riding near Canyon Lake?- Mtbr.com

May 2008

riding near Canyon Lake?

going to brother-in-law's lakehouse in Canyon Lake which I hear is near New Braunfels. I don't know much about the area but am looking to ride one of the days. Are there any trails worth checking out and are there any local bike shops that rent or demo bikes? I'm from SoCal and usually ride all-mountain type trails on an Specialized Enduro SL Expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    not sure about shops I am sure somebody will chime in on that . But search for madrone trail at canyon lake. should bring up some directions . other than that there is plenty of trails within driving distance.

May 2008
    Thanks. I found some good info online about trails at canyon lake but now I need a bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsMTB
    Thanks. I found some good info online about trails at canyon lake but now I need a bike!
    I'm not positive who rents, but you can access our map of local bike shops (and trails) and at least see who/what is nearby. Also, our listing for Madrone Trail is a bit more current than Trails.com.
    Pedigre

May 2008
    very cool site. thanks a lot. i hope to find a bike to ride that trail - it looks fun, especially the rocks and drops parts! if you ever come to SoCal check out our site for local trail info:

www.socalsingletrack.com

I love that people have sites to share trail information. very cool.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliments. Madrone is a pretty fun trail to ride...I need to get back up there and get some more pics, though. I'm thinking one of these days i need to contact all of the bike shops I have listed and somehow show that they rent bikes on the website. Dont' expect that anytime soon, though...I'm still working on contacting them all in general.

I dig the trail listing format on your site...and the googlemap.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Post up over on bike mojo:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...mid=7&x=18&y=8

There might be someone willing to bring a spare bike with them and give you the full tour. They're great guys to ride with.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Rohloff
    You can rent a bike from Bicycle Sports Shop in Austin, TX. They've got a pretty good selection.

www.bicyclesportshop.com

The Madrone Trail is fun but rough. Make sure you rent a FS bike.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    and remember there is a ride at madrone on the 1st around 1115 or 1130 AM if memory serves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    You can rent a bike from Bicycle Sports Shop in Austin, TX. They've got a pretty good selection.

www.bicyclesportshop.com

The Madrone Trail is fun but rough. Make sure you rent a FS bike.
    Actually I don't think that madrone is that rough compared to the other trails in central texas. It can easily be done on a hardtail, but if you can get a FS it will be more fun.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Actually I don't think that madrone is that rough compared to the other trails in central texas. It can easily be done on a hardtail, but if you can get a FS it will be more fun.
    Madrone Trail doesn't have much in the way of large drops, but it does have more than it's fair share of rock gardens. I've done it on a rigid single speed but I didn't like it. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We're all old I used to ride city park in austin on a HT with maybe 1/4" of travel on my fork.

Now a 4" FS is not enough for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0