Riding In Houston Jan 24+25- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding In Houston Jan 24+25

I'll be in Houston January 23-26 on business and am looking to ride with anyone interested. Realistically I can only bike the mornings of the 24th and 25th (Wed and Thurs) so I'm not expecting any takers, but if anyone is up for a ride those days, please PM me or email [email protected]. I'll be renting a bike, and will hopefully get a fun new ride for a couple days.

What are people riding in Houston? In northern NJ/NY State it's rocky as hell, so dualies rule, but I would imagine more people are on hardtails or 29ers out here.

If you know of any shops in the area that rent bikes, let me know. I'll try the BIke Barn and Sun and Ski which I saw in another thread.

Thanks - Justin

Jul 2006
    Need to know where you'll be staying. Houston is really spread out and there are shops all over.

Houston is very flat. Hardtail is the way to go, imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    West End bikes rents bikes. The bikes are a bit dated but they're good enuf to get you around Memorial Park which is only 10 min away. Not sure of any other shops that rent. And like TXHucker said, trail choice depends on where you're at in Houston (it's spread out). If you want to drive for an hour or so there are lots of trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd am out of town, otherwise I might take you up...a good weekday morning ride (like a nooner) is sweet when you can get it....
    West End rents bikes and is close to memorial park...large GF 29ner last I called (insert thumbs up here)...singletrack and roots...if there are rocks around houston proper, I haven't found em.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm staying at the Westin Galleria which looks real close to Memorial Park, so looks like I'm headed there for some rides. West End bikes is on the other side of the park, but looks to be a 2 or 3-mile run. Hopefully they'll have a fun hardtail or 29er I can rent for a couple days.

What are the recommended trails in the park? Is it sketchy in the early morning hours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There aren't any really difficult trails at MP (they closed down all the fun ones ). HoChiMin (nearest the parking areas) is fairly tame (Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, and Red trails). Intermediate at best. Make sure you go all the way to the east side and hit up the green trail (AKA Cambodia) and also ask some locals to point you towards "The Triangle" on the other side of the RR tracks. Check the weather too and please don't ride if the trails are wet or muddy (which it has been lately)--it'll only destroy them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    There aren't any really difficult trails at MP (they closed down all the fun ones ). HoChiMin (nearest the parking areas) is fairly tame (Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, and Red trails). Intermediate at best. Make sure you go all the way to the east side and hit up the green trail (AKA Cambodia) and also ask some locals to point you towards "The Triangle" on the other side of the RR tracks. Check the weather too and please don't ride if the trails are wet or muddy (which it has been lately)--it'll only destroy them.

Thanks. I'll probably blow through one of these trails in them morning and spend more time just riding around the city checking it out. Never been out here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Caveat emptor...I'm not a big fan biking on our streets...though we do have some bike lanes of sorts. You can actually take street/sidewalk to downtown (including going through another park by Buffalo Bayou.

Members who have read this thread: 0