riding in Palo Duro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

riding in Palo Duro

I'm going to stop at Palo Duro to ride on my way to NM. I usually ride in NE Oklahoma, so I'm pretty used to fairly technical trails. I'm not a big fan of big drops(big to me is more than a couple feet). Can anyone give me some feedback on which trails to take and which to avoid? I read the reviews and looked at you tube, seems there may be some pirate trails out there with big drops. Just looking for some current info. Thanks, SS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    All the trails I rode out there were pretty easy. I went from the horseman's camp to Lighthouse and back the last time I was there. All rideable on a 26" SS rigid bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks, sounds like a good place to check out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    After riding some of capital peak , lighthouse, and some other trails, I'd have to agree, not really hard but a lot of fun. Especially all the whoops. Guess I've got to go back for a couple days soon. You Amarillo people have got a good place to ride, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FWIW, there is a lot of information on PD between www.austinbike.com and the Austin voodoo forum at bikemojo (do a search).
    Good luck and enjoy it - I think I have to get up there sometime soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i just went this past weekend, and its really alot of fun.
    im still rather noobish to mountain biking, but i still had a blast.
    cant wait to go back

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wear your helmet when you ride in palo duro.... lol
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=462374

mtbr member
    The other guys got it right, not hard at all but an absolute blast for lovers of fast flowy trails. My first real ride was at PD, it's what got me hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Concur..great place to ride...beautiful area...you'll likely run into some very cool locals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog
    Concur..great place to ride...beautiful area...you'll likely run into some very cool locals.

Right on. everyone i met on that trail was very friendly. When my buddie crashed and twisted his ankel, like 3 diff people offered to help. very cool

Closekids.com
    Here are some pics. Make sure and take the NE most trail system. Really some nice technical stuff. Much more so than Lighthouse, which I found not nearly as good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    beautiful pics doode

sitting here at work, just wishing i was off so i could go back to palo duro.
    awesome place to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Here are some pics. Make sure and take the NE most trail system. Really some nice technical stuff. Much more so than Lighthouse, which I found not nearly as good.

PD is my local playground. It is a great place to ride. Your pics were taken on the GSL which is the most challenging of the xc loops. If you connect from it to the little fox loop then back to the light house it is a great ride. Most of the other trails are easier but still fun to ride. Once you master it you just ride it backwards. If anyone plans on coming to PD give me a shout and I can meet up with you.

Dec 2007
    Just moved to Amarillo. I went and rode Palo Duro yesterday and although pretty decent trails, these dont seem like anything more then begginer trails. Am I missing something? I tryed every trail on the map. Help me out here!

Dec 2007
    Oh and to clarify, im not near an expert rider; intermediate to beginner rider at best, but these trails felt easy.

3WP
    Funkifized

PD in March

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar350r8
    PD is my local playground. It is a great place to ride. Your pics were taken on the GSL which is the most challenging of the xc loops. If you connect from it to the little fox loop then back to the light house it is a great ride. Most of the other trails are easier but still fun to ride. Once you master it you just ride it backwards. If anyone plans on coming to PD give me a shout and I can meet up with you.

Lonestar, There are about 20 of us are coming into PD March 5th-8th to ride. Half of use are coming from the Austin area the other half are coming from Colorado. I'll hit you up when we get closer to that time. Half of the crew has been there before. Lookin forward to riding PD.

There is a post earlier saying you need to wear a helmet. check this vid from PD. It tromps the other vid. By the way he rode two more days after this spill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgR_3...e=channel_page
    Post hee haw funkadelic groova

Closekids.com
    go to the area in the picks. It is the back right trail (GSL). Not marked as bike trail, marked as multi use, but it is pretty salty, but not double diamond for sure. There is none of that there that I saw. Other stuff is mostly greens.

3WP
    Funkifized

PD pics

Palo Duro from last years trip. We are heading back in March.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bellsnte...ringBreak2008#
    Post hee haw funkadelic groova

mtbr member
    Palo Duro is a great place to ride, though the ironic thing is that the GSL (a running trail) is a better ride than Captial Peak (a mtb trail).

Check out the pics and review on MountainBikeTx.com

But, above all, stay on the marked trails...
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hello mbikers,
    I'm from Oklahoma City, Ok. and I always hear from buddies to go and ride PD. I've never made it out there. If I have the chance, I may try and go on March. I'll see how many from Okc wanna join me. It's time to go and check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey GT,
    I am from OKC too, I go to Palo Duro every couple of months or so, it is great riding. Nothing super tech about it, it is fast, fun, and flows pretty well. It is a great park, and a pretty good time. The entire trail system (minus some "locals only") is at or about 18 miles. It is posible to leave OKC, Ok at 0600, be riding at or about 1030, do 2 complete laps and be heading back home by 1500 or so, home by 2100.
    Like I said it is not super tech b ut it is fun and a change from Turkey, Keystone, Roman Nose, Clear Bay, Ardmore, Lawton, Draper, McMurtry and who could forget Bluff.
    YZF571

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 3WP
    Lonestar, There are about 20 of us are coming into PD March 5th-8th to ride. Half of use are coming from the Austin area the other half are coming from Colorado. I'll hit you up when we get closer to that time. Half of the crew has been there before. Lookin forward to riding PD.

There is a post earlier saying you need to wear a helmet. check this vid from PD. It tromps the other vid. By the way he rode two more days after this spill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgR_3...e=channel_page

Awesome, you guys let me know and I will do my best to meet up with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly
    Just moved to Amarillo. I went and rode Palo Duro yesterday and although pretty decent trails, these dont seem like anything more then begginer trails. Am I missing something? I tryed every trail on the map. Help me out here!
    Never been, but looking into going and I found these...looks decent. At least some parts, of course if this represents 5% of the trail then that's another story. But given the terrain out there seems like if the opportunity exists some great lines could be built.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iin0Y3hQvhg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iin0Y3hQvhg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDPwtHRsvz8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDPwtHRsvz8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No Knuckle Crew
    The Capitol Peak area has some newer stuff that is pretty tough if you can work your way back there from cliffside.

Members who have read this thread: 0