Riding in Witchita Falls?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Witchita Falls?

Hello to all the Texans here! I'll be in Wichita Falls in February and was wondering if there's a trail network there or near the city. I'll be staying at Sheppard AFB so something close to there would even be better. Hoping someone chimes in and lets me in on the info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsca07
    Hello to all the Texans here! I'll be in Wichita Falls in February and was wondering if there's a trail network there or near the city. I'll be staying at Sheppard AFB so something close to there would even be better. Hoping someone chimes in and lets me in on the info!
    Hi there! Although there isn't too much in the area without driving, there is the Wee-Chi-Tah Trail right down the road. If you wish to drive a little further there is plenty to choose from to the east and southeast of you. Click here to see a Googlemap of all the trails in the area or you can click on the link below to go straight to the MountainBikeTx.com homepage.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Thx, that's just what I needed!

Got Mojo?

Check out The Breaks at Bar H in St. Joe, only 50ish miles from WF.

Sweet singletrack,

http://www.barhbreaks.com/
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to take a weekend trip there. I'll be in Sheppard for a month so I think I can make some time.

mtbr member
    I left Sheppard 1.5yrs ago and the Wee-Chi-Tah Trail is a grate ride. It starts down town at Texoma Cycle Center (TCC) and follows the river for a 12 mile loop of technical single track for all levels of riding. TCC has group rides on the weekends so you can mix it up with the locals.

Bar H in Saint Jo TX, is only an hour away where you can camp and ride all weekend for $20...this is a must ride for any MTB'er...

Enjoy your stay, your going during best time of the year for riding...

Zenke!!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem
    ......Enjoy your stay, your going during best time of the year for riding...

Zenke!!!
    ??????????
    It's cold--it's below 60. I'd rather ride when it's 90.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    ??????????
    It's cold--it's below 60. I'd rather ride when it's 90.
    Y'ah, but if I know WF's it won't last long...

mtbr member
    Your guys' feedback has been great. I thought I'd have to be off my bike for a month but it looks like I'm going to get in some pretty good riding. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey, I'm headed to Sheppard as well, should be there on the 5th of the new year to start new mos school. I looked into this a few weeks ago when I found out where I was headed.

-jacob

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4579crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_4579crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4579crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead3003
    Hey, I'm headed to Sheppard as well, should be there on the 5th of the new year to start new mos school. I looked into this a few weeks ago when I found out where I was headed.

-jacob

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4579crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_4579crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4579crx.aspx

Have fun, but re: Lucy Park and Tanglewood, you might want to scratch them from your things to do list:

Tanglewood
    Summary:
    Basically this little area was taken over by dirt bikes who made lots of noise and tore the trails to crap. About 3 months ago they put up numerous no trespassing signs. One dude on a dirt bike supposedly got fined already, so I am not pushing any buttons. The trails were not that good anyway, all ate up by the dirt bikes. I would personally recommend the Wee-chi-tah trail by the river (opposite Lucy Park). Don't know if the review is any good. Email me and I can give you details. But I wouldn't bother with this one, it's not worth the risk.

Recommended Route:
    By the Citco, but don't bother, it's posted closed now.

or, for a more recent review:

"this could be a good trail but its very over grown. we got about .5 miles into it and had to turn around because the mesquite trees were killing us."

...hence the reason they aren't listed on MountainBikeTx.com
    Last edited by Pedigre; 12-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the information Pedigre, I think I'll have to use MountainBikeTx.com now that I'll be back in Texas for the next few years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead3003
    Thanks for the information Pedigre, I think I'll have to use MountainBikeTx.com now that I'll be back in Texas for the next few years.
    That's a great idea! ...then again, perhaps I am a bit biased. Nevertheless, no problem on the info...that's what I'm here for.
    Pedigre

USAF Retired
    I'm at Sheppard right now and will be until February 6th so you guys who are gonna be here during that time let me know. We'll go ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juvat
    I'm at Sheppard right now and will be until February 6th so you guys who are gonna be here during that time let me know. We'll go ride.

Check yo PM's

Sep 2008
    My wife is an instructor at Sheppard, so if you guys want to go riding let me know and I can get a kitchen pass

USAF Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaf3
    My wife is an instructor at Sheppard, so if you guys want to go riding let me know and I can get a kitchen pass
    Sounds good.

mtbr member

yeah, sounds good. I'll check in with you guys on saturady when I get to sheppard. Look for PM saturday

USAF Retired
    Hopefully the weather holds out. It's supposed to be near 80 tomorrow and maybe it'll stay nice through the weekend.

mtbr member
    Got my gear ready. Packing up the truck and rollin out in the morning. Should get there arounnd Sat afternoon

mtbr member
    Holy crap it's cold right now. WTF, the weather said 65 the other day. Too cold for me today (sat) Weather says it's supposed to warm up sun. If it doesn't I'm gonna pass.

Sep 2008
    welcome to Texas.... 70 one day 30 the other. how long will you be here for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was out there today was a fun ride and around 40ish degrees so it wasn't too bad. It's only my second time to ride the trail but there was a bridge at Dons Bowl that wasn't there on my first ride and opened up a lot more trail I didn't ride the first time.

USAF Retired
    I plan on heading out there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    me too

Sep 2008
    Bet that you did not think that you would be ice biking while you are here.

mtbr member
    Bet that you did not think that you would be ice biking while you are here.
    lol just stick some short nails, like tacks, through your tire (pointing out) and presto! instant ghetto studded snow tires suitable for an icy trail!!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anyone who actually tries this thinking it would work
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    If I had a bike to ride I might try that! Juvat and me went out the other day and five mins into the ride my dumb ass shifted funny and destroyed my RD. Hopefully the weather clears when the ride is ready.

mtbr member
    If I had a bike to ride I might try that! Juvat and me went out the other day and five mins into the ride my dumb ass shifted funny and destroyed my RD. Hopefully the weather clears when the ride is ready.
    As long as the bike's ready when the weather clears, I guess it was good time to trash the RD.
    Pedigre

USAF Retired
    Should be good to go tomorrow.

Maybe this time we'll make it more than 1/4 mile into the trail.

mtbr member
    Let's hope!

Members who have read this thread: 0