Relocating from Colorado to the Austin area. Help!- Mtbr.com
    3WP
    Funkifized

Relocating from Colorado to the Austin area. Help!

OK. So with some reluctancy I accepted an job in the Austin area. I'm moving in the February timeframe from Colorado. My reluctancy stems from my recreational pursuits like mountain biking, snowboarding, climbing, trail running and anything outdoors. I hear Austin is great and something about hill country but Im concerned about what the riding is like. Ok I know Im not going to go snowboarding anymore, I can swallow that but hows the mtn biking?? I just got done with an off season build and hoping to still put it to good use. Hook a brother up with some good news I hope. Let me know.

Thanks, D

mtbr.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I moved from Colorado to Houston years ago and as fun as it is up there there are still some great trails in your area.diffrent but still fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I moved from Austin to Durango almost four years ago, and though we have world class riding here, there are places in Austin I really miss.

First and foremost is City Park, (or Emma Long park). It's about six and a half miles of pure, brutal fun. It has hort steep climbs, loose rocks, limestone stair steps (up and down) big enough to take teeth off the big ring. If you can beat a 35 minute lap there, you can ride fast anywhere (well, except on that crazy North Shore stuff.) There isn't anything like it in Durango, and I don't know of any place on the front range either. It's ledgy and rocky like Porcupine Rim, but it's all super tight singletrack cutting through the cedar trees, and there are no long hills.

I'll let other people tell you about their favorite trails. Austin has a lot to offer.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Austin, as you know or soon will, has no serious elevation like Durango. Our climbing is short, steep, and usually technical. Many of the trails are also technical with embedded rock and ledges abounding. We also have some smooth Blackland Prairie soil that makes for some fast stuff.

For some organized (loosely, that is) rides, check out www.bikemojo.com/speak and go to the Austin VooDoo forum.

D

3WP
    Funkifized
    Ok so Im feeling a bit better about this move now. Thanks for the info and replies. I encourage all the input as possible. Checked Mojo out. Looks like the place to hook up for rides. Thanks again and hope to see "yall" out on the trails soon.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3WP
    Checked Mojo out. Looks like the place to hook up for rides. Thanks again and hope to see "yall" out on the trails soon.
    The Austin Mojo's will get you hooked up. Look forward to seeing you 'round.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Mtc
    mtbr member
    That looks like alot of bike for ATX. There is a crowd that rides the "big" squishys, but they are slowly coming to the XC dark side.
    Oh before you come could you please randomly choose 5 people from CA and send them back. Nothing personal CA people, but when will this influx stop?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    Oh before you come could you please randomly choose 5 people from CA and send them back. Nothing personal CA people, but when will this influx stop?
    HAHAHAH! LOL!

Dec 2006
    I will be relocating from eastern Washington State to Austin in the near future myself. I've been in contact with the Austin Ridge Runners and they hooked me up with this site for a view of Austin area mountain biking. Check it out.

http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Took these just a couple of days ago. I think the same day Colorado was shut down because of snow or something like that.

City Park and the 29er

On the 5 spot

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ
    Took these just a couple of days ago. I think the same day Colorado was shut down because of snow or something like that.

City Park and the 29er

On the 5 spot

Your new Spider 29 gave it to the Three B i t c h e s!

Speaking of being snow, that's the day we were riding the Gov't Cheese
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Oct 2006

Austin Trade-offs

Trade your snow board time for wake board time (which would have a longer season here), snow ski to water ski and you'd just have to travel further in Texas to get to "mountains" for "Mountain" biking.

But of course, traveling to get from one place to another here in Texas is measured in half days (to the coast, Dallas) or days (to Big Bend, Mexico).

Enjoy what you have whereever you go and you will not be sad.

Cheers, Pixelman57

mtbr member
    plenty of trail running and lots of rock climbing in and around Austin, too! I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    carpe diem..........

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Smile Other trails you can day trip from Austin

Rocky Hill Ranch, about 45 minutes East, will give you a total of 1200 feet of climbing (and descending) over about an 18-20 mile loop. (as per my GPS)

Flat Rock (Comfort, Texas) 1.5 hours Southwest Lots of milage and technical terrain.

Canyon Lake 1 hour South - The Madrone trail is only about 8 miles long, but is worth the drive if you like technical rock crawling.

Government Canyon (San Antonio) 2 hours South, is another challenging place to ride that will offer quite a bit of climbing and descending over loose and embedded rock.

Muleshoe - close enough to Austin to be considered local.

Cameron Park (Waco) - often used for NORBA national events.

Members who have read this thread: 0