Riding during the summer months- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Riding during the summer months

I was wondering how rideable during the summer months in DFW. Do you have to ride at night? Or does it even cool off at night?

I am in SoCal relocating to Dallas suburb by the end of this year(hopefully). I don't mind riding in triple digit temps in Socal, but no idea how tough it could be in Dallas since I have never visited there in summer.

Here, diagonally!
    Live and ride in DFW. Summer sucks here, but I ride year around and sometimes in the mid-day heat. If you take all the usual precautions and drink lots of water it is not a problem. You have to get your body acclimated of course. We have some very shaded trails, although that does cut down on the breeze.

It is pretty dry right now, highs right about 100, decent breeze. Once the sun gets low it is really not too bad. But really it is just not as fun as it is the rest of the year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Been riding through the summer as well. I normally try to ride in the evening as the sun is going down. It's made for some really nice rides. I would say the best time of day would be in the morning before the heat of the day really hits. Second I would say the evening as the sun is going down. I haven't been to Cali, so I can't compare here vs there. I know we have a fairly humid climate compared to lots. Over 100 I say our humidity definitely drops, but still humid compared to other places. It's also a lot less humid than other places (Houston, etc.). So I'd mostly just say it's dependent on what you're used to. All the 'hydration' tips Jackl already listed, as well as getting used to it before just jumping out in a mid day ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm a little further south in SA. But, one thing I learned about moving down here is that the hottest part of our day is not noon. But, rather between 5 and 6 in the evening. I try not to ride past noon as that is when the temperatures start to go over 90. At least this far south, it's still well over 90 until the sun actually sets making it pretty oppressive for us.

Just to add my hydration plan, on a normal 4 hr ride: 100ml bladder and 3 podium bottles. Sometimes I come back with a full bottle or I'm trying to find a water source to refill. And of course, it depends on the trail. Whether it be shaded or full on sun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The Austin area is the same, I try to be on the trail by 8-830 and off by noon. It just seems to keep getting hotter until the sun goes down. I've never liked carrying bottles but thats about to change, my 100oz bladder isn't cutting it.

Just embrace sweating profusely

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    I was wondering how rideable during the summer months in DFW. Do you have to ride at night? Or does it even cool off at night?

I am in SoCal relocating to Dallas suburb by the end of this year(hopefully). I don't mind riding in triple digit temps in Socal, but no idea how tough it could be in Dallas since I have never visited there in summer.
    i have lived in houston, austin, and socal. houston by far the worst.

it will be much more uncomfortable riding in DFW due to heat and humidity, but you will have shade. i have done so many rides in SD backcountry and sun is so intense with little or no shade. still i acclimated much easier to that than Texas heat and humidity. heat of day in Socal is usually noon early afternoon. In texas from memory i would say 3-5 pm are insane but noon is no picnic either

your best tactic would be shady trails and ice cubes in your water bladder. also will need bug repellant.

Sent with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you guys for the awesome tips! I feel much better now.

The Best Piece Of Advice I have ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post

By the way, is it advisable to use some type of electrolytes in your water pack during summer ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Summer ends in 4 weeks anyways.

Mornings are cooler but humidity is high. 5-7pm it's more warm but the Sun isn't beating on you but more importantly humidity drops way off.

Thankfully most of the trails are shaded making it not that big of a deal, but as others have said prepare to be drenched. Oh, and carry salt pills, they are important for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How bad is the bugs/insects situation in DFW? I hate bug repellent so I prefer not to use it unless absolutely necessary. I hiked arbor hills bike trails in early June this year, but didn't really see any bugs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    How bad is the bugs/insects situation in DFW? I hate bug repellent so I prefer not to use it unless absolutely necessary. I hiked arbor hills bike trails in early June this year, but didn't really see any bugs.
    Depends on where you are riding, but if it's near one of our lakes, expect mosquitos to be around. I live near Lake Lewisville and we have to deal with them pretty much 8 months out of the year. That said, I don't wear bug repellent on rides, since it motivates me to ride faster and out run them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Here, diagonally!
    I find it very rare that repellent is needed or that I even get a mosquito bite when riding. Riding at dusk if there has been rain within the last 2 days, yes there may be bugs, otherwise not an issue.

I rode yesterday evening and it really was not too bad. We are in the triple digits, but it's dry and there was a breeze. I actually prefer when it's dry like this.

As far as salt / electrolytes, I drink nothing but straight water and lots of it. My diet is salty, so I think it's actually a good thing for me to sweat out the salt. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    JACKL, watch yourself doing that. You can dilute (basically) your bloodstream to the point that you can get sick... or worse. A guy died doing the Texas Water Safari a couple years back by drinking way more water than he needed. Just saying be careful.

As for Austin, we try to get out on the trail early. This time of year you're pouring wet by 1030. We try to wrap it up and go get some lunch and head home. In the evenings, it's already hot and stays that way until the sun goes down. It's not too hot to ride, but it can definitely take some of the fun out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There is no chance of me drinking too much water. I drink the entire time and am dehydrated for like 2 days after a summer bike ride. If I don't take salt pills my entire body will lock up from lack of salts.

I also would rather ride when it's 95 in the evening with 40% humidity compared to the morning rides where it's 83 but 90% humidity. That said, the next 3 weeks are the absolute worst time for TX weather. After I rode last Saturday morning I decided: no more riding until the first cool front.

mtbr member
    At 200lbs I would probably have to drink more than 10L of water in a day die from hyponatramia. Assuming I was not replenishing electrolytes.

Chances are when someone dies from hyponatremia they are prone to it with an already low sodium level or drink too much beer on a regular basis (yes, it's a real think potomania).

That said it make perfect sense to include electrolytes on those longer rides on the hot days. Generally if I'm planning a 3 hours or more ride (that's about 3L) or a half day of trail building I will include NUUN electrolyte tabs in my water. Or if I know I am still feeling a bit dryer than I should I will included them on shorter hot rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I need to find a way to carry more water, I drain the 100L pack in an hour and a half lol. I put a bottle cage on the bike recently, I'm considering getting the mount for 2 more bottles on the seat frame for longer rides.

Magically Delicious
    For me personally, hydration is an ongoing practice. I ensure that I'm appropriately hydrated a day before riding and continue an ongoing replenishment from morning to near bedtime. I want to be fully hydrated before even beginning the ride.

My rides are two different times in the MetroMess (DFW). I do pre-dawn road rides and after dark, night trail rides (with lights) during the summer here.

My pre-dawn rides are the best. I have even done some of the trails around here pre-dawn. It's nice to get in 15 or 16 miles of trail in before 6:00 am. Getting up this early isn't for everyone though.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NothinSpecial View Post
    I need to find a way to carry more water, I drain the 100L pack in an hour and a half lol. I put a bottle cage on the bike recently, I'm considering getting the mount for 2 more bottles on the seat frame for longer rides.
    Seriously, do you weigh 250+? If not you are probably going out dehydrated to begin with...it's hard to imagine how'd you'd go through 3L in 1.5hrs.

Magically Delicious
    While I carry a 3L Camelbak, I only carry about 1.5 ltrs. of straight water and only consume about half or a little more of that during a 2 hour ride. After the ride I will knock down a liter of electrolytes and a recovery drink. While my theory might not be correct, I feel like I can attribute this minimal consumption during the ride to being thoroughly hydrated (with appropriate electrolytes) before the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    Seriously, do you weigh 250+? If not you are probably going out dehydrated to begin with...it's hard to imagine how'd you'd go through 3L in 1.5hrs.
    6' 190lbs in pretty good shape, I do stay pretty well hydrated... I guess I really like my water.

I can make it last for longer rides, but if I know it'll be 1-1.5 hrs I can easily finish it by then. We were gone for 7 hours on a 20 mile ride in Colorado and started off with 2700' of climbing in the first 13 miles. I did my best to preserve it but I was whooped climbing for that long at that elevation and it was mostly out before the fun part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm 6' 180# but sweat like a whore in church. And I always start out poorly hydrated cause I'm always on the run and hate to stop and pee.

During TX summers I take a large camelback completely full of Gatorade (powder mix) cause water alone goes right thru me and leaves me very dehydrated. I also carry a frozen water bottle on my bike. When the camelback runs dry, that's when I start trying to get back to the truck on the water bottle.

Oddly enough during the Fall-Winter-Spring I only use the water bottle and no camelback as I never need it. Which is problematic cause I have no where to carry my tools/ phone/ keys...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    While I carry a 3L Camelbak, I only carry about 1.5 ltrs. of straight water and only consume about half or a little more of that during a 2 hour ride. After the ride I will knock down a liter of electrolytes and a recovery drink. While my theory might not be correct, I feel like I can attribute this minimal consumption during the ride to being thoroughly hydrated (with appropriate electrolytes) before the ride.
    I'd say your assumption is sound. I definitely drink less when I am already well hydrated.

I will often drink BCAAs right before or during a ride if I'm carrying a bottle or if I am riding in a fasted state. Reduce fatigue, reduce muscle damage and increased fat oxidation.

I always try to finish my ride with carbs, protein and electrolytes...even before the beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    BCAAs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    BCAAs?
    Seriously? Branch Chain Amino Acids. Proteins broken down into peptides (aka pre-digested) so your body literally does not have to digest them - just absorb them.

Lot's of endurance drinks these days will have electrolytes, small amount of carbs and BCAAs.

I also have a di and tri-peptide protein that I can drink during a ride - again, body doesn't need to digest this protein and a little goes a very long way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    something something Amino Acids, I've got them but usually use them post-workout/ride.

Maybe on my next longer ride I'll mix some up in the water bottle, I don't like the idea of putting anything but water in my camelbak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I was riding around the hottest part of the day, but was only riding up to 10 miles. I guess for longer rides I am going to have to find out about these electrolyte drinks. I am fairly well acclimated to the hot, dry situations, because I work a lot in the Texas heat.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ride early with an iced down 3 L camelback and am finished by noon-ish. Yeah, it's humid as hell and there are almost always spider bites afterwards from collecting a gazillion webs. Haven't done an evening ride in a while, may have to try that again in the near future. Hell ,lately with all the rain in North Tx, there's been NO riding! But on the upside the temps have been ok. Relatively speaking...

mtbr member
    on a hard greenbelt ride in the heat of summer, I could go thru 3 liters in a couple hours, no problem. i solved my problem by not living in Texas anymore :P

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm working on that same solution sooner... Our daughter is the last one in the nest, and she is in her junior year in high school. We are doing property searches regularly now with the market as good as it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The heat's rough. I normally go running at about 4, heat's pretty rough by then. Just getting into this biking thing again, I'm sure it's pretty similar. Best thing to do is hydrate during the day before you go out, a small intake during, and then replenish after. Rinse and repeat. At least that's what's worked for me. On the lungs, afternoons are easier, unless it's hitting 100+, then it's only mornings for me.

Water, water, water. Or gatorade or whatever.

Oh, I also find that once it hits like 100 it's actually cooler to wear thin or sweat-wicking material long-sleeve shirts. Cover your skin. When it gets super hot and the sun and wind beat on ya the sweat actually evaporates too fast to properly cool your body. There's some research or something, I dunno, maybe it's just in my opinion lol.

Magically Delicious
    That sounds plausible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thankfully Summer is just about over.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Deleted
    Last edited by butasan; 09-25-2016 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Evaporative cooling only works when your sweat can evaporate due to low humidity. That's why it's so miserable in a high humidity environment, you're covered in your sweat but none of it evaporates and you don't cool off.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ I'm glad someone had the patience to articulate that. I just moved on...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode Thurs. at Dino. Valley, temps in the 70's!!! So awesome... last week on Tues. It got up to 100 for the high. What a difference a week made!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk