Return of a new guy...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Return of a new guy...

Howdy fellow Texans. A few years back I was working in Afghanistan and bought a new Haro Flightline 2 while home on vacation. Back in 2013 I came home permanently but didn't really ride as much as I should have. Ultimately I sold the bike and that was that.
    A few days ago I traded for a used, (circa 2000), Kona Blast that is in great shape. I will primarily be riding on the jogging trails in and around our neighborhood in Katy. As an older guy, (48), and a beginner I don't have the skills...yet...to do much else.
    Eventually I would like to improve and make my way to some of the trails around town and even some of the state parks in the hill country.

As a beginner what should I be doing and where would be some good places to ride that won't get me killed?

Also, where can I find info on the various riding styles like singletrack, downhill, etc... I'm not exactly sure what they are and what the differences are. I just want to get on my bike and ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgringo View Post
    Howdy fellow Texans. A few years back I was working in Afghanistan and bought a new Haro Flightline 2 while home on vacation. Back in 2013 I came home permanently but didn't really ride as much as I should have. Ultimately I sold the bike and that was that.
    A few days ago I traded for a used, (circa 2000), Kona Blast that is in great shape. I will primarily be riding on the jogging trails in and around our neighborhood in Katy. As an older guy, (48), and a beginner I don't have the skills...yet...to do much else.
    Eventually I would like to improve and make my way to some of the trails around town and even some of the state parks in the hill country.

As a beginner what should I be doing and where would be some good places to ride that won't get me killed?

Also, where can I find info on the various riding styles like singletrack, downhill, etc... I'm not exactly sure what they are and what the differences are. I just want to get on my bike and ride it.
    Watch the gmbn videos on YouTube, tons of great information. I have learned a lot there. Also, search bkxc on YouTube, he is building a great channel and will provide you with lots of motivation.

Im 44 and just got back into the game myself.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im going to past my reply to a prior Houston thread started earlier but it has alot of information on local trails. Houston Trails overall are not overally technical but improve in challenge as your speed improves. They weekly group rides at cypress creek and cypresswood on the weekends are a great starting point.

From a prior post
    Welcome! I am a Houston transplant as well so i feel your pain. There are a few trails here in the city. No real climbing to be found (obviously), but surprisingly flowy and high speed. More of a cross-country blend. I ride the trails on anything from my rigid single speed to a 140 29er.

If your looking for rocks and technical texas Hill country is a nice day trip away (think austin/san An). Ledge short technical climbs and drops provides a good challenge.

I'll refer you to a few different places. Most the major trails have active facebook pages with weekly group rides to help you find the flow. Most are 10-13 miles long at faster average.

Greater Houston Off-Road Biking Association
    Local organizer, lists all the regional trails and a short description.

Cypress Creek (Northwest)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CCMTB/
    Cypress Creek Facebook group (up north). One of the larger active trails. Fast, flow, not alot of roots. Located nearby and similar but slightly tighter is cypresswood.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/257582277543/

Memorial Park (Inner Loop)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/MPmtb/
    located in the heart of houston. Rooty trail, one of the most technical for houston. High traffic though as there are alot of runners as it a popular park.

Anthills (I10 West)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/534322359952442/
    Located in the bayous, fun, rooty, short steep climbs, small drops. Personal favorite.

There is also some outside trails such as jack brooks, huntsville up north as well as double lake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I know you are in Houston, but if you ever decide to come to Austin, here's a good resource.