Rideable areas in Austin today? 10/4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Rideable areas in Austin today? 10/4

Been dying to ride but been sick all week and now with more rain (thank god!) I can't ride my local trails here in Steiner Ranch. Last time I tried to ride after a lot of rain here we got about 1/2 mile, too much unrideable mud, tires were overwhelmed and bikes got totally jammed with mud.

Any decent rideable areas? I don't want to destroy a mushy trail with my like-a-sack-of-bricks riding, and I don't want to get really muddy. A little mud is ok and expected!

Any tips on where to go?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nevermind, looks like it's going to rain again today. Was nice and sunny this morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got a good lap in at city park. Wet but rideable.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I got a good lap in at city park. Wet but rideable.
    Thanks! Maybe I can sneak a ride in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are there before any rain hits you will be fine. There were motorcycles out there yesterday
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good to know, thank you.

Must be hard to ride with motorcycles on the same trails.

Never been to EL/CP, should be interesting

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kboykin
    Good to know, thank you.

Must be hard to ride with motorcycles on the same trails.

Never been to EL/CP, should be interesting
    Not hard at all. You hear them coming and get out of the way.

FWIW, in 5+ years of riding CP, I have only seen motorcycles outside the immediate proximity of the parking lot a handful of times, so it isn't some regular occurrence.

I'd suggest going with someone to show you the lines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks CZ.

Is the trail so bad/hard I couldn't figure out a way through it?

It's hard to line up a group ride, and I don't personally know anyone that has a lot of experience and/or knows EL/CP. I enjoy riding with my neighbor/friend but we only manage to line up a ride once a month or so. I would really like to step it up to ride once a week on average, preferrably 2+ times a week.

I'm also in rather poor condition so I don't want to hold people up!

I assume I can trudge along and figure out the trail to the best of my abilities. I'll take my cell phone, some energy bars, and a camel back. (and tube changing gear).

I think today may be the best day to get out with the forecast for the week not looking very promising. Now if I can just get work settled up, and sneak past the wife

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks CZ.

Is the trail so bad/hard I couldn't figure out a way through it?
    Sounds like you are smart enough to scope out lines on your own, just don't go riding over anything that you cannot see over!

Trail is pretty well marked, take a look at the maps posted at austinbike.com. Trail markers are little white tags w/ black arrows, IIRC.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Sounds like you are smart enough to scope out lines on your own, just don't go riding over anything that you cannot see over!

Trail is pretty well marked, take a look at the maps posted at austinbike.com. Trail markers are little white tags w/ black arrows, IIRC.

Have fun!
    Scary thought, riding off a cliff Should I wear my full armored leathers for the motorcycle?

I wouldn't say I'm smart enough lol, but I'll treat this as a slow scouting ride for my own sake.

Solo riding is kind of risky I suppose, but I have to take some risks if I want to ride more.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Scary thought, riding off a cliff Should I wear my full armored leathers for the motorcycle?

I wouldn't say I'm smart enough lol, but I'll treat this as a slow scouting ride for my own sake.

Solo riding is kind of risky I suppose, but I have to take some risks if I want to ride more.
    Just look before you ride. Simple, right? There are no cliffs, but some things that you'd have a tough time pulling off tryin to roll if you don't take the right line.

mtbr member
    Hi all, noticed "Steiner Ranch" in this thread and I live in Steiner. I'm a new rider, I've owned my bike for 3 weeks but have been riding the trails almost daily. Well, 2 trails, I still don't know where most are yet. I'm not a good rider, I'm not in great shape yet but if someone wants to ride with someone in Steiner or near Steiner (not on major roads like 620), I'd be happy to go! Send me a msg and I can give you my email and/or cell number.

also, if there are any groups out there that are for beginners, please let me know.
    Started in 2011, Noob Rider - Live & ride in Steiner Ranch- I ride slow- @ 6-11mph, [email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0