Race tire Recomendations, El Paso area- Mtbr.com
    The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

Race tire Recomendations, El Paso area

I have had terrible luck with sidewall punctures in El Paso and am worried about the Puzzler and the Coyote Classic.

Trashed Specialized Control and S-Works sidewalls WAY too fast, as well as Maxxis standard casings. All Tubless with Stans. The last Speccy Captain Control I ran tore a 3 inch hole about 50ft from the TOP of Mundy's Gap... and I was unable to repair.

I have had good luck with Specialized GRID, Maxxis LUST, and recently Maxxis EXO protection tires, but the GRID and LUST tires are awfully heavy and I cant find an EXO I like in the right tread/size combo.

I'm looking for a good El Paso tread pattern, sub 700g if hopefullly, with tough sidewalls to run tubeless . Until I find it, I'll keep spinning the super reliable tractor tires I have mounted up now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would post in the NM forum, then you will get some cruces people to chime in. Are you 26 or 29? Front, rear, or both?

I would guess the icon exo or snakeskin schwalbes(ralph and ron) are going to get recommended, not sure how tough they really are, but they are light. I would like to ride them but they cost too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm, really depends on how aggressive you ride and how much you weigh. But generally, the bigger the better here in El Paso! I'm on 29'r and usually run a 2.55 WTB up front and a 2.0 in the rear. Big volume with tough sidewalls and lots of sealant. When in doubt go with the burlier tires! Might be a tad slower going up Mundie's Gap but you'll love them everywhere else.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog: