Real riding in Austin Area- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

Real riding in Austin Area

Hey All,

I am currently in Southern CA but will most likely end up moving to Austin in the next year or two. Ive been trying to search this forum and the web in general to see if there is any real riding in that area. I know that there is a strong road and XC presence but im not really seeing or hearing much about the slightly more aggressive stuff. Im sure every trail is what you make of it but if somebody could let me know the real scoop, i would appreciate it. Leave the race rigs behind and keep the 6" and 5" bikes?

What's the scene like? Is there one?

Tom

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Hey Tom,

Austin has a good mountain bike scene. We have everything from hard packed tight trails to awesome technical imbedded limestone ledgy stuff with high pucker factors. I recommend checking the forum on www.bikemojo.com/speak called VooDoo, where the Austin MoJos hang and post rides. You'll definitely want a FS bike around here. Common frames are Titus, Hammerhead, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, etc.

As far as "free ride" and DH stuff, nope, we lack in that department. A couple of private ranches in the area have some 4-cross and stuff like that which are pay to ride. I recommend visiting to Austin with your bike or renting one from Bicycle Sport Shop and hooking up with some locals for a guided ride of the more technical stuff.

Dewayne

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Hey Tom,

Austin has a good mountain bike scene. We have everything from hard packed tight trails to awesome technical imbedded limestone ledgy stuff with high pucker factors. I recommend checking the forum on www.bikemojo.com/speak called VooDoo, where the Austin MoJos hang and post rides. You'll definitely want a FS bike around here. Common frames are Titus, Hammerhead, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, etc.

As far as "free ride" and DH stuff, nope, we lack in that department. A couple of private ranches in the area have some 4-cross and stuff like that which are pay to ride. I recommend visiting to Austin with your bike or renting one from Bicycle Sport Shop and hooking up with some locals for a guided ride of the more technical stuff.

Dewayne
    I sort of had the feeling this would be the case. Kind of a bummer...guess I could always pick up moto.

T.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    They is WAY more high quality, technical, ass kicking Mountain Bike terrain near Austin than dirt bike terrain. Check it out, it'll surprise you. BTW, there is essentially NO public land in Texas. 2% or something. The riding in Austin is among the best in the country for being in such an urban environment.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    The riding in Austin is among the best in the country for being in such an urban environment.

shhh!

BTW, I hear that Idaho ain't bad either.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    shhh!

BTW, I hear that Idaho ain't bad either.
    I hear they have some peckerwoods up there though.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden down in Austin but the most hills in the state are located in the Austin area. If it's elevation changes, the best you'll see is in the Hill Country in the Austin area. Most other areas are flat flat flat.

h-town hucker
    theres Twin Parks in Dripping Springs. there's 9th street in downtown, and city park. there's tons of urban stuff in downtown too.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    On re-reading the post, it's interesting how he inferred that r**d and XC cycling aren't "real riding."

Tom,

You're correct. There isn't really any riding in the central Texas area. It really sucks butt. I recommend trying Colorado and Utah for more serious aggressive stuff.

D

Mtc
    mtbr member
    The riding here sucks, now come pick up a couple thousand of your CA buddies and take them back with you. Don't listen to any of these guys its lame here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    /\ word
    |
    |
    |

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We have mountains here in Hell Paso.. We have the BEST freeriding in texass and years more building on the way.. Austin has no mountains , pretty but no mtns.. Those guys dont know what they are talkin bout yo.. Come to Hell Paso for some SICK riding.. We are just the bastard children over here.. Hell Paso area has the BEST trails in Texas for elevation and knarly riding..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Really should just move to amarillo, i hear palo duro is nice.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Yes go to El Paso, its the place to be in the TX cycling community!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    El Paso having 'mountains' is almost as much of a stratch as Bush having a brain...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    The riding here sucks, now come pick up a couple thousand of your CA buddies and take them back with you. Don't listen to any of these guys its lame here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    come on over and see for yourself.. I wouldnt talk smack like that.. you truly dont know what you are sayin..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    just driving thru there, you see what is a little mountain, if not, the biggest "hill" i have ever seen.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat111
    come on over and see for yourself.. I wouldnt talk smack like that.. you truly dont know what you are sayin..

just 'cause you are in West Texas, you think that everyone would have to 'come over'....

Ridit lives in Mountains north of you....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I've never understood how someone could live in a place yet still show such disdain for it. Oh well, their problem, not mine.

Yeah, move to El Paso, not Austin. It's more like New Mexico than Texas. We didn't even let El Paso use our time zone.

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bwahahahaha big knarly hills.. bwahahah

mtbr member
    May 2004
    really, austin is "hilly" ,shiat, it is the hill country.

lo que es el paso es mucho mas grande que tenemos aqui en austin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    small hills yo.. These hills have scared the s**t outta everyone thats ridden here.. Austin has great xc trail.. our XC line might maim you.. www.roughriderracing.org .. peace

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Trails suck, don't waste your time here...trust me.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004

We the people ...

Yeah, Mtc knows what's up. You don't want to move to Austin.

Though I think mountaingoat repects the technical riding in Austin, he's right that you should move to El Paso or Las Cruces.

amar la vida de dos niner

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Yeah, Mtc knows what's up. You don't want to move to Austin.

Though I think mountaingoat repects the technical riding in Austin, he's right that you should move to El Paso or Las Cruces.

Boys, boys.

We know our trails rock. (Pun intended.) But it's hard to describe their wonderfulness to someone who has never been here. And someone who is equipped for a certain terrain.

He'll have to experience them to see the light.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Boys, boys.

We know our trails rock. (Pun intended.) But it's hard to describe their wonderfulness to someone who has never been here. And someone who is equipped for a certain terrain.

He'll have to experience them to see the light.
    Clair! We're trying to get people to STOP moving to the Austin area.

In exile
    All of the people in Austin will leg hump you on the trail too. Don't go there. Go to El Paso.

mtbr member
    I lived in LasCruces (40min from EP) for 3.5 years. I've been Austin the last 4 years.

I love riding in both places. I think the riding in EP is a bit more fun than Austin, but that's only when the wind isn't BLOOOOOWING. Longer climbs and descents.

It's ridiculously windy over there.

Austin is a MUCH better place to live. The riding can also be more technical than EP.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    I lived in LasCruces (40min from EP) for 3.5 years. I've been Austin the last 4 years.

I love riding in both places. I think the riding in EP is a bit more fun than Austin, but that's only when the wind isn't BLOOOOOWING. Longer climbs and descents.

It's ridiculously windy over there.

Austin is a MUCH better place to live. The riding can also be more technical than EP.
    Wes means that it's really windy in Austin and when it's not 130 degrees, it's snowing. We only live like 6 weeks of riding in Central TX. You won't like it here.

Jun 2006

Jesus....

So much for hoping for nicer people in Texas huh? When ever somebody asks me about riding in Southern CA, I let them know the general scoop and offer to show them around if they come.

As well, let me make a correction. Road and XC are both REAL riding, just not REALLY what Iím into right now. Iím more interested in the fast DH or All Mountain type of riding, thatís all I was saying. My real riding may be lame to somebody else and Vice Versa. To be honest, road riding scares the cr*p out of meÖ.no thank you. Not to mention, I look horrible in spandex. JK.

So please, loosen up and untwist ur panties. I meant no harm and have not purchased a ticket to Austin yet. Your area is safe from my HUGE population threat of qty 2.

Tom

P.S. Thank you to the people that took the time to PM me with something valuable.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Team HT Tom
    So much for hoping for nicer people in Texas huh? When ever somebody asks me about riding in Southern CA, I let them know the general scoop and offer to show them around if they come.

As well, let me make a correction. Road and XC are both REAL riding, just not REALLY what I’m into right now. I’m more interested in the fast DH or All Mountain type of riding, that’s all I was saying. My real riding may be lame to somebody else and Vice Versa. To be honest, road riding scares the cr*p out of me….no thank you. Not to mention, I look horrible in spandex. JK.

So please, loosen up and untwist ur panties. I meant no harm and have not purchased a ticket to Austin yet. Your area is safe from my HUGE population threat of qty 2.

Tom

P.S. Thank you to the people that took the time to PM me with something valuable.
    We are a little cynical here. You are welcome anytime. There is some techy XC stuff with some pretty decent pucker factor. It could be more puckery if you have an XC bike.

If you head this way, shoot me a PM.

Head to bikemojo and look for RobertJ. He moved to Austin from San Diego and it doesn't sound like he is moving back. I am sure he can give some good comparisons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just move to Austin and then you can visit here.. sometimes.. The best technical in Austin is maybe what beginner is here.. I didnt see anything there that scared me.. Here I get scared all the time, wahooo..

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat111
    just move to Austin and then you can visit here.. sometimes.. The best technical in Austin is maybe what beginner is here.. I didnt see anything there that scared me.. Here I get scared all the time, wahooo..
    That pretty much sums up that you don't know sh!t about Austin riding, and whoever gave you tips to the riding thought you were a chump.
    So, how does it feel to be clueless, after the fact?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    oooo.. why i have ridden there , you can have it.. They threw all they had at us , whoopee , it was a joke.. Your techy trails suck.. The xc trails are awesome.. All of cali should move there.. I have friends there and they say the techy crap sucks too..The 9th st. jumps are the best thing over there.. peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Guys, guys, guys, 35 posts and nobody gave him a URL to check out the local trails??

I guess I have to pimp it myself:

http://www.austinbike.com

Go there and all will be explained.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Im coming!

Hey all,

Im moving to Austin in early April. (I started this post as "Team HT Tom" but I forgot the email and login for that one. Pardon the cheesey screen name).

I dont want to have a bunch of down time when I get there so anyone that is willing to play tour guide for a little bit...I would appreicate it very much.

Im at your mercy so PM me if you are ok with an Austin newb tagging along?

Peace,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MachT SBF
    Hey all,

Im moving to Austin in early April. (I started this post as "Team HT Tom" but I forgot the email and login for that one. Pardon the cheesey screen name).

I dont want to have a bunch of down time when I get there so anyone that is willing to play tour guide for a little bit...I would appreicate it very much.

Im at your mercy so PM me if you are ok with an Austin newb tagging along?

Peace,
    Tom

Tom, I am required, by karma, to be the official tour guide for Austin.

I will be in Asia the first week of April, but should be in town for most of the remainder of the month.

PM me any time you want to go riding, and check out BikeMojo for regular rides:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Tom, I am required, by karma, to be the official tour guide for Austin.

I will be in Asia the first week of April, but should be in town for most of the remainder of the month.

PM me any time you want to go riding, and check out BikeMojo for regular rides:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I appreciate it man, very much. I will hit you up on PM when im all settled in.

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Cool. I am on bikemojo every day and on mtbr every other week or so, so PM on bikemojo works the best

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

If the replies in here throw up the ball-breaking flag for you, stay where you are.

We're far, far, worse in person! So bad in fact, other riders come here to complain about us.

CAK

Jan 2004

Moved from SoCal to Houston....

Tom,

I feel your pain. I moved from SoCal (Santa Clarita) to Houston. MTB'ing was a huge part of my life that I had to give up for a better life for my family. My job transferred me to Houston and I'm in an incredible area that I love (KingwoodÖ think Big Bear and pine forest) just no riding. I work in the Austin area all the time and have friends and Family in Austin (Round Rock).

No matter what they tell you they will NEVER and I mean NEVER have anything in Austin that even compares to SoCal. Before moving my main rig was a Giant Reign fully outfitted. Would ride out, down my street and climb a 5k foot mountain. The climb was the easy part; the single track down was the real fun. Since you bring up moto you know about arm pump...thatís the kind of riding I'm talking about. It's not going to happen in Austin. Austin has some rolling stuff but extremely tame by SoCal standards.

Regarding the attitudes youíve received from other members of this board, there is a definite ďif you weren't born here, youíre not a real TexanĒ scene going on which is especially demonstrated towards Californians which is unfortunate, but a reality. Yes allot of Californians are moving to Texas for a better life for family but Iíve seen just as many if not more out-of-state plates not to mention hoards of transplanted Texans that moved to Austin (but thatís ok).

As far as the City of Austin is concerned, traffic is ridiculous and only getting worse and I donít care how many toll roads they build (think of the 405 going through Downtown LA). Itíll be grossly congested in the next ten years as they basically are building Austin up and down one corridor. Not to mention some nasty pollen issues with Cedars and kind of a dusty landscape the more north you go. Iím not trying to talk you out of it, but itís not as sweet as the media hypes it up to be.

Bottom line, if it's a good move for you and family, do it. Just don't get stuck on the whole "Austin" thing. Keep your options open, research and go from there.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    CAK, respectfully, I am going to go on a limb here and challenge you:

I assume from your post that you know NOTHING about the 'real' riding in Austin.

I live in the Tetons, and ride all over the world. Every state, 9 european countries, most provinces in Canada, Chile, Argentina, and I have a Mt. Bike tour company in Peru...
    And I will say on the record that Austin riding ROCKS.

No, it is not 'big limb-big descent' riding, but AFIK, I think it is one of the best (big) cities, riding wise, in the USA. I lived in SoCal, NorCal, Front Range, Western Slope, etc...and for an urban area, the riding in Austin is GREAT. But, the good stuff is little known, and I will leave it at that.
    Vancouver, OTOH, is probably the best riding locale in the world, all things considered.

The Tetons actually have no trails to speak of, so tell your friends.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    Tom,

I feel your pain. I moved from SoCal (Santa Clarita) to Houston.

You lost me at Houston....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

CAK

Jan 2004

I'm talking about the riding he is accustomed to...

Rideit,

With all due respect, I'm not challenging you on your knowledge of the area. I completely understand about the "little known" riding. I lived in Socal for 32 years, trust me... the best riding there is the same way. Unless you've lived there for a substantial amount of time you wouldn't know about it. Just drawing a direct comparison, the best riding in Austin cant compare- it's a topography thing and there's nothing we can do to change it. And yes Austin has lots of ROCKS

I know there is some pretty technical stuff in Austin with some better stuff a drive away but the shear elevation changes you have in SoCal push the limits.

As far as Texas and mountain bikes, Austin, I think is one or two of the best places to live if your coming from California and you have to ride. I just don't want Tom disillusioned.

BikeMojo, I choose Houston based on other factors that outweighed riding, unfortunately but a reality. Houston gets a bad rap but like any big city it's all based on location. There are good parts and there are not so good parts- just like Austin, Los Angeles, Montana, Colorado etc. My passion for riding has not stopped, as you can see I still lurk MTBR. I guess you could say it's on hiatus for awhile. Good riding is just going to take more effort than I'm used to and allot more driving.

Rideit, can you PM more information regarding your tours. I wouldn't mind a "Best of Texas" adventure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tom,

I feel your pain. I moved from SoCal (Santa Clarita) to Houston. MTB'ing was a huge part of my life that I had to give up for a better life for my family. My job transferred me to Houston and I'm in an incredible area that I love (Kingwood… think Big Bear and pine forest) just no riding. I work in the Austin area all the time and have friends and Family in Austin (Round Rock).

No matter what they tell you they will NEVER and I mean NEVER have anything in Austin that even compares to SoCal. Before moving my main rig was a Giant Reign fully outfitted. Would ride out, down my street and climb a 5k foot mountain. The climb was the easy part; the single track down was the real fun. Since you bring up moto you know about arm pump...that’s the kind of riding I'm talking about. It's not going to happen in Austin. Austin has some rolling stuff but extremely tame by SoCal standards.

Regarding the attitudes you’ve received from other members of this board, there is a definite “if you weren't born here, you’re not a real Texan” scene going on which is especially demonstrated towards Californians which is unfortunate, but a reality. Yes allot of Californians are moving to Texas for a better life for family but I’ve seen just as many if not more out-of-state plates not to mention hoards of transplanted Texans that moved to Austin (but that’s ok).

As far as the City of Austin is concerned, traffic is ridiculous and only getting worse and I don’t care how many toll roads they build (think of the 405 going through Downtown LA). It’ll be grossly congested in the next ten years as they basically are building Austin up and down one corridor. Not to mention some nasty pollen issues with Cedars and kind of a dusty landscape the more north you go. I’m not trying to talk you out of it, but it’s not as sweet as the media hypes it up to be.

Bottom line, if it's a good move for you and family, do it. Just don't get stuck on the whole "Austin" thing. Keep your options open, research and go from there.

ACK,

Im aware that I am leaving a great area for riding, I can only make the best of what is in Austin. One of the guys I race w/ here in CA just moved back to Dallas and he said there is some pretty good riding in TX...I'll take his word for it. Im going to keep the DH rig for the NM NORBA and a couple other DH races I know of. Other than that...its time to build up a 5" bike. Riding is riding man.

Regarding the attidude? Meh, I could care less. I wouldnt expect everyone to be all warm and fuzzy about a bunch of Californians moving into town..most of them suck. I moved here (Los Angeles) from Boston about 6 years ago, i certainly dont consider myself a "Californian" I have thicker skin than most so a few dissuading posts from locals wont turn the moving van around. Also, the last time I checked, I wasnt moving to Texas to be a "real Texan". The little lady grew up in TX and we both got/have job opportunities there. We looked at other areas and we liked Austin the best. The people and vibe seem to be about 1000 times better than here.

Who cares about traffic and pollen. There is traffic in/around any major city...just the way it goes. When was the last time you tried to drive anywhere here? THIS is ridiculous. Took me 25 min to get from my office to my apartment. Its 1.3 miles away.

Ok im done.
    Last edited by TireSideDown; 03-02-2007 at 09:14 AM.

CAK

Jan 2004

The attitude...

Tom,

The attitude doesn't bother me either, just an observation. You seemed irritated by the lack of help first offered by your responce of "So much for hoping for nicer people in Texas huh? When ever somebody asks me about riding in Southern CA, I let them know the general scoop and offer to show them around if they come".

Either way you look at it, it is 1000x's better than Los Angeles. Good luck in Austin!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tom,

The attitude doesn't bother me either, just an observation. You seemed irritated by the lack of help first offered by your responce of "So much for hoping for nicer people in Texas huh? When ever somebody asks me about riding in Southern CA, I let them know the general scoop and offer to show them around if they come".

Either way you look at it, it is 1000x's better than Los Angeles. Good luck in Austin!

Word.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Rideit,
    I know there is some pretty technical stuff in Austin with some better stuff a drive away
    Wrong.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Well, there IS comfort!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    People in austin are not bad at all and there is always someone to ride with.

Lots of trails everywhere. I think it might be impossible to drive 25 minutes and still be in austin. It's small in relative terms

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Well, there IS comfort!
    Pffft!.....yeah, and he didn't specify how far to drive. Drive long enough and you may find something better than what is .2 miles away from where I'm sitting.

Apr 2006
    i guess we're just unworthy of socal assho!es (^) moving here, i suppose that means we lucked out

CAK

Jan 2004

Wow...

You guys are a bit sensitive but I love the labels. Maybe it's the assho!e SoCaler's that are unworthy of the Red Neck Texan's.

People, Just Ride.

mtbr member

Hmmm...

I think the "Karma" in this thread means I'm going to have to step up as the trail
    guide for Tom.

Relax, Tom. It's all good! Right guys?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

CAK

Jan 2004

Good Point...

I think the "Karma" in this thread means I'm going to have to step up as the trail
    guide for Tom.

Relax, Tom. It's all good! Right guys?
    I think we can all agree it shouldn't matter where you came from; everyone on this board is here for a common reason, to ride bikes. It's too bad the mud slinging ensued but I think Patrick put it in perspective, thanks Patrick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    i guess we're just unworthy of socal assho!es (^) moving here, i suppose that means we lucked out

Where, in any of my posts, do I even suggest this?

Im done with this thread.

Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSideDown

Tom
    Awwww! Man!

Lookie what you guys gone and done.

I was gonna treat Tom to the best-of-the-best with the best-of-the-best. Now, he'll
    never see the best-of-the-best because he's "done with this thread" and there's no
    way to bring him back.

No way to convince him now that we're not ALL a s s h o l e s.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

Apr 2006

Tom

i wasnt talking to you, the ^ suggested i was talking to the person above me

Apr 2006
    You guys are a bit sensitive but I love the labels. Maybe it's the assho!e SoCaler's that are unworthy of the Red Neck Texan's.

People, Just Ride.
    thats what i said, if what your saying is in response to me saying the opposite

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Awwww! Man!
    No way to convince him now that we're not ALL a s s h o l e s.
    Aw fuggit.

It's said you must break some eggs when making an omelet, but you really don't have to make a damn thing if you're just breaking some eggs.

CAK

Jan 2004

Man...The Sarcasm Was Lost On You

Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    thatís what I said, if what your saying is in response to me saying the opposite
    If you read the first page of this thread there is no doubt a definite anti-Californian undertone, something about sending 1000's of Californian's back, etc. I was just stating the obvious in my very first post to this thread about attitudes, you and some others have validated it. My comment about Redneck's was purely in jest, maybe now you see how stupid it is to label people especially on a mountain bike message board.

As far as Tom is concerned, I was simply letting the guy know what to expect based on my personal knowledge of living in SoCal for 30 years and having done some riding in the Austin area. He seemed like a gravity type of rider, your not going to have the same descents here, period.

Done

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Done
    Still wrong:

"I know there is some pretty technical stuff in Austin with some better stuff a drive away"

Now you may go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I like pie

mtbr member
    I like pie
    You and your PIE! I've HAD IT! As far as I'm concerned, that was the final nail in the coffin!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    mmmmmm, coffin pie......

Chilling out
    Tom,

You're in trouble now.

With EP leading you by the nose I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Make sure your health insurance is paid up though.

In exile
    Tom, Patrick is older than dirt, but brutal. Mrwhlr is a young un, and I have never chased him, but hear he kicks ass. I should be in decent shape by April, so I have some folks with the goods on the hush hush. Patrick and Wheeler both have the goods on the hush hush too. Make sure Bear and Austin Bike are guides for you too. As far as Houston goes, I guess CAK can lead an urban hucker ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin bike rides too slow. Plus I hear he is never in town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thanks!

Austin bike rides too slow. Plus I hear he is never in town.

Thank you everyone for the help, im really looking forward to the new riding. Does anyone have the scoop on a really good shop in Austin? I am pretty hard on my equipment so if anyone knows of a great mehcanic, I would appreciate the referral.

Best,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    T if anyone knows of a great mehcanic, I would appreciate the referral.

Best,
    Tom
    Todd Flora, without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Todd Flora, without a doubt.
    Nice, what shop?

Tom

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Clay at Bicycle sport shop central.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Todd is at Ozone. Hammerhead is good for high end stuff too. Ozone is good and quick, Austin Bikes is good too, even if they tried to weasel in on my name

University is good, and freewheelin' in good. Can't think of too many bad shops.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Todd is at Ozone..
    No, he's not.

D

Mar 2007
    So, I'm back into the scene after a long time away. In 97 I moved to Austin from Northern VA. The riding there in the George Wash National Forest was epic at times. Long, lots of elevation, great views, little bike traffic, and pucker techy stuff. Like Moab but w/o the bike traffic, but with Mud and Trees. (flashback, 24 hours of caanan 1995)

Austin riding IMO is fast and angry. Trails can beat you up relative to what I can compare it to back east. But, my ability to go for epic rides with work, family is limited and I place a premium on accessible technical trails, which Austin has.

mtbr member
    Austin has great riding, but the challanges are a bit different from the West Coast. Try to ride fast when it is 100F + 95% humidity. It builds your character.

Feb 2006
    Ya I live here in Austin now but I did grow up in El Pisshole also... In the EP there is a place called devils back bone and a few others that are bad ass. Here in Austin its mostly cx technical

Feb 2006
    Ya I live here in Austin now but I did grow up in El Pisshole also... In the EP there is a place called devils back bone and a few others that are bad ass. Here in Austin its mostly cx technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I can't stand seeing austin people mislead others about austin. I recently moved to austin from San Francisco. If you're from California and are used to California mtb, you will be severely disappointed with austin area mountain biking, because, well..there are no mountains for one thing.

but you know that going in. you can expect to at least keep some sort of form going if you're biking around austin. but if you're used to california biking, and expect to bike at that level in austin or the surrounding hill country, prepare to be gravely disappointed.

the nice thing about the austin bike scene is that it's much less competitive than california (than nor-cal, anyway). lots of nice riders that just like to have a good time. which is very cool, in my opinion. but I'm glad I kept my condo in SF for frequent trips back to marin, santa cruz mountains (soquel forest), and of course the sierra (downieville downhill...the mutha of mtb).

now you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzger
    I can't stand seeing austin people mislead others about austin. I recently moved to austin from San Francisco. If you're from California and are used to California mtb, you will be severely disappointed with austin area mountain biking, because, well..there are no mountains for one thing.

but you know that going in. you can expect to at least keep some sort of form going if you're biking around austin. but if you're used to california biking, and expect to bike at that level in austin or the surrounding hill country, prepare to be gravely disappointed.

the nice thing about the austin bike scene is that it's much less competitive than california (than nor-cal, anyway). lots of nice riders that just like to have a good time. which is very cool, in my opinion. but I'm glad I kept my condo in SF for frequent trips back to marin, santa cruz mountains (soquel forest), and of course the sierra (downieville downhill...the mutha of mtb).

now you know.
    Well, yeah...now I know. I honestly didnt move here for the riding but im sure there enough here to keep me happy. riding is riding. I am two days into my move and its been figgin cold and rainy...word is that is was about 85 a week ago. I feel like im back in Boston! If anyone wants to play tour guide, i would love to get some riding in this weekend. Hit me up here or PM.

Thanks all.

Tom

mtbr member

You're right. We don't have the same type or quantity of trails as CA. And we don't have
    the same awesome vistas.

But Austin does have some of the most technical trails anywhere. Austin trails offer a
    challenging workout similar to weightlifting and gymnastics. If you're a long distance
    "runner", you're in for disappointment. There will be no 'find your rhythm, settle in and
    spin'. Well, you can get that on the [email protected]

One thing Austin has taught me is that as long as I can clean the techie sections here,
    I can clean just about anything anywhere!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    If anyone wants to play tour guide, i would love to get some riding in this weekend. Hit me up here or PM.

Thanks all.

Tom

OK - that was just some freak weather. Honestly.

Tom, I'm out for the next 2 weekends (doing that MS150 ride). But I'd be happy to hook up
    after that.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You're right. We don't have the same type or quantity of trails as CA. And we don't have
    He's also half-left - whining about a place he moved to, knowing it wouldn't satisfy him before he got there.

Funny thing about this; we can hang on any ride there is in CA, but they may get hurt trying the same coming out here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

one other thing, tom...

Well, yeah...now I know. I honestly didnt move here for the riding but im sure there enough here to keep me happy. riding is riding. I am two days into my move and its been figgin cold and rainy...word is that is was about 85 a week ago. I feel like im back in Boston! If anyone wants to play tour guide, i would love to get some riding in this weekend. Hit me up here or PM.

Thanks all.

Tom
    yeah, I certainly didn't move here for the riding either. lots of other great things about austin. it's just that mtb isn't necessarily one of them. but like i said, you can stay in shape and keep your form from getting too bad here for when you head back to CA, for example. Speaking of which, i was going to tell you (guess it may be too late), that with houses being so cheap in Austin, you can usually afford to buy a house in Austin and keep property back in CA for mtb excursions or just to escape the heat. next week, for example, is my beloved sea otter classic in monterey (www.seaotterclassic.com ). Multiple days of epic mtb racing and other fun stuff. I'm glad to be able to make it back for stuff like this. The austin rockier rides definitely help keep your technical chops up (as I think someone pointed out), but you don't get the prolonged climbs, so you have to supplement with road rides, if you want to keep in any kind of shape.

sorry about the weather.

MC Hammer
    moving to Austin next week as well, this thread has been pretty entertaining

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    http://www.downievilleclassic.com/

July 13-15.

Bring your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin isn't california. No matter how many californians come here. My family was in new orleans once and they were upset that there was no mcdonald's in the french quarter.

Stuff is what it is.

California has ~8% state income tax, right? They pay ~$1/gallon more for gas, right?

Having been all around the world I can honestly say that every place has its own charms and every place has its tradeoffs.

I happen to love austin trails, but if you really want to see REAL riding, go spend a week in Korea. Those trails will trump anything that california has to offer.

To each his own.

Got Mojo?
    \I am two days into my move and its been figgin cold and rainy...word is that is was about 85 a week ago.

Wait a day or two.... It will be 85 again this week.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Austin isn't california. No matter how many californians come here. My family was in new orleans once and they were upset that there was no mcdonald's in the french quarter.

Stuff is what it is.

California has ~8% state income tax, right? They pay ~$1/gallon more for gas, right?

Having been all around the world I can honestly say that every place has its own charms and every place has its tradeoffs.

I happen to love austin trails, but if you really want to see REAL riding, go spend a week in Korea. Those trails will trump anything that california has to offer.

To each his own.
    so we agree. california is #1, right?

Got Mojo?

Not having been to Cali....

And that explains all the Californians buying up Texas how?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry, but this whole TX pride getting stepped on by Californians is remeniscent of "my dad could beat up your dad anyday."

I feel stupid for even having re-visited this post.
    I think that Californians make TX a better place.

Just like TXans think that they make Colorado a more special place. And then the CO folk think they make AZ a cooler place, and the Zonies move to Cali.

mtbr member

California has ~8% state income tax, right?

God, I wish TX had a state income tax. That would mean that all employed residents would
    share the burden of paying for the goods and services that the state provides - as opposed
    to just the property owners, such as myself, getting bent over and dry-hump-raped every
    year; paying ridiculous property taxes to support systems that I have no vested interest in
    supporting.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    And that explains all the Californians buying up Texas how?
    clearly my use of absurdity has failed to have the desired effect of diffusing the animosity of the situation. In the words of mic jagger at the Altamont speedway circa 1969 after california hells angels stabbed a concert go'er to death..."people, people! everyone just cool out!".

come on people, now...don't make me quote other 60's era hippy tunes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    God, I wish TX had a state income tax. That would mean that all employed residents would
    share the burden of paying for the goods and services that the state provides - as opposed
    to just the property owners, such as myself, getting bent over and dry-hump-raped every
    year; paying ridiculous property taxes to support systems that I have no vested interest in
    supporting.
    Pat, then large developers out of Commiefornia would need another way to financially pressure you into selling them your land!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    http://www.downievilleclassic.com/

July 13-15.

Bring your bike.
    That site sucks picture-wise. Where are the rocks? This place open when the giant event [email protected] is over?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That site sucks picture-wise. Where are the rocks? This place open when the giant event [email protected] is over?
    yeah, the photos aren't that revealing. the rocks are implicit in the fact that you're biking straight down the sierra nevada mountain range. downieville actually comprises a pretty famous set of trails. It's one of the genesis sites for mountain biking, like the "re-pack" trail in marin, which is named for the fact that people have had literally re-pack their bearings after riding it. that's the lore, anyway.

downieville is always open. you can either bike up from downieville (which is basically just a bikeshop and a bar, which is all one really needs in life), or they have an old trippy school bus that runs you up to the top. if you bike up, you only have enough daylight for one run down, tho. whereas you can do multiple runs if you take the bus.

you can camp or stay in some nearby 'hostel-like' motels. I usually camp, as do most. probably some better photos on the web if you poke around. It's pretty fun.

another great place, if you ever visit northern california is henry coe state park near gilroy. it's something like 43,000 acres of mountain bike trails (it's where specialized, which is based near there, tests their new designs), and you can get up to 2000' of climbing. but in the late summer, it's pretty infested with tarantulas, which is a bit of a drag.

ok, now I'm bumming myself out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    here's a set of photos that give you a better idea of what it's like at downieville.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=downieville

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Metzger,
    I gotta know! With a place like that why the heck are you moving to Austin? Granted Austin is the best place in Texas that I have live in since I grew up in Dallas- too damn snobby and went to school in Houston which is the other end of the spectrum but there is a lot going on here in Austin that is nice. Lots of Activities but the Views in Donnieville remind me of some places in Colorado Springs- Epic. I just hope you can enjoy this place for what it is and then envite me to go on some of those trails. Man those are nice.
    Take care and Welcome,
    MCtigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Nope, nowhere is #1, every place has its unique qualities.

Patrick, what makes you think that if we has a state income tax your property taxes would go down? No government ever willingly gives up tax revenue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MCtigre
    Metzger,
    I gotta know! With a place like that why the heck are you moving to Austin? Granted Austin is the best place in Texas that I have live in since I grew up in Dallas- too damn snobby and went to school in Houston which is the other end of the spectrum but there is a lot going on here in Austin that is nice. Lots of Activities but the Views in Donnieville remind me of some places in Colorado Springs- Epic. I just hope you can enjoy this place for what it is and then envite me to go on some of those trails. Man those are nice.
    Take care and Welcome,
    MCtigre
    Thanks for the welcome. There are 2 reasons I came to austin (which I still struggle with). ok actually 3, but the third is more of an enabling reason, rather than affirmative one. 1: The people. Austin people are great. I've visited during the course of my work many times over the years, and the people have a great mix of intelligence and warmth, which is rare. It used to be that way in the bay area, before the orchards were plowed over to make silicon valley. 2: I gots the music affliction. Despite my efforts to ignore it, kill it, and elude it, music still finds a way to make itself a priority for me. I play a less-than-mean piano, drums, bass, others. Austin is a bootcamp for musicians who didn't go to music school. And it's very accessible for musicians of all levels. Nothing like it anywhere. Mind boggling. 3: (the enabling reason) My job allows me to live here or SF and I can afford to keep my home in SF while having my house here. So, I can still partake of the mtb goodness of nor-cal, escape the TX heat once in awhile, and still get my music fix. And enjoy being among the people of Austin.

So, b/t being able to spend time here and in SF, I think I'm getting all of my needs met.

I'm back in SF right now, but I'll be back to Austin in may. We should get together for a ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Patrick, what makes you think that if we has a state income tax your property taxes would go down? No government ever willingly gives up tax revenue.

FCUKERS!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

So nobody?

is riding? Im really friggin tired of looking at my bike on the rack.

tom

Chilling out
    TireSideDown

Check the Voodoo forum on Bikemojo, I'm sure somebody is posting rides for this w/e in town, even if the BCGB is "damp."

I know someone is going out to Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort TX on Sunday (longer open unprotected singletrack, mostly buff, fewer rocks - check out this thread on TMBRA for maps of the trail out there to see if you're interested) and would welcome company. I think he's intending a 10:30am wheels-down.

I'm going to be riding out at Rocky Hill Ranch on Sat @ 11am and you're sure welcome to come, but I'm not sure it's the kind of trail you're looking for though. I drive a silver subaru and ride a silver titus.

I'm planning on a nice in-town ride a week from Sat though, BCGB "expedition style" (long n moderate pace, with a few creek crossings involved). Watch the Voodoo forum on Bikemojo for the ride call - I may forget to come back here and post it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    TireSideDown

Check the Voodoo forum on Bikemojo, I'm sure somebody is posting rides for this w/e in town, even if the BCGB is "damp."

I know someone is going out to Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort TX on Sunday (longer open unprotected singletrack, mostly buff, fewer rocks - check out this thread on TMBRA for maps of the trail out there to see if you're interested) and would welcome company. I think he's intending a 10:30am wheels-down.

I'm going to be riding out at Rocky Hill Ranch on Sat @ 11am and you're sure welcome to come, but I'm not sure it's the kind of trail you're looking for though. I drive a silver subaru and ride a silver titus.

I'm planning on a nice in-town ride a week from Sat though, BCGB "expedition style" (long n moderate pace, with a few creek crossings involved). Watch the Voodoo forum on Bikemojo for the ride call - I may forget to come back here and post it.
    Cool, im down for whatever. My only operating bike is a 6 inch bike but I can pedal it just fine. I will hop on the voodoo forum now. Thanks Bear.

T.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    is riding? Im really friggin tired of looking at my bike on the rack.

tom
    I suggest getting in touch with some, dues paying, card carrying, 'mojos' for a ride. If, after doing so, you're bored to tears, c'mon back, complain, and we'll see what can be done.

CAK

Jan 2004

Wow...I'm I having Deja Vu?

The last few pages of this thread look alot like first few but this is just classic and I hope a joke...

He's also half-left - whining about a place he moved to, knowing it wouldn't satisfy him before he got there.

Funny thing about this; we can hang on any ride there is in CA, but they may get hurt trying the same coming out here.
    Metzger, I don't think it'll matter how much you try to explain it to them, they won't get it.

Maybe a picture would work better for you people. This was one of my local rides in SoCal, a 30 mile out and back from the house and of medium difficulty. This section is about 4.25 miles long and drops 4k feet.

I know, nothing as knarly as Austin, but it's a start.

mtbr member
    Metzger, I don't think it'll matter how much you try to explain it to them, they won't get it.

Hmmm...

That looks like a fun section.

CAK, you should come on out and join me for a run through two trails near the Greenbelt;
    Sidewinder and Rattlesnake. Bring your camera. And plenty of water. And a positive
    attitude. And make sure you eat well the night before and get plenty of sleep.

Can't be this weekend or the next, but the weekend of May 5th and 6th is open.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maybe a picture would work better for you people. This was one of my local rides in SoCal, a 30 mile out and back from the house and of medium difficulty. This section is about 4.25 miles long and drops 4k feet.

....as long as you know, CAK.

What's with all the body armor just to roll some smooth rocks with lots of places to fail cheaply?

Forget about riding with Pat, he'll bore you, maybe to death.

CAK

Jan 2004
    Hmmm...

That looks like a fun section.

CAK, you should come on out and join me for a run through two trails near the Greenbelt;
    Sidewinder and Rattlesnake. Bring your camera. And plenty of water. And a positive
    attitude. And make sure you eat well the night before and get plenty of sleep.
    Thanks for the invite! I would love to, sold my rig for a beach cruiser...remember, I'm in Houston

I know about heat, I had 200oz of water with me on that ride, if I remember correctly it was around 115 degrees that day. Always a good eat and sleep before 30 miles

....as long as you know, CAK.

What's with all the body armor just to roll some smooth rocks with lots of places to fail cheaply?

Forget about riding with Pat, he'll bore you, maybe to death.
    Thats just 40 feet of 4 miles brotha, there are some nice razor sharp head high granite sections in there also. Fail cheaply...you really need to get out to California, there is a 200ft shear drop off another 100 yards below on the right side where that picture was taken. Penalty for failure is absolute death.

In fact, my brother still lives in Socal, let me know if you ever go out that way...he'll hook you up...just bring your armor and full face...you'll use it, trust me.

Have a good day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the invite! I would love to, sold my rig for a beach cruiser...remember, I'm in Houston
    Bummer. Guess there's no way to show you what technical REALLY looks like in Austin, TX.

You'd be impressed. And it's a workout to boot. Well, for me it's a workout.

And although it's really none of my business - WTF are you doing in Houstink? Remember
    this; you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. Get outta there!

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

CAK

Jan 2004

Well...

I have no doubt Austin offers some nice techy riding, I've seen some of it. There is just a level of sheer decents and duration in SoCal you wont find in Austin. But hell, whatever the case, your right... it beats Houston.

I had a chance to transfer either to Austin, Dallas or Houston. Houston was a better job opportunity plus I'm closer to the beach. I have friends in Round Rock, I'm up there for work a couple of times every 4 month's. I've experienced alot of Austin traffic and it reminds me too much of why I left Los Angeles and I fear it's only gonna get worse. It seems like a mini-Los Angeles and I wanted to get away from the rat race.

Also, and I'm just going to be brutaly honest, I got a wierd vibe from the people there as well, which is echoed on this thread, anti-Californian. Didn't sit too well with me.

I'm not saying all Austonians are like that but it was a definite vibe. As har as Houston, yeah some parts are crap...like any city, just depends on where you decide to buy. I'm in the North East section in a community called Kingwood which is pretty nice. I really like all the pine forest here as well. Maybe one day I will re-evalute Austin but for now, Houston meets my needs.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Closer to the beach? If you really lived in socal, you know there is no "beach" in tx.
    edit: not questionin whether you really lived there, but your capabilities of evaluating a beach.

CAK

Jan 2004

Clarification...

Closer to the beach? If you really lived in socal, you know there is no "beach" in tx.
    edit: not questionin whether you really lived there, but your capabilities of evaluating a beach.
    Let me re-phrase...I mean ocean. I enjoy salt water fishing plus I have a friend with a 55 foot sail boat in Galveston. Kimah is really fun as well. As far as clarity of of water and breaks, yeah...comparing Texas beaches to California beaches would be like...comparing Austin hill bike riding to California Mountain bike riding

Although for me being in Texas, surfing is kinda out of the question but there were 4-6 foot breaks this past weekend in Galveston, so it is possible, just rare.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Let me re-phrase...I mean ocean. I enjoy salt water fishing plus I have a friend with a 55 foot sail boat in Galveston. Kimah is really fun as well. As far as clarity of of water and breaks, yeah...comparing Texas beaches to California beaches would be like...comparing Austin hill bike riding to California Mountain bike riding

Although for me being in Texas, surfing is kinda out of the question but there were 4-6 foot breaks this past weekend in Galveston, so it is possible, just rare.
    Right on, there are other things to do in the ocean than get drunk on tecate, surf and chase tail. I almost forgot. Makes me miss san diego.
    Nice one on the hill bike riding, with hills like this, I don't need mountains. But in houston, you need a fixie to break a sweat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maybe one day I will re-evalute Austin but for now, Houston meets my needs.
    Mountain biking worth a damn obviously isn't your list of needs. You had options and still selected Houston. There's nothing else to say.

See Pat, this is one big reason I don't waste too many bytes swimming against the stupid after I read it in these places.

CAK

Jan 2004

Thats what happens...

when you run out of logical, meaningful responses; you turn to name calling and character evaluation.

Mountain biking worth a damn obviously isn't your list of needs. You had options and still selected Houston. There's nothing else to say.

See Pat, this is one big reason I don't waste too many bytes swimming against the stupid after I read it in these places.
    Let me start off by saying you don't know me, nor do you have any idea of how important riding was for me; but let me educate you on some things. First, some things in life are actually more important than riding bikes. If you think leaving all of my imediate family in Los Angeles to come out here was an easy move, than you need to grow up. Second, I have a family to support which meant that I had to make sacrifices. If a better upbringing for my three year old daughter meant living in Houston, than thatís what takes priority...and it did. Do I miss riding, like you wouldnít believe. Do I feel solace in the fact that Iíve done everything in my power to give my child the best upbringing possible, hell yes. Do I feel solace in the fact that moving to Houston put me in a career position not obtainable living in Austin which also happens to be in the best interest of my family, hell yes.

So you see, some things in life are more important than My needs.

Oh, and one last piece of advise: it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool than to open it and remove any lingering doubt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    when you run out of logical, meaningful responses; you turn to name calling and character evaluation.

Let me start off by saying you don't know me, nor do you have any idea of how important riding was for me; but let me educate you on some things. First, some things in life are actually more important than riding bikes. If you think leaving all of my imediate family in Los Angeles to come out here was an easy move, than you need to grow up. Second, I have a family to support which meant that I had to make sacrifices. If a better upbringing for my three year old daughter meant living in Houston, than thatís what takes priority...and it did. Do I miss riding, like you wouldnít believe. Do I feel solace in the fact that Iíve done everything in my power to give my child the best upbringing possible, hell yes. Do I feel solace in the fact that moving to Houston put me in a career position not obtainable living in Austin which also happens to be in the best interest of my family, hell yes.

So you see, some things in life are more important than My needs.

Oh, and one last piece of advise: it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool than to open it and remove any lingering doubt.
    Everyone makes mistakes, CAK.

CAK

Jan 2004

Good one...

Everyone makes mistakes, CAK.
    If you consider putting your families needs before Mountain Biking a mistake than you need a reality check

Youíre looking like an idiot more and more every time you post. I suggest stopping now before you lose all credibility with anything you say, bike related or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Also, and I'm just going to be brutaly honest, I got a wierd vibe from the people there as well, which is echoed on this thread, anti-Californian. Didn't sit too well with me.

I'm not saying all Austonians are like that but it was a definite vibe.
    Yes, that is the vibe, but let me explain. 80% of austin is from somewhere else (mostly in texas).

Austin used to be a little town and then it exploded. A lot of californians came in. That wasn't bad. But the problem is they came in with bay area money and bay area buying styles.

The magnitude was out of whack. You come from the bay area where you sold your 800 sqft house for $450K ($50K above asking price) and you see that $100K buys you 3X the house. Let me just say property values were driven up by an ungodly amount.

Then the traffic got "bad". I say "bad" because most of these people have never left the state of texas, let alone spent an hour going 3 miles in LA or Moscow or Beijing.

I am from chicago and lived here for more than 10 years, and plan to die here. It's a great place. I can see the difference between californians and texas when they move into austin. I prefer the californians because they a.) have traveled outside of the state of texas and b.) don't say things like "impordant" or "fixin' to" or "might could".

Austin is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Cak if you want some riding near kemah me and a friend found a little trail it's really small but if your hurting for a trail just hit me up..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I prefer the californians because they a.) have traveled outside of the state of texas and b.) don't say things like "impordant" or "fixin' to" or "might could".

Austin is great.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes, that is the vibe, but let me explain. 80% of austin is from somewhere else (mostly in texas).

Austin used to be a little town and then it exploded. A lot of californians came in. That wasn't bad. But the problem is they came in with bay area money and bay area buying styles.

The magnitude was out of whack. You come from the bay area where you sold your 800 sqft house for $450K ($50K above asking price) and you see that $100K buys you 3X the house. Let me just say property values were driven up by an ungodly amount.

Then the traffic got "bad". I say "bad" because most of these people have never left the state of texas, let alone spent an hour going 3 miles in LA or Moscow or Beijing.

I am from chicago and lived here for more than 10 years, and plan to die here. It's a great place. I can see the difference between californians and texas when they move into austin. I prefer the californians because they a.) have traveled outside of the state of texas and b.) don't say things like "impordant" or "fixin' to" or "might could".

Austin is great.

just some insight (hopefully) on this. I'm a native of the bay area. so I've seen my home go from a beautiful, laid-back, paradise, full of orchards, music, and great people to "silicon valley", "lawrence livermore national lab", "the dot-com", etc, etc. The result today is a place where only about 30% of the residents own their homes, pollution, and an element of unfriendly people that some perceive as "californians".

Austin and the bay area are very much alike in this way. one has already gone through this change, and the other is still going through it. if places are great, with educational resources (stanford, cal, UT), and jobs (bio-tech, IT, etc.), particular if they are beautiful places, people will come and the place will change. the reason the average home in the bay area costs $750k is because a lot of people want to be here (including me). The reason austin has exploded in size and cost (relative to other cities in the region) is because people want to be there (including me). It's just a fact of being a great a place.

I don't remember, however, any of my friends or family ever begrudging others who moved to the bay area from china, other parts of asia, texas, NYC, etc. Fact is, we were all benefitting from the change. better jobs, fancier cars, bigger houses, etc. And californians don't typically have a california equivalent of "texas pride". it's a great place that speaks for itself, and californians are more individualistic rather than view themselves as a part of a whole (I'm being pretty general here). I can see the benefits and detriments to both views. But I think one of the cultural differences b/t californians and texans is that we don't really associate ourselves with a state. For example, I associate myself more with the mission district of San francisco (since that's where I'm from) than "the bay area" or "california". California is a big diverse place, so it's hard to draw any sort of "typical" attributes...except perhaps the spirit of individualism, that I think most californians share.

similarly I know great, thinking, friendly texans. but I also know some "texas pride" texans too. and that's cool, I guess. But they shouldn't begrudge people who move from california who happen to have more money than them. California, by itself, is the 5th largest economy in the world. moving from CA to TX is like moving from the u.s. to malaysia, in terms of monetary capability. who wouldn't take advantage of that ability?

anyway, I understand the point of people who've been in austin for a long time and see their paradise changing due to people moving to the area. all I can say is welcome to the club of 'great places to live'. it's sort of a double-edged sword. But I'm doing my best to keep austin cool by being friendly, supporting the music scene, and not being a dick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    just some insight (hopefully) on this. I'm a native of the bay area. so I've seen my home go from a beautiful, laid-back, paradise, full of orchards, music, and great people to "silicon valley", "lawrence livermore national lab", "the dot-com", etc, etc. The result today is a place where only about 30% of the residents own their homes, pollution, and an element of unfriendly people that some perceive as "californians".

Austin and the bay area are very much alike in this way. one has already gone through this change, and the other is still going through it. if places are great, with educational resources (stanford, cal, UT), and jobs (bio-tech, IT, etc.), particular if they are beautiful places, people will come and the place will change. the reason the average home in the bay area costs $750k is because a lot of people want to be here (including me). The reason austin has exploded in size and cost (relative to other cities in the region) is because people want to be there (including me). It's just a fact of being a great a place.

I don't remember, however, any of my friends or family ever begrudging others who moved to the bay area from china, other parts of asia, texas, NYC, etc. Fact is, we were all benefitting from the change. better jobs, fancier cars, bigger houses, etc. And californians don't typically have a california equivalent of "texas pride". it's a great place that speaks for itself, and californians are more individualistic rather than view themselves as a part of a whole (I'm being pretty general here). I can see the benefits and detriments to both views. But I think one of the cultural differences b/t californians and texans is that we don't really associate ourselves with a state. For example, I associate myself more with the mission district of San francisco (since that's where I'm from) than "the bay area" or "california". California is a big diverse place, so it's hard to draw any sort of "typical" attributes...except perhaps the spirit of individualism, that I think most californians share.

similarly I know great, thinking, friendly texans. but I also know some "texas pride" texans too. and that's cool, I guess. But they shouldn't begrudge people who move from california who happen to have more money than them. California, by itself, is the 5th largest economy in the world. moving from CA to TX is like moving from the u.s. to malaysia, in terms of monetary capability. who wouldn't take advantage of that ability?

anyway, I understand the point of people who've been in austin for a long time and see their paradise changing due to people moving to the area. all I can say is welcome to the club of 'great places to live'. it's sort of a double-edged sword. But I'm doing my best to keep austin cool by being friendly, supporting the music scene, and not being a dick.
    btw...i didn't mean for the 'monetary ability' comment to come off braggy or to put down anyone. just meant to give an understanding of how and why the influx of californians has raised property values, just as the influx of people from other places raised property values of the bay area. People from london and hong kong still view san francisco as a 'steal', which is why our housing prices continue to go up when the so-called "bubble" has already burst. Hey, wait a minute...I just realized I HATE LONDONERS AND HONG KONGERS!!! jerks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The reality is that californians fit in fine when they come here and acclimate to the new surroundings.

People give them **** when them come here and rag on the fact that "xyz is soooo much better back in california."

Just come here and enjoy it and you will be fine. Simply reconize that it is a different place and you will have no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I hope you didn't think I was ragging on anything about austin or tx. I responded to this thread originally, because the poster was moving from CA and was curious about trails in austin. there were some comments that 'austin mtb is great' or something to that effect, which simply isn't true, if you consider CA mtb 'great'. I guess it depends on what you consider to be great mtb. that's all i was trying to say. I thought the poster could use a perspective of someone who has mtb'ed in CA and in Austin.

When someone told me that the music scene was SOOOO much better in Austin, I didn't get mad at them and reject their words. I visited austin, decided they were right, and bought a house here. I think you'll get along with californians (or anyone from other places) better if you understand that some things are better in other places and not reject that idea as some sort of attack.

I'm here voluntarily, baby. Austin rocks for me. But mtb is better in CA, IMHO.

In exile
    <snip>I'm here voluntarily, baby. Austin rocks for me. But mtb is better in CA, IMHO.
    It depends. I had a great time in NorCal 3 years ago and a great time in San Diego last fall, but I wouldn't want to live with that many people. I have had just as much fun on the bike with some of the whiney Texans posting here as I did in Cali. I've also had that much fun in Arkansas.

As far as body armour goes, it seems like everyone wears it. We rode Noble and peeps strapped up to ride less techy stuff than me without it. It's all preference and what feels good.

And I don't even mind the Cali folks being here. It's just when they tell me how much better Cali is. I always have an answer for them that involves I 10 going west.

In exile
    So how did you like the trails, Tom?

I may be down on Wednesday for some rolling. I may not though. I will be down soon enough .

mtbr member
    Hmm, I am moving to Bay Area in 2 months from College Station, got a job at Cal B.

mtbr member
    I hope you didn't think I was ragging on anything about austin or tx. I responded to this thread originally, because the poster was moving from CA and was curious about trails in austin. there were some comments that 'austin mtb is great' or something to that effect, which simply isn't true, if you consider CA mtb 'great'. I guess it depends on what you consider to be great mtb. that's all i was trying to say. I thought the poster could use a perspective of someone who has mtb'ed in CA and in Austin.

When someone told me that the music scene was SOOOO much better in Austin, I didn't get mad at them and reject their words. I visited austin, decided they were right, and bought a house here. I think you'll get along with californians (or anyone from other places) better if you understand that some things are better in other places and not reject that idea as some sort of attack.

I'm here voluntarily, baby. Austin rocks for me. But mtb is better in CA, IMHO.

depends on where you ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    So how did you like the trails, Tom?

I may be down on Wednesday for some rolling. I may not though. I will be down soon enough .
    The trails (so far as I've seen) are pretty good! Im really not used to the constant up and down, sort of frustrating. I hate bombing sections with my seat up so I was the total Austin newbie and kept adjusting my seat.

The climbs are much more technical than im used to, really challenging for sure. The little quick downs were really fun.....too short....but fun. I think if I lighten up the SixPack a little bit I will have a little bit more fun with it.

Thanks again to all the BikeMojo guys for putting up with me and being such good hosts.

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, looks like he is having a miserable time

mtbr member
    The trails (so far as I've seen) are pretty good! Im really not used to the constant up and down, sort of frustrating. I hate bombing sections with my seat up so I was the total Austin newbie and kept adjusting my seat.

The climbs are much more technical than im used to, really challenging for sure. The little quick downs were really fun.....too short....but fun. I think if I lighten up the SixPack a little bit I will have a little bit more fun with it.

Thanks again to all the BikeMojo guys for putting up with me and being such good hosts.

Tom

[cough]

Not that anyone disputed what I said:

"You're right. We don't have the same type or quantity of trails as CA. And we don't have
    the same awesome vistas.

But Austin does have some of the most technical trails anywhere. Austin trails offer a
    challenging workout similar to weightlifting and gymnastics. If you're a long distance
    "runner", you're in for disappointment. There will be no 'find your rhythm, settle in and

One thing Austin has taught me is that as long as I can clean the techie sections here,
    "

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    [cough]

Not that anyone disputed what I said:

"You're right. We don't have the same type or quantity of trails as CA. And we don't have
    the same awesome vistas.

"

What's wrong with you Pat? Not everyone gets to live in Houston, OK.

Got Mojo?
    Yeah, looks like he is having a miserable time

great shot John.

BTW, I am gonna try to make the Shaggy One's ride Saturday.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am probably in. If I can get on the 3:00 flight tomorrow the odds go up greatly.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I hear they have some peckerwoods up there though.
    Eat your dinner, Tina! Gosh.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    To the fellow in Houston that sacrificed his riding in order to provide for his family. I thought I'd steer you toward Smithville, Texas if you ever get the itch to ride.

Most of the riders at Rocky Hill Ranch come from Houston. It's about an hour and a half drive from most parts of Houston. Longer if you live near Kemah.

It ain't California, Colorado, or Arizona, but, I've met people from all of those places that have told me RHR is one of their favorite places to ride. One of the big differences that they enjoyed is that there was no three hour climb for a twenty minute descent. Though you can rack up 1200 feet of climbing over 16-20 miles. Each climb is closely followed by an equal descent. It is fun. It flows. Oh, and there are Pine Trees. A lot of the trail is shaded, so it's popular when the heat is on.

You should have bought your Reign to Texas. That's all I ride down here. Plush.

If you ever get back into riding, I'd be happy to show you around. You can see some picks and check out a map by visiting boomersrockyhill.com

The place used to be perfect, cuz you could get cold beer and great food on site. But the Saloon has been closed for almost a year now.

Just because it isn't like California doesn't mean you can't ride and have a lot of fun. Rent a bike one weekend and try riding some choice Texas trails, then let us know what you think. I think you will find it different, but very satisfying.

Meanwhile, I am planning a twelve day trip to visit my buds up in Colorado and re-visit some of that air-conditioned riding as things turn hot down here. These are some of the guys who travel down here to ride in the cooler seasons, because they love these Texas trails too.

Peace out. Ride on.

Members who have read this thread: 0