Reputable Carbon Wheel Builder Reco Needed in McKinney/Plano/North DFW Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Reputable Carbon Wheel Builder Reco Needed in McKinney/Plano/North DFW Area

Hi all,
    New to the area, and I bought a 2018 Camber Expert 29 earlier this year when the new 19ís started to land. Carbon Front triangle with Roval carbon wheels. The last bit about the wheels is what this thread is about, but before I go there - this bike rips, and was a huge change for me versus the 2010 Trek Fuel Iíve been ripping around on for what might as well be a decade.

Anyway, I have read horror stories about the wheels. Broken spokes, damaged carbon wheels, horrid washer countermeasures, etc... so needless to say Iím following manufacturer recommended maintenance to a T. I know that carbon set ups typically run lower spoke tension since so much of the strength is in the wheel, but it is driving me nuts always having to check spoke tension.

Just past 100 miles, I had been watching spoke tension and knew it was time to have the spokes checked and retentioned. I could actually hear the spokes flexing on each other when I would lay the bike down to carve at lower speeds and when I would really mash my pedals.

I noted that one of the spokes wasn't even hand tight when I took my wheels off into a local Specialized dealer. The wheels were retentioned with a tension gauge to manufacturer spec. They didnít say anything was abnormal when they returned the wheels to me. Humph.

Fast forward a bit, and Iím at just over 300 miles now. As I finished rides, Iíve continued to monitor spoke tension and balance as necessary without going anywhere near over kill with tightening (I grew up riding BMX, so itís no big deal to me). I figure Iím probably due to have the wheels looked out again because the wheels are again making noise when I carve and when I hammer.

So, I figure it is time to protect my investment and go to a wheel builder that will work their magic... pull all the tension out of every single spoke and re-distribute the force equally around the wheel using anti-seize paste, secret tricks, etc to make sure nipples donít begin to loosen and I end up with loose or damaged spokes.

Who has had wheels built locally by someone who services the pros, has experience with carbon, and stands by their work? Please help! TIA!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you want to drive to Fort Worth, Brian Buell at Bonzai Cycle Werx is who you're looking for. You can ask on the DORBA facebook if there is someone closer to you if you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the referral. Iím willing to drive if I need to, but was hoping to find a new go-to local spot. Not sure how active this part of the board is, so I may have to look a little more local.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know they're plenty of bike shops in Dallas but don't know any specific wheel builders out there. The DORBA page is a good resource, lots of people on there and get a lot more activity than here.

Hitching a ride
    Here's the specs I could find:

Rims Roval Traverse 29, hookless carbon, 30mm inner width, 24/28 hole, tubeless ready, hand-built
    Hubs Front: Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 100x15mm, 24 hole
    Rear: Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings,142x12mm, 28 hole
    Spokes DT Swiss Industry, stainless, 3-cross, 2.0"

Seems odd they're still using 142 hubs in 2018.