reveille peak

Printable View

• 10-24-2011
    reveille peak
    may have a couple of days to hit up austin and around next week. Anyone ride this park/trails yet? How is it? worth the drive from austin? thanks.
  • 10-25-2011
    keithrad
    Awesome trails! Even worth the drive from Ft.Worth...Go hit'em up!! You can search here in the Texas threads for a video. Try super d race for your search
  • 10-25-2011
    CharacterZero
    What kind of bike are you bringing?

RPR is a great destination, honestly. I've invested a lot of time and sweat equity out there, so I am a bit biased, but the place is going to keep on growing and progressing the local scene, thanks to good owners and volunteer builders.

The Upper & Lower loops are good XC/AM with good slickrock riding in spots. Technical trails that are in and out of the woods.
    Super D line starts at the top and runs into the XC lower loop. It is also fun and you can pop out where it meets the XC line, pedal 10min up the fireroad and be back at the top.
    There is also now a pump track on site that is fun as well.

If you haven't ridden in Austin before, I'd suggest finding a tour guide/ride call for barton creek green belt in town - the best technical local riding and the real flavor of Austin. City Park is much tougher and Walnut Creek is much easier, so find what suits you best. PaceBend Park just outside of town is a good flowing loop with some techy spots and some wooden features to play on too.

RPR is different from the rest of the Austin trails though...just different terrain creates different options/environment.
  • 10-25-2011
    thanks, CharacterZ-
    I've got a Transition Covert set-up with plenty of squish(150/160) cuz it sees Cali trails and PacNwest. I hate climbing and it's set up 1X9 with a road cluster so I'm fine with walking it up but I have a Spesh SX 4X set up SS with 100/100 ..pump trackable!

use to race Texas quite a bit back in the day (early 90s) so familiar with City Prk and greenbelt but honestly haven't ridden them in years! I'm actually looking forward to Reveille Peak from your description. If there is more to it than an "XC" line in spots I'm all for it. I know one's definition of xc and am can get a bit blurred depending on what part of the globe you're comparing! I guess for me ..if i have to drop my seat on a line then it's AM enough for me!

it does seem to offer quite a bit more than the usual. to be honest I ride my bike where there's dirt and I'm good. How long are the loops?
  • 10-25-2011
    keithrad
    Here's a link to character's post with the video
    http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/video-r...-a-682715.html
  • 10-25-2011
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Here's a link to character's post with the video
    http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/video-r...-a-682715.html

that was great! it's fullface worthy in alot of spots! I'm all in on that trail!
    thanx for the replies, gentlemen!
  • 10-25-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    thanks, CharacterZ-
    I've got a Transition Covert set-up with plenty of squish(150/160) cuz it sees Cali trails and PacNwest. I hate climbing and it's set up 1X9 with a road cluster so I'm fine with walking it up but I have a Spesh SX 4X set up SS with 100/100 ..pump trackable!

use to race Texas quite a bit back in the day (early 90s) so familiar with City Prk and greenbelt but honestly haven't ridden them in years! I'm actually looking forward to Reveille Peak from your description. If there is more to it than an "XC" line in spots I'm all for it. I know one's definition of xc and am can get a bit blurred depending on what part of the globe you're comparing! I guess for me ..if i have to drop my seat on a line then it's AM enough for me!

it does seem to offer quite a bit more than the usual. to be honest I ride my bike where there's dirt and I'm good. How long are the loops?

Covert is plenty for the SuperD. Really, it is pretty tight/fast/techy for the first .8mi, then joins the lower XC stuff, but the elevation is well used in that portion. The vid is here: Reveille Peak Ranch - Super-D on Vimeo (that showcases the entire SuperD run, but the work me and my crew did was up to the 3:30 minute mark IIRC). That is my buddy Rob riding and my editing.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/19354076?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Here is what is there of the pump track:
    Build:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27295193?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ride/test day:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30752433?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

edit: I see others beat me to some of this. thanks guys! I've been training to take on a new job in work, and it is super detrimental to my post count here...
  • 10-25-2011
    utsamtber
    that place looks awesome! Characterzero, are you the same guy from clubfrontier? Im allaboutatv on clubfrontier, I talked to a guy a few years back with the same screen name.
  • 10-26-2011
    bitewerks
    Is the flowtrack complete? Been waiting for a video of it being ridden to be posted on RPR facebook page but haven't seen any updates since it was announced.

Definitely want to check RPR out this fall. Need to get a pair of kneepads first. Is ther any sections that can't be hiked? I've got a hardtail (Evil Sovereign), some of that chunky rock looks jarring.....
  • 10-26-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Is the flowtrack complete? Been waiting for a video of it being ridden to be posted on RPR facebook page but haven't seen any updates since it was announced.

Definitely want to check RPR out this fall. Need to get a pair of kneepads first. Is ther any sections that can't be hiked? I've got a hardtail (Evil Sovereign), some of that chunky rock looks jarring.....

1. Flowtrack is not anywhere near completion. It shouldn't really be promoted yet.
    2. 661 Kyle Straits are good pads for $30ish on sale. There is much rock out there, the SuperD showcases the fastest/chunkyest of it. Everything is walkable
  • 10-28-2011
    keithrad
    I hit the deck more times on that upper loop section than in the last 2 years riding. I would feel more confident with some knee pads for sure!
  • 11-06-2011
    keylay
    Went out for the first time this past weekend. If anything, the trail map and trail markers need to be done better. I personally, had a hard time reading it. Ended up meeting up with another rider who was lost, used a iPhone to get locations and trail maps. We ended up walking over a ridge to get to where we wanted to be.
  • 11-06-2011
    hunrugger
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    that was great! it's fullface worthy in alot of spots! I'm all in on that trail!
    thanx for the replies, gentlemen!

Not to get too off topic. I'm interested to hear your thoughts regarding your Covert and our area trails.

I am leaning towards the Covert for my next bike. It will be replacing a 2007 Chumba XCL. No problems with the Chumba, but when it blows I am definitely not going to purchase from them. Having owned bits and wheels from Transition I have been very pleased with their product and most importantly their attitude and appreciation for the customer. Wondering though if the Covert is over kill or if the Bandit is enough. I ride the more technical and stuff, not the XC stuff so much. I like dropping/hucking alot more than climbing.

So, when you ride the Covert here, please let me know what your thoughts are. I would run it with a 140, FWIW.

Oh yea, RPR is friggin awesome!
  • 11-06-2011
    Hang 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keylay View Post
    Went out for the first time this past weekend. If anything, the trail map and trail markers need to be done better. I personally, had a hard time reading it. Ended up meeting up with another rider who was lost, used a iPhone to get locations and trail maps. We ended up walking over a ridge to get to where we wanted to be.

+1. Reveille Peak is a great place to ride, but they should have markers on the trail at intersections and every so often distance-wise that are correspondingly indicated on the map.

(I got lost my first time out there too :madman:. Was kinda fun though finding my way back :thumbsup:)
  • 03-08-2012
    adamm3
    hunrugger,

Not sure if you bought a bike or not yet....but I ride a Covert and I am about to move back to Austin from Tahoe...but I can share some thoughts. I originally had it with 160mm on front and then moved to 150mm last year to shave some weight. It steepened the head angle and made the bike less confident on the DH. I would NOT put a 140mm on a Covert. You are talking probably a 68+ head angle. At that point i think the balance of the bike will not be good. The Bandit will give you 68 out of the box with a 140mm on front. If I had to start over for Austin...I would do the bandit for Austin.
  • 03-15-2012
    DeeEffDub
    Second what Hang said...tons of fun and very challenging but needs to be marked better...don't miss riding this trail.
  • 05-14-2012
    Redaggie03
    I just did RPR this weekend for the first time. We had a very nice time. I agree that things need to be marked better as we did not find the main facility until after our runs were done and we were told we were doing it all wrong, lol. We found the trails on Strava when we were in the area and just drove over there hoping to find a state park or a check in...Nothing. So anyway, we had a good time and said sorry for not following the rules and checked in after.

Flow is open...It's pretty intense if you go too fast. I have the cuts and bruises to prove it. haha.
  • 05-14-2012
    chuckie33
    I was living in Austin in early 2011 when these were being built/developed and got to do a few of the sneak peak rides to help break in the trails. Also rode the first 6 hour race out there. There is some incredible biking in/around Austin, but I would rank Reveille Peak as my #1 which is saying a lot since there are so many great trails in the area. I am moving back to TX, to Dallas, next month so hoping to make a few weekend trips here every now and then. Can't comment on the markings these days since I haven't ridden it since March 2011, but there are lots of different off shoots and routes so I can see somebody not knowing there way getting confused very easily.
  • 05-14-2012
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    I was living in Austin in early 2011 when these were being built/developed and got to do a few of the sneak peak rides to help break in the trails. Also rode the first 6 hour race out there. There is some incredible biking in/around Austin, but I would rank Reveille Peak as my #1 which is saying a lot since there are so many great trails in the area. I am moving back to TX, to Dallas, next month so hoping to make a few weekend trips here every now and then. Can't comment on the markings these days since I haven't ridden it since March 2011, but there are lots of different off shoots and routes so I can see somebody not knowing there way getting confused very easily.

Were you part of the people that volunteered to hammer out the Super D run? If so, kudos (again).
    Welcome back to TX and you are right, RPR is a primo destination.
  • 05-15-2012
    chuckie33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Were you part of the people that volunteered to hammer out the Super D run? If so, kudos (again).
    Welcome back to TX and you are right, RPR is a primo destination.

I can't take credit for laying it out or doing much work on it, but I did ride it in its beginning to help pack the trail down. That's a great run. There was one line near the top that I never got up the nerve to try but hopefully will next time I'm out there. Also love that nice little 2-3 ft. drop there. Plenty of advanced lines at RPR to keep you satisfied, as well as beginner lines.