Rockin'- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rockin'

ronbo613

Rockin'

I'm new to Texas so forgive me for asking; are all the trails around here like this or are all the rocks in the state on this particular trail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Most of them are like that in SA and Austin, and west of both. There's a small few that are flatter, but they're lame. I love those kinds of rocky trails.

Why, are you wanting something flat and boring?

Big Boy
    yup...welcome to texas. i started riding in washington state on the olympic peninsula and when i first moved here i didnt really care for it. But, since it is relatively flat you need something to make the rides challenging and the rocks do just that. Now i actually really like texas riding.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

meh
    texas has an extremely varied geography depending on the part of the state you are in

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    texas has an extremely varied geography depending on the part of the state you are in
    This is very true. towards LA there arent as many rocks. towards New Mexico more open rolling hills. then you have central texas rocks and there is always the hill country.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    This is very true. towards LA there arent as many rocks. towards New Mexico more open rolling hills. then you have central texas rocks and there is always the hill country.
    East Texas = sandbox, but we still have rocks here and there. very rooty, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In El Paso, it is slightly rougher than that. It is all loose rock and smooth trails can be measured in feet and nearly all the trails are on a mountain. Meanest place I have ever ridden for trail rides.

ronbo613
    yup...welcome to texas. i started riding in washington state on the olympic peninsula and when i first moved here i didnt really care for it. But, since it is relatively flat you need something to make the rides challenging and the rocks do just that. Now i actually really like texas riding.
    I like riding pretty much wherever it is. This ride was a full body workout; legs from riding and arms from twisting the front wheels over, around and through the rocks.

Why, are you wanting something flat and boring?
    Hell no

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Government Canyon is (so far) my number 1 trail in Texas. How is this for rocky?

mtbr member
    Like was mentioned, it depends on where you are...Texas is so big that it literally has every type of trail surface you can imagine.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I'm new to Texas so forgive me for asking; are all the trails around here like this or are all the rocks in the state on this particular trail?

Get used to it and leave the rocks alone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    Government Canyon is (so far) my number 1 trail in Texas. How is this for rocky?

ayy gov canyon is brutal! I only go there to punish myself haha. Don't really have a lot of fun till the ride is over. I road the lower loop at flat rock ranch today. Def my new #1 trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    ayy gov canyon is brutal! I only go there to punish myself haha. Don't really have a lot of fun till the ride is over. I road the lower loop at flat rock ranch today. Def my new #1 trail
    We went to Gov't Canyon again yesterday. lol Like I said, it's our favorite spot. This time we checked out Wildcat Canyon and entered from the right direction, which is from the back of the park. All downhill!!! Loved it.

My friend had his first fall on that trail. Nothing but large rocks, so I was surprised he made it out ok.

We dropped off our bikes and ran up the overlook trail:

Everytime I see those wooded, flat, dirt trails from other states I think "lame!"

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    It's not all that bad around here. Flat Rock is challenging but if you take your time there's lots of switchbacks and fast single track to keep the blood pumping.

I ride the Leon Creek Greenway and it's got everything. Nice single track some good climbs, both dirt and rock, and dropoffs to test your skills.

Here are some pics from some of my rides.