Riding in Austin during Xmas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Riding in Austin during Xmas?

I live in Iowa and I have a week off between Xmas and new years. Im thinking about taking a road trip to Austin to do some mtb and site seeing. Im curious what the temps are like and the trail conditions during this time. This will be my first time ever in Texas.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Temps and trail conditions can vary wildly based on the weather pattern. It could be that trails are soaked and too wet to ride, it could be 40 and raining, or it could be 80 and sunny.

Last year most of the trails were a mess due to higher than average rainfall. No idea what this year will bring.

Year before that, I raced on Jan 3rd and it was 50 at the start at 8AM and 70 at the finish around 4PM, sunny, with a light breeze.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Odds are that it will be ridable but weather can get plenty nasty, especially if there's any ice storms, which translate into cold rain that later freezes and causes a literal sheet of ice over everything. I was from Colorado so had never seen this until I moved down here.

Otherwise "cold" here is more or less a joke if you have actually cold winters. I can't think of any time it's too cold to ride here when it's dry. I do still use some of my nordic gear in the winter though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Forecast says godzilla el niņo, which means wet...otherwise, there is plenty to ride and great temps that time of year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fall, winter and spring are the preferred times to ride here due to heat. Like the guy above said, this is supposed to be a heavy El Nino year meaning loads of rain, but you never know. It really is a crap shoot whether you can ride or not. Our dry climate soil doesn't do well with moisture and causes huge ruts unless you wait until it dries. There are a few places that dry out faster than others though. City Park/Emma Long tend to dry out very quickly, usually within 24 hours or so. That place is pretty technical and one of the more challenging legal trails around. Pace Bend just west of town dries pretty quickly too. Check here for details about what is rideable or not. Just take the few buttholes with a grain of salt. Check here for a pretty comprehensive list of legal trails in and around Austin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ping me when you get close to coming down here. You can find out about rentals on this forum or my site:

http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/texas-t...aq-942384.html

http://www.austinbike.com/blog/312-s...ming-to-austin

Once you have a bike lined up I can be a guide for different trails. I have an extremely flexible work life and by december I probably will just punch out for the rest of the year and ride. So with a 24 hour notice I can join you. If you ride a large and the trail is singlespeedable I can bring a full suspension bike for you, if it is a full suspension trail (city park or a really long greenbelt ride) then you'll need to rent a bike.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Temps and trail conditions can vary wildly based on the weather pattern. It could be that trails are soaked and too wet to ride, it could be 40 and raining, or it could be 80 and sunny.

Last year most of the trails were a mess due to higher than average rainfall. No idea what this year will bring.

Year before that, I raced on Jan 3rd and it was 50 at the start at 8AM and 70 at the finish around 4PM, sunny, with a light breeze.
    Yep. Very unpredictable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Yep. Very unpredictable.
    For example, it's freaking 98 degrees right now. Go away Summer.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    For example, it's freaking 98 degrees right now. Go away Summer.
    It's completely ridiculous. I'm at my daughter's soccer practice and it might as well be July...

mtbr member
    im basically off work during the weeks around Christmas/New Years. Ping me when it gets closer to then and Ill meet up and ride with you. What kind of riding are you into?