Rigid in Houston??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515

    Rigid in Houston??

    So, I seem to be racking up 29ers and most recently have a Ti in build. Gonna make this a ss and wondering what are thoughts on making this a full rigid?? The builder offers a CF fork and wanting to get thoughts from those who have had experience in a full rigid in the root infested type of trails we have here in Houston.

    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    61
    Contact BGillespie. He's on a rigid SS in Houston.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjammin View Post
    Contact BGillespie. He's on a rigid SS in Houston.
    Much gracias!!!!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Yep, rigid Gunnar Ruffian, 26" wheels, 32:16 gearing.

    Where do you mainly ride?

    What is the goal with this bike, speed, simple/low-maintenance, light, travel, bike packing?

    If you can afford a Ti, you can afford purchasing the rigid fork; ditch it if you don't like it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Yep, rigid Gunnar Ruffian, 26" wheels, 32:16 gearing.

    Where do you mainly ride?

    What is the goal with this bike, speed, simple/low-maintenance, light, travel, bike packing?

    If you can afford a Ti, you can afford purchasing the rigid fork; ditch it if you don't like it.
    I am very new to the mtb world - just started this month. But, I've been riding in T.H. Park as this is right out my door and convenient. I am hoping to branch out and start taking in more trails as I improve. I think I'm at a point that I have some choices on what to ride (I've already purchased two Air 9's ( making one a pavement bike and the other a geared offroad ride)) and an On One Inbred SS (Not yet assembled). The Ti bike is going to be an SS setup as well. My thinking is the CF fork on this frame. I have already sent out my wheels for build (CK hub front, Power Tap rear (gonna pull this off a road bike) w/Stans Crest rings laced up by Dave Thomas at Speed Dreams), Be Bop Ti Pedals. Looking for CF crankset (XO??), and CF seat post, EC90SL stem, Haven CF bars, yada yada. Everything, except frame, pedals and Power Tap, will be black.

    As for the goal of the bike, I like the "Just ride" value of the ss. I'm thinking the Ti will ride nicer than the On One in whatever situation. I do like the low maintenance aspect as well. I was going to have to use a tensioner on the bike but, have spoken to Jim McDonald at Beer Components and he is going to engineer an EBB for me.

    So, I think it will just be a cool project that will yield some great rides when completed. If then full rigid doesn't work for me; like you said, just ditch the CF fork and get something else!! My "Bling Bike"!!
    Last edited by Andy Pancroft; 08-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.

  6. #6
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    I run a rigid 29er and ride the Anthills alot which is a pretty rooty trail.

    Its very nice as long as I have energy to hop and be smooth but once the energy runs out it sucks. It forces you to be smoother on the trail.

    I love the rigid on the pavement. It makes a great commuter bike.

    I have a super stiff steel fork that goes exactly where I want it to with zero deviation. It even makes my Fox feel flexy.

    I'm also just running 2.1 tires instead of larger ones which would help smooth everything out more.

    A rigid fork is cheap to try and like you said you can always throw a suspension fork on it if you tire of it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I run a rigid 29er and ride the Anthills alot which is a pretty rooty trail.

    Its very nice as long as I have energy to hop and be smooth but once the energy runs out it sucks. It forces you to be smoother on the trail.

    I love the rigid on the pavement. It makes a great commuter bike.

    I have a super stiff steel fork that goes exactly where I want it to with zero deviation. It even makes my Fox feel flexy.

    I'm also just running 2.1 tires instead of larger ones which would help smooth everything out more.

    A rigid fork is cheap to try and like you said you can always throw a suspension fork on it if you tire of it.
    So far, this is where I ride pretty regularly. This is what concerns me with the rigid. I guess I just wonder if putting a suspended fork takes away from the purity of the SS and the Ti frame!!??

  8. #8
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    If your around my size (5' 10") you can try mine one day if you like. Just have a pedal tool handy as I use ATACS.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    If your around my size (5' 10") you can try mine one day if you like. Just have a pedal tool handy as I use ATACS.
    Thanks, appreciate the offer!!! My luck, that will be the time I hit a root, go ass over tea kettle, crack the frame right before the bike splashes into Buffalo Bayou and is scooped up by a 14 ft alligator. I think I'll just conclude that Ti is all it's cracked up ti be. And, end of the day, the frame is already in build!!!

  10. #10
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    wow, a month in and you have almost 4 bikes?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    wow, a month in and you have almost 4 bikes?
    I bought three with a plan: One geared Air 9 for the dirt, another with an 11-21 cassette and slicks to train on the pavement and a SS. The Ti is just a "I gotta have s blingy bike" knee jerk purchase. But, after years on the road, I'm loving the dirt!!!

    Needless to say, the girl is already getting a little nervous about this!! LOL

  12. #12
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    515
    Gulp!!! I go on an on about Jack Brooks, but I can't imagine riding it hard/fast w/o FS. One loop and I can trash myself pretty nicely - and that's w/ FS! Full rigid??? I don thin so, but that's me.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by selector View Post
    Gulp!!! I go on an on about Jack Brooks, but I can't imagine riding it hard/fast w/o FS. One loop and I can trash myself pretty nicely - and that's w/ FS! Full rigid??? I don thin so, but that's me.
    No, not just you!! I do worry about the idea of riding all the roots in my local trail on a rigid ss.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by selector View Post
    Gulp!!! I go on an on about Jack Brooks, but I can't imagine riding it hard/fast w/o FS. One loop and I can trash myself pretty nicely - and that's w/ FS! Full rigid??? I don thin so, but that's me.
    I was on my Gunnar when I met you at JB. With a 2.4 in the front at 20 psi, JB and TH aren't bad at all. BCGB however...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    No, not just you!! I do worry about the idea of riding all the roots in my local trail on a rigid ss.
    Its not bad. A little body english helps tremendously, as well as picking a good line.

    Will your fork allow for a 2.4+ tire?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Its not bad. A little body english helps tremendously, as well as picking a good line.

    Will your fork allow for a 2.4+ tire?
    Yes!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    I was on my Gunnar when I met you at JB. With a 2.4 in the front at 20 psi, JB and TH aren't bad at all. BCGB however...
    Is your Gunnar full rigid??

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Is your Gunnar full rigid??
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Yep, rigid Gunnar Ruffian, 26" wheels, 32:16 gearing.
    Please see: http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/d...id-713803.html

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Click Click Boom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    458
    I'm running a Raglet TD:1 rigid at the moment. I had the Optimus Ti rigid until a month ago.

  20. #20
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    I was on my Gunnar when I met you at JB.
    I met you my second or third week on JB... I ride/know it a little differently now and there's no way I'd run it anywhere close to the same time on a rigid - no way in hell!!!

    By the way, got spanked hard this AM... not far from the trailhead, came to the first small wooden "bridge" and washed out/went down. Shorted back to the parking lot, sorted myself and went back out. The wooden "bridges" w/o grip tape hold water and will have you on your arse in a heartbeat!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM
  2. Rigid Spam .... Wanted 29er Rigid Fork ...see add
    By MichiganClydesdale in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
  4. new 2 houston
    By matrixracing81 in forum Texas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.