• 06-15-2011
    2gunnz
    Riding and camping at Sam Houston Nat. Forest
    Trying to find a place to take the family camping that has some decent trails. Any suggestions? Currently I'm looking at Sam Houston National forest. The review on MountainBikeTx made it sound like a good choice. Any of you ever go riding or camping there? If so what are your opinions on it?
  • 06-16-2011
    Pedigre
    You're referring to the Double Lake area of Sam Houston, I trust?
  • 06-16-2011
    tdhood
    I've ridden both Double Lake and Huntsville State Park. Of the two, I prefer Double Lake. Aside from being more family-friendly trail, it's not as prone to deep sand as Huntsville is & Huntsville has a thicker infestation of horse & deer flies.

I've never camped at Huntsville, but I have at Double Lake - faintly disappointed in the campsite, as it was right next to the road & you couldn't really "get away from it all" there. Facilities are top-notch, though.
  • 06-16-2011
    2gunnz
    @ Pedigre, yes indeed I was sir. :)

@tdhood Close to the road you say. Not sure if I would like that to much. When we go camping we prefer to be kind of away from things.

Thanks for the reply's though! Any Ideas for other places to go?
  • 06-16-2011
    pleepleus
    Their are several "hunter camps" in SHNF. You can camp for free and this time of year you will likely be the only one in the camp. Just be sure to bring your own water as their are no water hook ups or bathrooms. Their just so happens to be one right next to the double lake expansion trails. The new trails are outside the park but I think you are supposed to pay to enter the park to access the old trails. Just take FS 220 off FM 2025 all the way to the locked gate, their is a parking lot and 3 tent pads on the right. To get to the trails ride through the gate and take the trail to the right up the hill. The trail across from the parking lot leads in to the park and to the old trails.