mtbr member

Possum Kingdom ??

Beside what I can find on Mtb project I have not found much info on possum kingdom. Is anyone here familiar with it or rode it? Anyway to check if the trails are open?
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Me and a couple of buddies rode it back in August. It was a perfect trail to highlight the benefits of my Stache 29+ . There were rocks, some sand, some flow and some tough climbing. We will definitely do it again. Most of the rocks were at the east end and the sand was at the west end. The wide trails were a welcomed change from the tree gates that are on most the trails here in DFW. We parked at the Redbird trailhead and rode west using the direction suggested on MTB Project.
    I have no clue where to find current trail condition status. The trail is on Brazos River Authority domain but looking on their website doesn't list any trail status. The office is only opened M-F 8:00-5:00. We can go to Weather Underground to see how much rain they have had. Right now it looks like the last significant rain was 10/31. For the past week they have received less than .1". The closest weather station to check is here. https://www.wunderground.com/persona...20181109/mweek
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check youtube.com for videos.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Me and a couple of buddies rode it back in August. It was a perfect trail to highlight the benefits of my Stache 29+ . There were rocks, some sand, some flow and some tough climbing. We will definitely do it again. Most of the rocks were at the east end and the sand was at the west end. The wide trails were a welcomed change from the tree gates that are on most the trails here in DFW. We parked at the Redbird trailhead and rode west using the direction suggested on MTB Project.
    I have no clue where to find current trail condition status. The trail is on Brazos River Authority domain but looking on their website doesn't list any trail status. The office is only opened M-F 8:00-5:00. We can go to Weather Underground to see how much rain they have had. Right now it looks like the last significant rain was 10/31. For the past week they have received less than .1". The closest weather station to check is here. https://www.wunderground.com/persona...20181109/mweek
    Shortly after my post I went down the weather rabit hole with USGA BRA and water data website, and another trail near by was open as well. I have had pretty good luck using those systems in the past, good to know someone else does something simuliar.

We rode the trail today, was a good test of my new YT jeffsy for sure. Trail was spot on as you described. Was a little difficult to carry speed but still had a good flow to it. We rode it in the direction we found on MTB project. All was good except for one loop we will be riding that the other way around from here on out. We will jam on it more for sure.

mtbr member
    I was going to go there today myself but my buddies who went with me last time were unable to go. One was out of town and the other had fatigue from having to make a two hour one way trip last Saturday to Tyler SP so we could get a ride in and didn't feel like doing another two hour one way trip this weekend to ride. Fortunately Waterloo opened up in Denison so we went there.
    How do you like your Jeffsey? 29er or 27.5? I was considering the 29er before I bought my Stache but I went with the simplicity of the hardtail instead. It's what I have been riding for the past 27 years anyway.

mtbr member
    We debated going to tyler but PK is closer for us. Tyler has twice shown open online and called to verify. Was turned away at the gate both times. Still one of my favorite trails, been a lot since 2004.

How do you like waterloo, and barber hills? Been meaning to venture up that way.

I really like the jeffry so far. I picked up The 29 CF. Took it to Revellie Peak 3 weeks ago and PK so far. It pedals up hill great, smooth down and handles jumping and big drops pretty good so far. I just need the weather to cooperate so I can ride some familiar trails. For the money I could not beat it. was eyeing the hightower and Yeti 130 but I cannot justify spending that kind of money. I am more than pleased. It was nerve racking as hell dropping that money and waiting though. I had a little trouble with sizing I am 5'8-9" ish. Went with a medium and it is spot on except for the bar width being a hair wide. Dropper is almost fully slammed in the seat tube. I would not hesitate to buy another bike from them. Customer service was great, called and spoke with 4 people, on 4 different days before pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Just saw that Oak Cliff Preserve is open (tacky)! The last time it was the only DFW trail open, it was packed. Don't mind sharing the trail, you just might encounter a couple of traffic jams. Also, if you've never ride there when it's listed as tacky, be prepared for some slick rocks on a few of the climbs.

Sooo... is Tyler actually open this weekend?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Delicate post....... Internets running the show.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Just saw that Oak Cliff Preserve is open (tacky)! The last time it was the only DFW trail open, it was packed. Don't mind sharing the trail, you just might encounter a couple of traffic jams. Also, if you've never ride there when it's listed as tacky, be prepared for some slick rocks on a few of the climbs.

Sooo... is Tyler actually open this weekend?
    I always call tyler before I load my bike.........

OCNP can get slicker than bull snot on some of those rocks.

mtbr member
    Waterloo isn't bad. It is a short trail, only a little over 5 miles long. It's better when both Binkley and Waterloo are open. Go do one, eat lunch the hit the other.

As far as Tyler goes so far my favorite trail there is Lindsey Park. It's not on the Dorba website but it is on MTB Project. The trail is about 15-16 miles long, has some cool features and lots of flow. Lord willing I'm going there next Sunday.

I'll be glad when some of the local trails open. My fitness has gone to pot. I'm used to riding twice a week and that hasn't happened in a long time. It's going to be moths before anything a Grapevine will be opened because of the flooding. Then it rains just enough every week to keep the other trails from drying out too. UGH!
    When do you think Sansom might open back up? I've only been there once and really enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    I was trying to remember that trail last month when I was out at tyler. Haven't been in at least 5 years.

Mother nature needs to get back on her meds. We are forecasted for more rain Monday in FTW. I wish I knew but at this point who knows. I don't think there was any flooding at sansom and I know that they are still doing trail work. It drains good out there. I haven't been there in over a year, and I have heard there is some new stuff. Take a trail map. Some good loops to hit, jojos, damn drop, and 3fer madness.