedaling and long (not super steep) climbs, it might be for you. There was only one section towards the end (whatever the trail is that takes you to The Wall and Reveille's Romp that I liked and by that time we were kind of tired and ready to go. There was nothing really very technical. I was really wishing we would have just gone to Barton Creek Greenbelt since we were heading to Austin anyway (from Houston).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    Haven't ridden RHR yet but from what I'm told, it is a trail that you kinda need to prepare (nutritionally) for 5-6 days ahead of time. have also heard that the first climb can wipe out most endurance for the next 21 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    I haven't been to Bluff Creek but we went to Rocky Hill just before New Years and thought it was kind of boring. If you're into marathons and just a lot of pedaling and long (not super steep) climbs, it might be for you. There was only one section towards the end (whatever the trail is that takes you to The Wall and Reveille's Romp that I liked and by that time we were kind of tired and ready to go. There was nothing really very technical.
    not sounding too good for Rocky Hill for my group.
    looking for something flowy with downhill and a few technical obstacles. We had alot of fun at Jack Brooks the last few times.

mtbr member
    Bluff creek's Gas pass and some of the back section looks cool...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/67TCsnlHwJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DK1UpHu9jg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rjDuV0kBbvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I've rode both RHR and BCR many times and they are completely different. I go to RHR to see if my stamina has improved or if I want a long ride that will keep me busy for 4+ hours. While not very technical until you get to BlacTrak there is lots of climbing. Fat Chucks Demise is the very first hill you encounter and it's 1 mile of up, up, up! You can take the alternate Easy Up trail which is longer and easier but you still have to climb the same hill. Make sure to take a map with you which you can find at the sign-in shack and if possible bring someone who's been there before. The trails have changed and the maps do not reflect the changes. It's easy to get turned around and miss fun sections of trails. A full loop with all Extra Credit trails will give you 22 miles but there are options to do 6, 8, and 12 mile loops instead of the full tour. BCR is an 8 mile loop that I feel is more 'fun' to ride than RHR. While it has it's share of climbing its no where near as much as at RHR. The roller coaster section off of Gas Pass and the downhill at Mule Trace are my favorites. My advice is to try BCR first as you don't need a guide and see how you do there. As Archaic said, you need to prepare nutritionally for RHR as it's a long grind and you can get pretty far away from the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbansniper View Post
    not sounding too good for Rocky Hill for my group.
    looking for something flowy with downhill and a few technical obstacles. We had alot of fun at Jack Brooks the last few times.
    Jack Brooks rocks, I love that place! Sounds like your riding style/preference is similar to mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    Make sure to take a map with you which you can find at the sign-in shack and if possible bring someone who's been there before. The trails have changed and the maps do not reflect the changes. It's easy to get turned around and miss fun sections of trails.
    Okay, I'm glad it wasn't our lack of map reading skills (which aren't great) that always made me felt lost and turned around at RHR. I think we eventually found all of the trails that we were looking for but we found most of them by accident and not from any help from the map. That and every arrow there says "Fat Chuck's Demise this way" and often those arrows are pointing in opposite directions or directly at one another. We were starting to think Fat Chuck's Demise was a hoax that the seasoned locals liked to play on the newbies, lol!
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 01-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info all !

Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    Jack Brooks rocks, I love that place! Sounds like your riding style/preference is similar to mine.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The map that RHR provides is about 2 years out of date and really doesn't help much until you get past Off The Lip. Fat Chuck is buried at the top of Fat Chuck's Demise but you'll only see him if you take the FCD trail. If you take Easy Up you'll miss him. Once you get to the first watering station ro right and you'll find Karaway. From there the trail map is ok but still it's best to bring someone who knows all the trails the first time you go ride there. We're planning a group ride in February so keep a look out for a post here at mtbr.com