Recco for first time Frisco area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recco for first time Frisco area

I'm a skilled rider on a borrowed old bike looking to experience some Texas dirt. Brought my helmet and other riding gear. Limited only by an old borrowed bike and some flat pedals. Any trail reccos? Thinking about Rowlett.
    thank you
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dorba.org has the list of open trails in the area. Might as well go to Big Cedar, worth the drive and the best trail in the area IMO.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Big Cedar is a drive, but neither Frisco nor Rowlett Creek will hold a candle to it.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another +1 for Big Cedar. It's the best this area has to offer. Also check out Boulder, I really enjoy that trail. It has a bit more flow to it than Big Cedar in my opinion. Frisco, Rowlett, Erwin are all very flat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    For climbing, Big Cedar and Boulder are where you want to go around here. If you're ever around when Northshore isn't flooded, it's a good trail too.

Rowlett Creek Preserve is my home trail, it's a good trail, has a little of everything. If you ride 7,12,13 and 14 you get more of an intermediate trail with some drops and short climbs, the rest of the trail is flat, like others said, with small variance in elevation here and there. Some roots, some rocks, switchbacks. Some features on the north side (loop 10 for instance) were eroded out due to recent storms, so Glen's Wall and the "Roller Coaster" sections aren't there any more until we do a reroute.

If you're gonna ride any time soon, I'm available in the evenings around 5pm. Shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by mark!; 07-11-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I wound up going to the Frisco NW Community trails (it was close). Yes, it was flat (with some pretty nice views), but the heat, sun exposure, and pushing around my bro-in-laws older POS without working gears SS style didn't make it easy. Plus, I was able to get the skinny on other area trails for the future (seems there's a concensus on Big Cedar).

Next time (which happens to be tomorrow - but for work 2 days) I'll post up a little earlier and probably rent.

mtbr member
    How long are you going to be in town? I'm Going to either Erwin Park or RCP early Saturday and you can join me if you would like. I also may have a bike you can ride. It's an older steel framed hardtail with XT/XTR and Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb forks. Or you can rent at Richardson Bike Mart.

If you have already left the holler at me next time you are in town.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Richardson rent idea. I actually went there to get some advice as my sis is only a few minutes on the west side of the tollway (Starwood). Hope to make it back in the fall.