Rash of High End Bike Thefts in Austin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rash of High End Bike Thefts in Austin

There has been a serious rash of high-end bike thefts in central austin in the last two to three weeks. These people can get a bike of a rear mounted or roof rack in under a minute. They have taken bikes AND rack out of the bed of a truck and this gang has been hitting both mountain bikes and road bikes. For a a time, they were using a stolen truck, but that truck has been recovered. There are also stealing out of open garages.

Someone was speculating today that they were following vehicles with bikes on racks, and stealing the bikes while the owners were inside at a restaurant/business. Be extra cautious; if you bike is on your car or truck, it is NOT safe, even if the rack is locked. Don't leave your garage unattended with the door open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Make sure Ward keeps a close eye on that beaver!

mtbr member
    bleh, I suppose this means I need to start chaining the bikes and the rack to the spare tire.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    It wont take long for one of the bikes to turn up, then they will get caught. Stealing a chain of high end bikes, means the owners all most likely report them. Sucks to hear, I hope they get shot while entering someones garage.
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

Big Boy
    check craigslist if you lost a bike. i was asking a guy some questions about a trek fuel ex8 he had in austin, and the guy knew nothing about the bike ie frame size, drivetrain, etc. I understand not everyone that owns a bike knows everything about it, but most people that drop two thousand or more dollars on a bike are going to know something about it. Just thought it was fishy. I asked if he had a receipt for purchase and he bought it used...
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I hate this. I commute to work 4 times a week and im always paranoid. Every time i walk away from my locked bike, it crosses my mind that one day it will get stolen.

I work at ACC by highland mall and my bike is locked outside, right in front of the desk of a police officer. But when i go to the gym im not as safe. Every 5-10min, I walk up close to the window by where my bike is to check its still there.

I think APD should do some sting operations.. ive heard its been done in a few cities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had my bike stolen a few years ago out at City Park while I was taking a dump, they took it right off of my roof and left the front wheel. I believe this was attributed to the coach/bike thief from a few years back that APD busted and connected to a slew of thefts, but regardless, it sucked. It stinks to hear that this **** is happening again! They will get what is coming to them!

Members who have read this thread: 0