Possible move to Houston from NW Atlanta, any advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Possible move to Houston from NW Atlanta, any advice?

So... I have a possible opportunity to move to Houston area from Atlanta. Kind of spoiled where I am as I currently have close to 30 miles of trail (Blankets Creek and Rope Mill) within 10 minutes of my house and a bunch more within an hour or two.

I have 3 children so obviously a good school district if fairly high on the priority list. I have read a few threads on here but was curious as to what's a good area to move and how far will I have to drive for some quality trails.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There are a few trails in Houston, but you will be sacrificing a lot on the MTB front if you move here. I live in The Woodlands which is a nice area north of Houston, just got back from a weekend trip to ride some Arkansas trails. The best trail in Houston proper is called the "Anthills" its ok, but recently gets flooded a lot and you cant ride it for weeks till it dries out. There are a handful of decent trails within a two hours drive of Houston, but if you work a full time job and have kids your only going to be doing that on the weekends and it will take all day due to the drive time there and back, which sucks. The traffic is really bad here, so if you plan to ride regularly during the week you need to strategically live very near a trail or it will take forever to get there during rush hour traffic. In short Houston sucks for MTB, don't do it. Wherever you live in this area you will be sacrificing either commute time, schools or trails or all three. If we knew what part of town your job was at that would help. Best case scenario is probably live in Sugarland or katy(for schools) and work in the Energy corridor and ride Anthills after work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok, so the office I'm looking at is in Spring (although there are others around). My wife has found the woodlands and that's where she is most interested at the moment. Doesn't sound like there are many trails around there.

I was afraid I was going to read something like this. I'm definitely going to look in the Sugarland/Katy area now that you mentioned it. Traffic in Atlanta is a nightmare as well so that won't be new and with all the roadwork it's REALLY bad lately. Here though if you strategically position yourself you can get around it.

Thanks for the info. as it helps. If I decide I'll have a good bit of time to find a place as the relo will cover home finding trips for my wife and I.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If your going to work in Spring, I would want to live in Spring. Living near your work and reducing commute time will be a big quality of life consideration. The other major trail in Houston is called "Cypress Creek" and its in Spring. Spring is a decent place to live, good housing options. The Woodlands is close to spring, but will put you further from trails and is pretty expensive for housing compared to Spring. Im not sure about Spring Schools but I would think they are decent. Probably a good idea to come down here for a weekend with your bike if your serious about this. If the $$$ is soo good you have to do it I understand, but from a trail perspective I would still say don't do it.

mtbr member
    I lived in Atlanta for three years. I rode Big Creek frequently. I loved the climate, the endless trails, proximity to the mountains, the diversity of people and food, hiking and camping, etc. Houston, in comparison, is a flat, humid, sprawling, dirty, cultureless, swampy hellhole of endless traffic and shitty people. there is a good food there because there is nothing else to do. I live in Austin now and I can't see myself living in any other part of Texas for those reasons.

My in-laws are in the Spring area. That is close to Cypress Creek, which has a ton of trails that are pretty fun. you won't die of boredom in Houston, but I think you will regret it.

mtbr member
    Austinite also, but was there to ride once. Memorial Park is cool and Jack Brooks was cool. Parents in Snellville so I always hit Yellow River and Olympic Trails over Thanksgiving which are 10 minutes away. Looking forward to Oak Mtn Jeckyl and Hyde on the drive, then try Blankets and Chicopee? I've done Fools Gold for the hardcore.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I lived in Atlanta for three years. I rode Big Creek frequently. I loved the climate, the endless trails, proximity to the mountains, the diversity of people and food, hiking and camping, etc. Houston, in comparison, is a flat, humid, sprawling, dirty, cultureless, swampy hellhole of endless traffic and shitty people. there is a good food there because there is nothing else to do. I live in Austin now and I can't see myself living in any other part of Texas for those reasons.

My in-laws are in the Spring area. That is close to Cypress Creek, which has a ton of trails that are pretty fun. you won't die of boredom in Houston, but I think you will regret it.
    Yikes! Not exactly a ringing endorsement! Traffic in Atlanta is pretty bad if you live in the burbs so I'll be pretty prepared for that part at least. I completely realize the hiking, camping is going to be a challenge with the exception of a trip to Austin (which I will do).

Funny you say dirty, as when I speak to people who have lived in both (some in my mountain biking group here are from Houston) they mention that Houston is a very clean city compared to Atlanta (which I definitely wouldn't describe as clean). I guess I'll find out.

As far as the people, for my job I travel all over the U.S. and I have met great and rude people in all areas of the country so I'm not really concerned there. I've never had issues with getting along with anyone. If anything the Southern hospitality in Atlanta to me is more of a smile in front of you cuss you behind your back type of place but that's just me.

Appreciate the feedback, sometimes going in expecting the worst could be the best thing. My wife is excited after the first trip so that's half the battle. Also found some outstanding school districts as well (which is a top priority). At this point the move in imminent so it is what it is. Just too good of an overall opportunity.

Thanks again and keep them coming!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's the 4th largest city so it has all the same pro's and con's of any big metro. Some areas are great, some are crap. Try to live as close as you can to your work, traffic can be a burden at times and Houston is just so big. If your job is in Spring, look around Spring or The Woodlands. Anywhere else and you'll soon hate your commute. If that's not an option, look to the NW side/Cypress area. Both of my kids came up through Cypress Fairbanks ISD and it is arguably the best around this area.

Trails closest to Spring:
    Flintridge Trail in the Woodlands - very short and twisty, maybe 3 miles long. Timberlane near Beltway 8 and hardy Toll Road - again very short and twisty. Cypresswoood @ Collins Park - 7-8 miles of flat, sandy singletrack, fast, low tech, Cypress Creek @ Hwy 249 at Cypresswood Drive - Probably the best trail system in town. About 11 miles of singletrack, twisty, mostly flat, some fun technical sections and some jumps and fun things hidden in the woods. Anthills is really fun, lots of tech and jumps and things, far west side, not close to Spring but probably second best trail in town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    don't move here...seriously...but if you do, don't live in sugar land if you work I'm spring, you'll be commuting for an hour

mtbr member
    Former Houstonite here, now living in Denver (don't hate me). All my family and a few friends live in Houston, so I still spend a week or two in Houston a year. A good friend of mine lives in the Energy corridor and he showed me the Anthills (Buffalo Bayou) trails a few years ago. Pretty fun trail system with tech sections, small jumps and drops here and there, but as a previous poster mentioned it is prone to flooding and takes FOREVER to dry out. I am from Spring originally, so I know Cypress Creek trails. Decent. I would break it down like this. If you're biggest concern is work (oil and gas???) then Houston is a good spot for a career move, and the schools are decent. However, if you are really concerned about MTB ride quality, then look elsewhere. I'd say consider moving to Denver, but it is getting so ridiculously expensive to live here that if you didn't buy a house here 10 years ago, you're going to get hosed with housing costs. If you do end up moving to Houston, I suggest you get into motocross or endurocross. Much more options for two wheel adventures.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Houston is a miserable place geographically and politically. There are no trails worth mentioning, the traffic is awful, the climate makes a sauna seem appealing, and the lack of zoning leads to some very interesting neighbors.

It had better be BIG money taking you to Houston.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk